Meguiars detailing seminar 27th November 2010

Envy Valeting

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thanks to Tim,

I got a lot out of this. Jim & Nathan are top guys. As said before, they weren't there to sell us their stuff. Both of them gave good open honest advice. The comparison & use of other manufactures products was done with respect (this gave the guys more credibility).

I'll defiantly be purchasing a DA once the winter has passed.

Think I went overboard on the free wipes. I'll have to find other uses for them!!

Cheers,

Geo

cheers tim for organising this; and thanks to the lads at meguairs, had a really enjoyable day, and learnt some new things. i too will be putting the DA on my list of things to get.

Didn't realise you were there, I would have said hello :wave: , we need to have name badges made... were you one of the beardies ?

(For soome strange reason my earlier post hasn't appeared)

I echo the thanks to Tim for organising the session today; it was great to finally meet some of the forum guys, the zed seems to create a superb community. Full marks to the Meguiers guys, sensible advice and techniques without overly-pushing the products, a pleasure to do business with them.

cheers tim for organising this; and thanks to the lads at meguairs, had a really enjoyable day, and learnt some new things. i too will be putting the DA on my list of things to get.

Didn't realise you were there, I would have said hello :wave: , we need to have name badges made... were you one of the beardies ?

yes i was one of the beardies that turned up just before 10; i was the one in the s2k ;):lol:

glasses, GAP jumper, asked about glass cleaning and the DA's, looked like i had only had 3 hours sleep etc etc :lol:;)

yes i was one of the beardies that turned up just before 10; i was the one in the s2k ;):lol:

glasses, GAP jumper, asked about glass cleaning and the DA's, looked like i had only had 3 hours sleep etc etc :lol:;)

Oh right.... I thought you just wandered past and they took pity :p:p

Are you coming down for the Goodwood breakfast meet?

Just another +1 post really to add to what everyone has said above. Many thanks to Tim for sorting this out, and the guys at Megs were really decent folks who were happy to put up with my sometimes daft and pedantic questions :blush::lol:

And I finally made it to my second ever 350Z-UK meet! :yahoo: Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat to as many of you as I would've liked, but t'was good to meet the few people I did.

I have finally managed to get the photos on photobucket. There are only a few only because we were concentrating on the state of the swirls on Darrens car ;)

The morning before the drive SNOW

fc27c236.jpg

Who's driving into the warehouse for a light tunnel check?

83bab76b.jpg

Looks like goodies are being lifted whilst the maguiars boys aren't looking

2e4b46c1.jpg

Dirty car

ace7359a.jpg

Manual and mechanical prep! With the naked eye the swirls are painful....

c64f3f55.jpg

Finished product nice and shinny and 95% of the light tunnel swirls are gone. In daylight it's PERFECT!!

32625728.jpg

Did they take any paint depth reading of Darrens car? Just being nosy to see what they are.

Sounds like a fantastic day you guys had. I was pulling my car to pieces to sound deaden the boot in near zero temps :cold:

They actually said that taking paint depths is a complete waste of time.

Unless you have an UBER expensive piece of equipment all it measures is the depth of everything including the clear coat etc so totally useless information... they actually had quite a laugh at people who measure it and look like they know what they are doing :lol:

Just thought, if you are someone who does then apologies... wasn't me who said it, was the experts :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, I dont have a paint depth guage, just wondered what his were, as Nissans have notoriously thin paint.

One thing I would ask them though - if they dont measure the depth of the paint, how did they know that Darren hadnt had a bash at it himself with a rotary and taken off most of the clearcoat off, then swirled it to hell, and now when they correct it, how do they know how aggressive they can be? I've seen enough cases on DW to know how easy it is to burn through clearcoat with a rotary :surrender:

Nope, I dont have a paint depth guage, just wondered what his were, as Nissans have notoriously thin paint.

One thing I would ask them though - if they dont measure the depth of the paint, how did they know that Darren hadnt had a bash at it himself with a rotary and taken off most of the clearcoat off, then swirled it to hell, and now when they correct it, how do they know how aggressive they can be? I've seen enough cases on DW to know how easy it is to burn through clearcoat with a rotary :surrender:

They ONLY use and recommend using DA polishers which oscillate so do not generate enough heat to burn into paint etc...

