Servicing yourself?

jaxx

do all of you Z owners take your 350's to a mechanic to get it serviced? none of you carry out servicing yourself? or are you all just paying for a dealers stamp? understandable.

on reading this forum it seems that there is no majour work to be done. oil/fluid levels etc, all of which with a very basic knowledge of car maintinance you could carry out yourself.

going to do some more reading before asking away, i want to know the P1,P2,P3 differences and at what years/milages things need to be done.

I do it all myself....its so easy...if you do it yourself you know its been done and you WILL save £100s. Even belt changes take less than an hour...could be done in 15mins if you dont bother to clean etc. I used a large syringe to get oil in the diff and gearbox, but it is all very simple and straight forward.

I check on the condition of the car and judge myself if its been looked after...a stamp in the book is just that a stamp in a book...so what!!!!

i know you know your cars, same as i do, but we are a limited breed; your average joe bloggs goes for a fully stamped up book. i don't use dealerships for servicing because i don't trust their monkies. i go to an indpendent who i know and trust. i put myself at a disadvantage as well becuase joe bloggs also likes it to be full dealer service.

Mr Biscuit...yes I know what you are saying and dont dissagree, however, I strongly urge anyone looking at cars not to just go for the book and look for some stamps....go on condition and if possible meet the person that owned it and suss him/her out. Personally I would not trust any garage with any of my cars including the Zed...okay maybe some!!!

I haven't had mine longer than to do oil, all the filtres and belts which I did myself. Anything more complicated I probably would take it to a very good garage here in the village. But another interesting fact I discovered yesterday is if you have breakdown insurance esp. breakdown warranty and need to use it, you may not be covered if you DIY

:drive1

servicing isn't difficult, but i get a good independent to do it for the stamps in the book. a car with a full service history is far easier to sell than one with no stamps.

I agree it may be eaiser to sell but the stamp isnt worth that much more. e.g. a fsh car might sell for say 10k and a non fsh for 9k lets say, You will have saved over 1k easily from not getting the stamps. A car that has been worked on is worth more to me personally as I know it will be done properly.

yi im same, service what i can or if im being lazy i will give it to somone i trust and can stamp it. i know of people who service their own cars and manage to get it stamped anyway, friend of a friend and all that....so yi stamps look good but do they really mean anything.

and as far as the references to this mr joe bloggs...........he aint looking for a 3.5L V6, 300bhp fun house lol! :D

good to hear everyones opinions on this, cheers :thumbs:

Stamps from reputable garages give greater peace of mind which you cant put a price on. I overlooked a lot of zeds which didn't have FSH. I don't like the idea of some weekend mechanic doing the servicing. But that's just me.

Guy at work here was quoted £4,900 for a service and some work on his Maserati :scare:

He wen't to an Independant and now it is ONLY £2,800 :surrender

not much cheaper to service a r35, ask 350zPaul lmao, i still remember the phone call from him

• 2 weeks later...