Hello - another one from Surrey - Pics added

NeilMH

Having had a Westfield, then 2 Caterham 7s in succession and then an Elise - for the first time ever I took my time looking around and testing different cars.

What I wanted was the same feeling of an "event" that I got with those cars but without some of the compromises. I worked my way through a reasonably long list and ended up with two short list contenders - Alfa 147 GTA or 350Z. In particular I wanted emotional content, a good compromise between ride and handling, an engine that sounded good, performance levels not dissimilar to what I had before but with some creature comforts.

I had a leaning towards the 350z because I had driven one on a Jonathan Palmer day and I loved it (it was torrential rain and I barely spent any time facing the way I was supposed to be going). My concern was how would it drive on the road and in particular would the roadster be wobbly compared to the coupe.

To cut a long story short, I've bought a roadster and I love it. It's completely standard, low mileage, full history. My particular preference is for the standard size wheels and 45 profile tyres which I have (due to the 1950s style East European type rutted roads we have in this area), but I drove another on 20s and was surprised by how good the ride was even on that set-up. I also found that the roadster seems to drive in a very similar way to the coupe - but I understand that the 350 was always designed with a soft top version in mind.

One thing that has surprised me is that you seem to get a good reaction from other drivers - even the tyre people seemed unusually pleasant - in a similar way that I had with the Caterham.... so far anyway. It seems to be a car that people like/don't resent.

The only thing I've done so far is to change the 040s to 050As (ATZ) - the backs were near the legal limit anyway.

Anyway - it's good to be here. :wave:

Neil

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another member from surrey. There are lots of us now. A number of us are getting together for the good wood breakfast club on the 5th dec. You should come along and meet the gang.

Glad you are loving the car, they are great fun. I know what you mean about the roads, you would think given they make so much off council tax in this county that they could at least invest back in the roads.

Got any pics of your new toy?

I don't have any decent pictures yet Will -- but as soon as I do, I'll find out how to post them.

I used to go to the Goodwood breakfasts on a regular basis. If there is any way I can get to the December one I will.

It may be my imagination but I am convinced that the roads in Surrey are significantly worse than those in Sussex or Hampshire - it makes a nice change not to be cringing and gritting my teeth every time I see a rut that I can't avoid. In the Elise (an S1) it always looked as if I was trying to get heat into my tyres!

Hello Martin - not yet - I may even leave it until the spring - it seems like its not a big deal.

Neil

It was fate. On my way down to test drive the car, on the Surrey stretch of the A3, I was passed by three 350Zs in convoy (sort of), which is probably quite a rare event. Or maybe not......

Only thing that I have found that takes a little bit of getting used to is the gear change - it's quite unique - easy but very precise almost as if it has a metal gate. The way its sprung also seems slightly unusual around 4/5/6th - you have to be accurate with it. And - if I was being really picky the throttle response doesn't always seem perfectly linear. I presume these are normal quirks.

Neil

When was this.....? :) There wasn't a 370 involved was there?

It was fate. On my way down to test drive the car, on the Surrey stretch of the A3, I was passed by three 350Zs in convoy (sort of), which is probably quite a rare event. Or maybe not......

Only thing that I have found that takes a little bit of getting used to is the gear change - it's quite unique - easy but very precise almost as if it has a metal gate. The way its sprung also seems slightly unusual around 4/5/6th - you have to be accurate with it. And - if I was being really picky the throttle response doesn't always seem perfectly linear. I presume these are normal quirks.

Neil

Saturday 6th November - about 9.30am. There could well have been a 370 - I wasn't a pucker 350/370 observer at that stage - I will now be paying a lot more attention as to the differences between the two so that I don't embarrass myself!

I test drove on 6th and picked it up on 13th :scare:

Neil

My hood was in good condition but a bit faded. I have just been treating it with Renovo. What a fiddly job the reviver bit is. However careful I was it still involved me leaping about like a frog on a pogo stick with a wet cloth and kitchen towel to remove dripping black goo from the paintwork/windows etc. Even when you can't see a single potential drip they seem to materialise as if through an alien force.

:headhurt: