looking to retrim the roof lining

P15UL T

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Paul, I've actually recently posted about this as I was thinking about it, but I had suspicions over the curtain airbags and rightly so - I was advised by the guys on here that they'd need to be disabled and thus why not many people do it.

I've seen one or two with velour retrim, but I'm spraying mine black instead; look up 'simply upholstery spray' on google. Cheap and looks like it'll do the job :thumbs:

If you were going to do it yourself then id be wary, did mine in cream leather to match my seats in my old fto,lasted about a week then started to pull away especially in the warmth.Took it out,tried again but ended up ripping it off & spray painting the roof black :lol:

Having your roof lining on your head when your in the car isnt a good look :p

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with modern roof linings unlike ones in days of old is they are a 1 piece pressed velour on card job which means if you try to cover them with another layer of cloth or vinyl, unless done well and held on in key places it will eventually sag if not done correctly.

I think that spraying is probably the best and cost effective

option at least you keep the original roof intact and hence the right shape

still. You can of course cover in headlining cloth or velour or well whatever the hell you like but please please use high temperature glue, in the stress points try to sew into the original material to help it stay in shape and be careful with your edging does tucks away cleanly as it should. Covering the sunvisors in the same material is a nice professional touch, use the sunvisor as a template sew the cover inside out leave a gap to slip the cover over the visor then blind sew the last bit and job done.

Re airbags I can't remember where they are now but as I keep saying as the dash or seats do not cover them in such a way they impede their job.

If it was me don't cover the headlining in a black or dark headlining there is enough black plastic in a zed don't make it feel like inside a coffin use a nice pale light colour plus it could effect resale later on?

If it was me don't cover the headlining in a black or dark headlining there is enough black plastic in a zed don't make it feel like inside a coffin use a nice pale light colour plus it could effect resale later on?

i like the idea of a darker interior, especial if you tint as it will hopefully mean the side windows will look darker even though you cant tint them

I have sprayed my headlining black with the upholstery paint you can get from the internet.

I'll get some photos up.

does the paint not get every where in the cabin, or did you take it out to do it?

makes me think ......... do you get tinted windows a he same time ?

I have sprayed my headlining black with the upholstery paint you can get from the internet.

I'll get some photos up.

Hi mate could you get the pics up I'd love to see how this looks, IMO the grey looks a little "cheap"

+1

Hey guys, been busy last couple days. I'll take some photos and get them up tomorrow :thumbs:

I was going to take out the headlining but after I removed and the sprayed the sun visors and saw the consistency of the paint/dye I tried a little on the plastic trim and when it dries it just rubs of with ease (it only works on anything absorbent). So I masked off the majority of the interior with seat covers and dust sheets and got to work spraying.

I havent got round to painting the plastic sunglasses storage box area (and interior sensors etc) as I'm not quite sure if its removeable without taking out the headlining. I sprayed the vanity mirrors black with a rubberised spray paint from Halfords I think.

the grey looks a little "cheap"

I agree with you on this one and looks odd that the rest of the interior is black. After coming from an Audi TT with black headlining the light grey in the 350z really irritated me (made think it was nicked out of a Micra or something equally as dull)

Also working on Aston Martins, black alcantara headlinings look fantastic.

Photos will be up tomorrow.

I done mine last weekend, Removed the whole rooflining from the car, all the plastics. Keyed up all the plastics, acrylic primed then painted satin black, the roof lining was a pain in the arse, thought it would be a good idea to use a fabric dye as I was worried about the finish being hard or crusty using paint. So bought a paddling pool from `Toys "R" Us` and used plenty of fabric dye (Black) to soak the roof in, after some time soaking it was time to drip dry and then a rinse, The dye wouldnt take to the fabric used in the roof lining so had to resort to painting. Heres the finished product, im very happy with it :teeth:

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

_-18.jpg

_-20.jpg

Darren, top job mate :thumbs:

I want mine in black suede and leave the plastic parts as they are. I sent a headliner to one of the guys off here a couple of weeks ago and his should look B) too when finished :thumbs:

Looks like someone beat me too it.

I used a fabric upholstery paint/dye (when you spray it, it is like coloured water).

Darren is it possible to remove the sunglasses storage box with out removing the headlining? When you tried dying the headlining what dye did you use? I used paint on a previous car and like you said it came out a little hard an crusty, but I guess it depends on the paint and the actual roof material.

Here is my photos,

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af30 ... G_1421.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af30 ... G_1422.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af30 ... G_1420.jpg

Still got to paint the 2nd clip the holds the sunvisor in place.