Do I risk it ? :/

cerealuk

Just looking out at the snow outside my window and its building up nicely. Not sure whether to risk the drive to work or not. I have to be in work for 8am and usually leave about 7:30 to get there in plenty of time.

Never driven the zed in snow before (in fact never driven it in winter as only got it last Feb). Problem I have is my work expect me to be in no matter what it takes (trainee air traffic controller) so dunno what to do :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Im considering leaving at like 6:30 in the hope that the roads are quiet so I can plod along slowly.. only other alternative is walk.. 8 miles

Or try and persuade my dad to let me use his shed..

Is it really that bad driving a zed in the snow ? :/

where in the uk aree you

Im in Wimborne, Dorset

if your unsure, i'd find alternate transport. i've been doing it for 7 years in rwd, and dont mind it. but if you haven't done it before and your being relied upon to be a work; find a new route.

If there's any inclines to drive up that are icey you may get stuck whereas a micra would have no probs.

Also it's hard to see the curbs so rims may be at risk of scrapes.

I've been on the buses at the mo :thumbdown: but my zed is sitting pristine under the snow as i managed a detail on Sat before the snow hit :yahoo:

the way i like to sum it up is like this:

If you skid hit a curb you will crack an alloy, thats potentially like £200 to sort. Will your work pay for it?...probably no...do you get paid more then £200 a day after tax?...if so and you want to take the risk go in...if not would work sack you for a sick day? ....if not call in sick....

Or in the case of me start to "spread the fear" round work, to do that normally find teh department with the most women, normally finance...then start to email out from BB ensuring you copy them in saying how bad the snow is and how you have just seen an accident, female driver hitting a man... man going mental etc.. at the very end ask if you can get a lift from anyone.... you will soon find you have a "snow work at home day"

Unfortunatly this doesnt work for me as i can walk to work! DOH!

Much in Basingstoke Chris, more than 50mm?! We only had about 2", no more than that!

Got about 4" now and its still coming down, but not very hard. The main roads are fine I think, not that I've ventured out of the house yet :cold:

Got stuck twice coming out of my street this morning. Main streets are fine, so will probably park on the main street tonight. The Zed is totally useless in the snow though, funny useless. Wide tyres, no weight over them, just going no where. But ah well, makes up for it come summer :)

The issue is other people. We went, in the Caterham, to the Goodwood breakfast on this day (2008 or 2009 can't remember) as shown below (these cars were parked on the main straight). It was sunny and dry when we left.

On the hill on the way back there were lunatics coming down the hill who had no idea what they were doing - a woman in a Skoda ploughed diagonally across the road simply by driving at 20mph when she should have been doing 3mph. Fortunately we had slid the Caterham sidesways into a gate opening a few minutes earlier otherwise we would have been wiped out.

Neil

My work place is getting so desperate that they are sending 4X4 to pick us up..f**king pathetic :wacko::rant::bang::bang:

I am going to make sure they drop me off tomorrow when i finish work..otherwise i will refuse to go in.

Well of course, they cant get you into work and then tell you to make your own way home :bangin: Nothing wrong with saying they will come and pick you up (just make sure its on their time) but they have to get you back again!