We told them that Nissan paint is notoriously thin so they started with some very tame swirlX then moved onto more aggressive stuff which I have to say worked fantastically.

I would never go near my car with an angle grinder but after seeing a DA polisher in action I WANT ONE.... and so do many others.... apart from Wasso who bought one on the spot :lol::lol:

I think people just need to know their limits, if all you want to do is remove a few swirls or dark areas then get a DA polisher and have some fun, if you need to do anything more than that leave it to an expert :surrender:

The whole impression I got from Meguiars is that they are a genuine enthusiast supplier, they want to make all their products the best they can for guys who are not detailing gods but just like to show off their cars and make them look as good as possible... they also slightly took the **** out of all these expensive Carnuba Waxes :p Like they said can you REALLY tell the difference between a £20 wax and a £150 wax.... REALLY... 7x better.... HONESTLY... Reminded me of when HD first came out and people were flogging £150 HDMI cables... yes they are better than bog standard ones but the difference between a good £30 cable and a £150 one can't be registered with the human eye :doh:

Thanks to all those who braved the weather and made it up to Meguiars yesterday B)

Nice to meet some new faces, names to usernames, cars to names etc etc!

It was a good turnout, and Megs were impressed with the standard of the cars and the knowledge you all had already and they all said it made a nice refreshing change for them!

As you'll have now seen, thats why I like to do business with them. No pressure and no nonsense advice, and they are happy to show you their skills/products/facilities and enjoy doing so.

Chris, regarding the PTG issue, their polishes like the Ultimate compound and Swirl X are classed as not very abrasive (but as those there saw, very effective) and have small particle size so classed as safe for DA use and TBH you'd have to have the polisher at full speed and sit on it for it do do any damage. They did however recognise work with a rotary is a different animal, but I know you know that ;)

Once again, thanks to you all for your interest :#1:

Tim

Well what a disappointment.....

My hose is frozen, the pressure washer is frozen and so am I. I was hoping to use my DA and new polishing goodies only to be let down by the freezing temperatures. My car is covered in salt and I don't want to hand wash it as I've got the snow foam. Oh well might as well play GT5 and stay warm on the sofa!!!

Well what a disappointment.....

My hose is frozen, the pressure washer is frozen and so am I. I was hoping to use my DA and new polishing goodies only to be let down by the freezing temperatures. My car is covered in salt and I don't want to hand wash it as I've got the snow foam. Oh well might as well play GT5 and stay warm on the sofa!!!

Classic :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is maybe why Eskimo's have Skidoos and not Zeds ;)

Haven't you got something inside you can buff?

:lol: no personal buffing here please!! I could hand wash the car although there's two weeks of grime and about 500 miles of road grime. I'm in the habit now of not touching the car with my mitt until I've snow foamed and jet washed. Hence my car didn't get selected for the swirl test ;)

I might wait till later this afternoon to see if the sun melts the ice!!

:lol: no personal buffing here please!! I could hand wash the car although there's two weeks of grime and about 500 miles of road grime. I'm in the habit now of not touching the car with my mitt until I've snow foamed and jet washed. Hence my car didn't get selected for the swirl test ;)

I might wait till later this afternoon to see if the sun melts the ice!!

Yeah yeah :p Darrens was just worse :p

I am truly surprised they didn't pick mine... it's regularly been through car washes and the only Polish it has seen is at the local hand wash... his name is Piotr :thumbs:

Get away there's no way you'd let the polish clean your car :scare:

I've gota say there aren't many swirl marks on the car I have stone chips instead to compensate, where they are on the wings, doors bonnet and well the front bumper looks like it's got scabs. Although a new front bumper will fix that.

Update: took her out for a warm up and de-ice although my hose is still frozen but then it is -2 outside so I'm not surprised it's still frozen.

Not that I ever use a normal automated car wash but a story from a friend of work proves I will never use one again.

He was half way through the wash when the system shut down. He managed to get out and go and complain. They said some kid must have hit the emergency stop. They told him to go get back in the car and they will start it again. He went to get in and the idiots started the machine too early he tried to rush into is car but the rotating drum was too fast. He got in just in time but didn't manage to shut the door. The drum caught the door and totally bent it out of shape. He was dam lucky. Garage have accepted full responsibility but the car is a mess.

And I was just worried about the paintwork in those things.