For Sale approvals

dcash5

Could we review the rules on the forsale section as Im getting a bit of stick from people posting threads and not being approved for several hours whilst i receive several PMs in the mean time and secure a deal?

Not sure why it was implimented in the first instance but surely most of the regular members could provide some unofficial policing and report threads that do no comply.

Cheers

Dan

From what I have seen and read the 'multi' for sale threads are a mess, so I know it's slightly more work but I would put a thread up for each thing for sale (like rtbiscuit did) then you don't miss 'dibs' and get abuse :rant:

Easiest way is to do it by first pm gets it

I maybe wrong but i think the prob is an item is posted (approved)for sale at say 5pm,intrested party posts reply at 5.01pm,joe bloggs pm's(no approval needed for pm) and bid and buys at 5.15pm,intrested partys reply post is approved at 5.16 and gets hump that item is sold.

I don't know if dcash is referring to me when he says he is getting stick - I hope not. I simply questioned the way 'for sale' threads work now.

My understanding was that to make things see through, you had to post on the thread and publicly show you were the first to show interest in an item.

At present, I know this means waiting until the first set of posts are authorised and this is not ideal, but I thought this was the temporary fix until a better system is developed.

I posted on the thread first and didnt PM you first therefore this time I miss out - I am not enraged or bitter about it that I am going to start giving people stick. I just questioned so I know how to act in future.

As we've said before, the system is in place to protect members until we can put the final approval system in place. It was more of a headache formthe team before the current system was put in place trying to control the spamming and dibs craziness. Unfortunately we do have other day jobs to do so it's been on the back burner.

Buyers should always PM the seller and not rely on posts being approved quickly, that depends on who on the team is online at the time. I believe we have covered this before, I'll look to see if we can make mention of it in the rules.

A pm is the best way to secure a purchase - if I want something badly enough that is what I do and if I am lucky enough to have the the sellers phone number/email address even better :)

Showing an interest/first dibs etc on the thread realistically means you might not get in first. Posting on the for sale threads also shows to other wannabes your interest so there's a good chance you will lose out. The seller might also have an ad/ads elsewhere :shrug:

Really, the for sale thread should just be used for clarifying matters and it is agreat help when the seller has sold to tell us that so everyone knows :thumbs:

Until the software is adjusted to remove the need for posts made after the intial ad (including revisions to the first 'for sale' ad) you now know the best way to secure a purchase ;)

Chris, not sure how much its protecting the members.... if its an overhead why not just remove it?

Its in place to protect the members from spammers who were appearing to make a quick buck. As we've said many times before, its going nowhere. If you want to make a quick sale, this isnt the place, get it on eBay. PMs are the way to communicate and seal the deal, they stop all the dibs, second dibs and persuing arguments of chosing one member over another :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

It looks like this old approval system is still in place for FS threads. Maybe I'm following the wrong process but the problem I'm having is numerous PMs from interested parties saying 'why has the FS thread suddenly disappeared?' when I've either made an edit to the first post or submitted a subsequent post. Surely it would be better to allow the thread to remain visible and only show the changes once approved? Or does the forum software the site runs off not allow this?

The thread only disapears when you edit the original post. Something which I know you have done a few times.

the way the code works, is when you edit the original post it defaults to the point that it thinks the thread is asking for approval.

Subsequent posts made by you or a potential buyer do not cause the thread to be hidden.

The new posts do not become visable until they are approved.

What I would recommend both sellers and potential buyers do is to 'subscribe to topic' on the thread so that notifications are received when someone posts something (and is cleared). To subscribe, just click on the tab on the left side of the screen immediately above the thread content.

So often we see posts on a seller's thread where s/he has not responded and knowing we can all be busy at times and not able to check-in frequrently, at least the notification shows something has been written to then check ;)

The thread only disapears when you edit the original post. Something which I know you have done a few times.

the way the code works, is when you edit the original post it defaults to the point that it thinks the thread is asking for approval.

Subsequent posts made by you or a potential buyer do not cause the thread to be hidden.

The new posts do not become visable until they are approved.

Ah okay. So if I want to update the title to include 'SOLD' should I request this from a mod? That will make it disappear as well. I've seen threads that get quite messy where the price keeps dropping and new info is added. Buyers then have to scan down through to figure out the current price and any corrections to the description, rather than just seeing all the latest info in the first post.

You can edit the original post yourself by all means, nothing to stop you doing that.

But the thread will disappear until such time a mod/admin is online to approve the edit.

I know it can be a bit of a pain, but we do it this way to best protect buyers

You can edit the original post yourself by all means, nothing to stop you doing that.

But the thread will disappear until such time a mod/admin is online to approve the edit.

I know it can be a bit of a pain, but we do it this way to best protect buyers

That's fine, I just wanted to check it was working as expected and that I wasn't being stupid :). The confused buyers got me thinking.

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to create an extra thread for this but i have been on numerous car forums and this is the first where you use this system.

To me it seems really silly. I do understand the 15 post rule to stop spammers/people coming on to make quick buck.

But why do you need to approve every post in the thread? Sometimes is takes over 5 hours for the message to be approved, this isn't a dig at the mods as they do this for free/love of the car but it is a dig at the system in place. :)

I didn't want to create an extra thread for this but i have been on numerous car forums and this is the first where you use this system.

To me it seems really silly. I do understand the 15 post rule to stop spammers/people coming on to make quick buck.

But why do you need to approve every post in the thread? Sometimes is takes over 5 hours for the message to be approved, this isn't a dig at the mods as they do this for free/love of the car but it is a dig at the system in place. :)

It's the programme the site uses. It's to stop spammers postin up for sale threads all over the place without complying to the forum rules. The forum is unable to only make the original post go through the approval procedure with making every post on the same thread do the same, I'm led to believe.

Personally I think the system works fine as I usually just pm the seller if want to chat about something

The system has been in place for a long time now, and has served us well. Including saving the team alot of hassle.

You, as the general public, don't see some of the dross we disapprove from for sale threads. Which is why the system is there in the first place.

It's the programme the site uses. It's to stop spammers postin up for sale threads all over the place without complying to the forum rules. The forum is unable to only make the original post go through the approval procedure with making every post on the same thread do the same, I'm led to believe.

Personally I think the system works fine as I usually just pm the seller if want to chat about something

O ok that makes sense, i would of thought there was an option to only approve the initial post.

The system has been in place for a long time now, and has served us well. Including saving the team alot of hassle.

You, as the general public, don't see some of the dross we disapprove from for sale threads. Which is why the system is there in the first place.

Even with the 15 post rule in place? This surprises me :wacko:

Cheers for the replies :)