Bit of bad news.

350zStephen

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost my Dad at your age Stephen - similar story with regard to my hospital experience.

You'll need to be brave now and keep your Dad as positive as possible - its might seem odd but I found injecting a little bit of humour into the situation helped my family pull through what was a very difficult time.

Sorry to hear the bad news mate, like many i and the family have been through much the same throughout the year, lost my gran to cancer which was incorrectly diagnosed last year, 5 days after my grandad passed away heartbroken - they had a joint funeral which was nice, seems wierd finding positives from a funeral

My old mans just had a brain tumour removed, thankfully on the road to recover, its strange cos now we spend more time together, watching football, having jokes, chatting about stuff, going out on the lash with the lads doesnt seem important anymore.

hope he gets better, will be in my thoughts

Saty

so sorry that you and your family are having to face this. As Mark said, sometimes the words and thoughts of strangers can help. It's a scary thing for a young man like you to see the person they have looked up to and relied on feeling vulnerable and afraid. Try your best to stay strong and please do come and vent your feelings here whenever you like, we will all be here for you. :console:

Thanks for all of the kind words, and the PM I received from a member on here.

I have drawn strength from the messages on here, and feel better each day.

My dad has been getting more exhausted day by day, which I can only assume is due to the medication. He nodded off at 10pm last night on the sofa, which he never does.. And I had to keep nudging him, as I didn't want him to go to sleep, incase he never woke up.

On Sunday I am doing a 5k run round the local loch (Strathclyde Park) for the cancer charity of my dads choice. I am going to be training harder and harder, and hopefully be back up to half marathon level again, and raise as much money as possible for my dad.

His beloved team Motherwell F.C. are also sending him a get well soon card, which hopefully will be signed by all the team.

I feel so upset that he has been to every game for the past few seasons, home, away, even to eastern Europe, France, Wales to see his club and can no longer make it due to his illness.

As a surprise, the family are going to book a box for the Motherwell V Rangers game this New Year.. which shall be great. 3 Course Meal, Champagne, all the drinks you want, meet the team, get a teamsheet and match program.

And again, thanks guys. :thumbs:

As a surprise, the family are going to book a box for the Motherwell V Rangers game this New Year.. which shall be great. 3 Course Meal, Champagne, all the drinks you want, meet the team, get a teamsheet and match programmme

I'm sure he'll like that ......well done

That's a nice gesture. Il speak to Walter n the lads to tell them to take it easy lol

Let me know when ur raising funds for the run mate il make a wee donation

No need to speak to Walter, just give a few SFA officials a quick phonecall, and I am sure Motherwell could get a few dodgy penalties. :lol:

That is appreciated Irfan.

Stephen.

Terrible news mate but it must be reassuring for your dad to know he's got someone to rely on.

Remember this though.....you personally are going to be a big part in the support structure of his recovery. Therefore you've GOT to look after yourself as well. Things like this can put mental stress on you to the point where you can snap (e.g sitting watching your dad fall asleep and being terrified he won't wake up is only going to take its toll after a while - perfectly natural reaction but probably not a helpful one).

I've never been through anything like this but the absolute best advice I've been given for dealing with anything stressful is to literally concentrate on each day as it comes......if your worrying about tomorrow then your wasting energy and creating yourself stress. It'll help you to stay positive for your dads sake.

You know we're all here for you if you need us :thumbs:

Stephen, I agree with Steady Zeddy, stay positive above all else. A bit of black humour helps. And as others have mentioned don't be afraid to lean a bit on your extended family and friends.

We've been through something even more horrendous within our family (if that's imaginable), then a hit of blood cancer on top of it all a year later, just for good measure & having to keep a constant eye out. All of this lead to many months of very little sleep, getting up multiple times a night to help with breathing etc & a lot of time visiting hospitals for extended periods.

So what I'm not saying very eloquently is keep your chin up, even if the docs expect the worst, the human spirit is an amazing thing, and helps someone to pull through. Find something for him to focus on as that helps to keep the mind occupied.

Most of all, docs aren't always right, we've seen this a number of times over the last 3.5 years.

Let us know how you're getting on. :)

So very sorry to read this, know just what your going through. I was your age when my beloved sister got cancer. Spend as much time as you can with him...I used to leave work early every friday and travel down the M1 to spend the weekend with her and all the family...so glad I did, those times were very special to me. Will be thinking of you and your family Stephen. :console:

Thanks for all your comments people. We all met the doctor at Wishaw General today to get my dads results, and it was a mixture of good and bad news.

They are still not 100% sure where the original primary source is as of yet, but they think it is from the gallbladder area, and it did indeed test positive for cancerous cells.

They are going to be putting my dad through chemotheraphy, and put him on various anti-cancer drugs. Dr Smith today advised it is all about prolonging my dads life, rather than eliminating the cancer.

Don't know what to say at the moment, but my old man is upbeat.

Stephen