Asbestos!

chippy

To top off our gas warm air central heating boiler packing up a week ago and and being condemned, Jersey Gas have also now confirmed that our flue is also made of Asbestos and needs to be removed so that they can fit the new boiler and a replacement flue.

Anyone know how much something like that it going to cost to remove? Are we talking 00's or 000's?

sorry ro be the bearer of bad news but that won't be cheap.

i worked with aspbestos units on building sites; it requires people to be fully kitted out; plus extraction etc. cant be any risk of residue; nasty stuff. probably looking well into the 1000's for it not hundreds.

might be wrong, but i don't remember the service being cheap. for such a small job as a flew you might be alright

Sorry to reinforce but your talking several thousand. Its a bit of a wild stab at a price but £2k if its a very short flu (i.e just the thickness of the wall its in) and a lot more if it runs for a serious length.

If it's short I'd say you're better off doing it yourself. Just rent proper breathing equiptment and hammer the stuff out.

Having said all that I'm famous for talking bollocks so you're better to get a pro in to at least quote.

Cheers guys. :bang:

The flue runs from the 1st floor cupboard, up through the ceiling into the roof space, then along a bit and then up to vented ridge tile on the roof. Not sure if the whole flu is asbestos or just some of it, although the whole thing has to come out.

It's going to have to be a pro job though. The father in law has asbestosmosis, so they're fk'all chance of my Mrs letting me anywhere near it!

Have a put a call in to a local remover, so hopefully get an idea by the end of the week. Hopefully wont have to sell a kidney, otherwise we'll just have to be cold for a while!

Cheers guys. :bang:

The flue runs from the 1st floor cupboard, up through the ceiling into the roof space, then along a bit and then up to vented ridge tile on the roof. Not sure if the whole flu is asbestos or just some of it, although the whole thing has to come out.

My quote was £2,400 for removing and re-fitting the boiler in it's current location, again like yours Flue heading north to the roof. I've received a reduced quote to £1,600 and that's to replace and move the boiler to an outside wall.

This way I don't need any Flue modifications which cuts the costs.

Might be worth considering if you can move the boiler to an outside wall? :thumbs:

Feel really sorry for you fella. Its the last thing anyone needs to pay for somehting like that, but you're not alone.

My neighbours garden wall fell down just before christmas at it cost them £10k to fix. They are a young couple and its their first home, not even someone loaded.

At my first property I owned a flat that was in a block of 6 that were owned by a housing association. They decided the roof needed replacing for £16k and asked me to pay 1/6 of it. This timing was great as they decided to do it exactly 1 week after a for sale board for my flat was put up outside. :bang:

Share your pain buddy!

I work with asbestos alot buddy and don't let the scare mungering bother you. :lol:

By law there's nothing that says you can't do it yourself as long you just get a mask, White desposable suite, plastic coated gloves and some thick plastic bags labelled asbestos all which could be got from a builders merchant and to dispose off it you can take two bags at a time down to your local recycling (refuse) site and dispose off it for free

And that's the truth buddy just checked with my health and safety guy which runs our building sites, we've just done the same on a big demolition job bigger scale but same idea but got a asbestos skip costing £400 a time which you'd get a hundred flues in!

Asbestos firms are like day light robbers they only do the same but charge you mental costs for the privledge

I am in total agreement with Shire as I am actually an asbestos surveyor and find it every day. :) The only thing is, you can remove asbestos cement yourself, like the flue pipe or a garage. But not Asbestos Insulation Board which is the dangerous stuff.

As said above get a decent mask and paper coveralls, lay down some plastic sheeting, rip the stuff out yourself, bag it up and dispose somewhere (preferably at nighttime :lol:) "nearly" free solution!

people hear asbestos and freak out, but a quick job like this will be harmless unless you grind the stuff up and snort it that is.

R

what shire says makes sense. only reason we had to deal with asbestos units was that the contractors we worked for had to use them.

if you can do it yourself i would. only thing i would say is buy a decent respirator. i use a 3M one for spraying paint cost me about 30 quid an is excellent.

use the overalls and at the end of the job take them out back and burn them.

the fibres are only harmful if your disturbing them,

as said above. its only dangerous when broken, so if poss take it apart at the flue joints, and keep it damp. just wear the right PPE, and dispose of it properly. if your realy worried get a check done to see what type it is. if its low risk do it. if its high risk pay them to do it.

Personally I'd move the location of the boiler and flue and leave the existing flue in it's current location. Asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed and airborne I'm guessing the flue has been there thirty yrs and caused no one any harm. :thumbs:

+1

There are three types of the stuff. Brown White and Blue. Blue will have your lungs out in 9 mths if it goes wrong. The other two will take 15 years or so.

A 3M mask will only annoy you and will not protect you. You need a positive pressure mask with the correct spec filter. These are available about the place - googl it.

All debris must be double bagged with the outer bag showing the word asbestos. This can be disposed of by a haz waste company - viridor for ex.

Check it's actually asbestos ! Lots of people run around in circles for feck all. Asbestos was touted as a wonder material years ago so loads of people incorporated the name into thier products, asbestolux etc.

It does not actually mean there is any asbestos in it. Take a sample and get it analyzed, then decide what to do.

I would do it my self ONLY if I could get the kit. You will need lots of poly sheet to line walls etc to allow a complete clean down. top tip: before starting spray with carpet adhesive and when you finish spray EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE with hairspray. This catches the fibres and causes them to fall to the ground where you can wrap them up in said poly to throw away.

hope this helps :thumbs:

There are three types of the stuff. Brown White and Blue. Blue will have your lungs out in 9 mths if it goes wrong. The other two will take 15 years or so.

A 3M mask will only annoy you and will not protect you. You need a positive pressure mask with the correct spec filter. These are available about the place - googl it.

All debris must be double bagged with the outer bag showing the word asbestos. This can be disposed of by a haz waste company - viridor for ex.

Check it's actually asbestos ! Lots of people run around in circles for feck all. Asbestos was touted as a wonder material years ago so loads of people incorporated the name into thier products, asbestolux etc.

It does not actually mean there is any asbestos in it. Take a sample and get it analyzed, then decide what to do.

I would do it my self ONLY if I could get the kit. You will need lots of poly sheet to line walls etc to allow a complete clean down. top tip: before starting spray with carpet adhesive and when you finish spray EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE with hairspray. This catches the fibres and causes them to fall to the ground where you can wrap them up in said poly to throw away.

hope this helps :thumbs:

all good info but then do an air test before reoccupation of the premise

Get some quotes, a friend of mine removes asbestos for a living and is surprisingly cheap... he wouldn't travel to Jersey though unfortunately. It sounds like it'd probably be the kind of thing that would take 30 minutes and they could dispose of along with a larger job's waste.

Excellent, cheers guys.

It was actually the Jersey Gas engineer that suspected it might be asbestos when he came to see if the boiler was repareable on Friday. The engineer and surveyor came around today and checked the flue and took samples. They weren't really sure by the time they left but called this afternoon to confirm that it was. Trouble is there's only two yellow page Asbo removers, one number was dead and other just an anserphone. Have left a message but kind of stuck until they call, before I know what the damage is going to be.

Good to know it might not be as bad as I thought though :blink:

My Family are a demo and asbestos removal company, the Law as was stated earlier is you dont need a license to remove it if it is in a solid piece. its only dangerous once you start breaking it up(thats when you need a license) and the dust starts to fly. Just doble bag it and get in touch with your council to come and remove it for you.