My trip 3200 mile round Europe in the Merc...

lomoto

Hi Guys thought I drop in and say hello !! :blush: ... missing my 350z still :headhurt:

Just got back from a trip through France and Spain...in my 500SL (not without incident's !! )

mileage at start

IMGP2831.jpg

mileage at end

holiday2009184.jpg

on the ferry to Calais

IMGP2833.jpg

on route ..stopped off at a few War Memorials around Arras, it is not until you see the quantity of these dotted around the North French countryside do you realise the huge loses incurred in the 1st World War !!

after this shot the weather really warmed up and the roof came down on the car..which was running smoothly as ever

IMGP2837.jpg

IMGP2844.jpg

Stopped off at Chalons en Champagne the first night ! (couldn't get the car in for this shot ! )

IMGP2847-1.jpg

Next day set off for the Bordeaux region..

reached a lovely B&B set in fantastic grounds and run by a lovely lady and a fantastic cook !!

IMGP2865-1.jpg

when arriving at this stop to my horror I found oil running out of the L/H side grill on the wing !!.... checking the levels under the bonnet the power steering fluid seemed very low also the ABC tank !! ( I had the car serviced only 1000 miles before setting off at my local Main Mercedes dealer ! ) ABC is the Merc term for the sports suspension which is automatically controlled

a quick ring to my local dealer in England couldn't give any clues to the problem or cure ! and was told to try the Emergency helpline no., even though my car is well out of any Mercedes warranty the very helpful people on the end of the phone told me that as my car was serviced correctly it is still covered by the Mobilife warranty and they would have my car collected and taken to the nearest Merc dealer (in Villafranche in the this case, about 25kms down the road )

Within one and a half hours the car was being loaded on a low loader and I waved it off on it's way !

holiday2009188.jpg

a few phone calls later on in the day revealed that the problem was a sensor on the ABC unit..and it would take 24 hours to get the part and fit, so my wife and I had to endure another night in this lovely French billet ..

the drawing room

IMGP2875.jpg

the pool

IMGP2877.jpg

another night and another great meal at the B&B and at 3pm next day the car was ready to go..out host wouldn't hear of us getting a taxi down to Villafranche, and drove us down the 25kms herself.. The car was waiting for us to collect freshly valeted and looking very polished , the sort of service you expect from a Main Dealer..

Mind you the bill for the repair came to the best part of 1000 euros so a little polish is only to be expected !!

I am a little disappointed that such an expensive part failed on my car given that it had only covered such a small mileage, but I suppose my car is such an age now as to be expected ??

never had any probs like this with the 350z :blush::lol:

the part in question

holiday2009186.jpg

the car from now on never gave any more problems , but the mechanic at the Merc dealer did give me a litre of oil if any of the levels settled over the next few miles !!

with missing a day out for repairs we just made for the Spanish border and got the pedal down, stopping off at Girona for a cheap hotel before blasting down to a villa we had rented for a week near Javea on the Costa Blanca..the car ran well and the roof was never put up for the next week

nice bar at Javea (with gratuitous car shot LOL )

IMGP2913.jpg

made sure the Villa had a proper garage !!

IMGP2928.jpg

had a glorious week down in Spain and a uneventful trip back home stopping off at few French B&B's on the way back (all the B&B's were found in the excellent Alastair Sawday's guide book, none costing more than 70 euros all in, even stopped at a lovely Chateau in the Pyrenees !! )

Car averaged about 24mpg overall, which isnt bad for a 5 litre engine

Looking good Tim!

Love the SL.

Glad you're having a nice time. I love the pyrenees region, you get good weather going over the range?

Hi Stew, yes the weater was brilliant up to coming home , when we got about 100kms from Calais and it p1ssed it down..but cant complain as we had 3 weeks of sun and got burnt to a crisp with the roof down...hope you are well and the Zed is going good ?

weather was a bit overcast though going across the Millau bridge

IMGP2991.jpg

She's looking good Tim, just a shame the car is not standing the test of time as well ;)

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time of sharing your trip and pics with us - looks like you had a great time even if MB reliability dosen't match Nissans :lol:

It is amazing just how many ex-ZED owners keep in touch on this forum - and I'm glad one of them is Tim :thumbs:

Great little write up - would have preferred it was in the old zed.......... :)

did your wife realise you were pretending to take photos of her when really it was the car you were photographing? :lol:

Hi all , nice to see all the familiar names on here...and yes Nixy my wife knows me too well to think anything else :lol::blush:

This looks a fantastic journey - it has just confirmed that we don't need flights for next years' trip down to Spain- gonna drive it! :yahoo:

Tim - would appreciate the details of a couple of the stop-overs you made - what's the book you mentioned?

This looks a fantastic journey - it has just confirmed that we don't need flights for next years' trip down to Spain- gonna drive it! :yahoo:

Tim - would appreciate the details of a couple of the stop-overs you made - what's the book you mentioned?

The book you need is Alastairs Sawday's French Bed And Breakfast's (I got my copy from Amazon )

Places I stopped at with websites -

at Chalons en Champagne... http://www.hotel-pasteur.fr/ang/hotel_ang.htm

at Lancie (Beaujolais region , where the car broke down..Fantastic food make sure you have dinner here..5 courses with as much wine as you want for £25 head !! )

... http://www.lespasquiers.com/index.php?l ... &l_idpa=19

at the Chateau Massal in Bez-Esparon (near Millau Bridge in the Pyrenees )

... http://cevennes-massal.com/

at Briare in the Loire Valley.... http://lathiau.club.fr/index.htm

all these mentioned have very secure parking in their own grounds

if you need villa details I can provide them as well :thumbs:

that must be the longest post you've ever written tim

Looks like you had a great time B)

:lol: Hi Mike, and I had to post it after I got rid of my Zed... I did post this on the Merc owners website , but they are such a boring forum , nobody evens bothers to comment on posts.. The guys on here dont realise what an excellent site this is :thumbs:

:lol: Hi Mike, and I had to post it after I got rid of my Zed... I did post this on the Merc owners website , but they are such a boring forum , nobody evens bothers to comment on posts.. The guys on here dont realise what an excellent site this is :thumbs:

Thats why my post count will never reach the dizzy heights you two have achieved as I always write too much :blush:

We miss your one liners Tim (and the shirts) :D

But hey, why you join us on the HOON in September, sure Stew will let you blast round with in the Merc :thumbs: Unless of course you feel you couldn't keep up...... :thumbdown:

I could go on but..... :lol:

Thats why my post count will never reach the dizzy heights you two have achieved as I always write too much :blush:

We miss your one liners Tim (and the shirts) :D

But hey, why you join us on the HOON in September, sure Stew will let you blast round with in the Merc :thumbs: Unless of course you feel you couldn't keep up...... :thumbdown:

I could go on but..... :lol:

thanks for the invite Colin, I will let you know.. I think I have done enough miles in the SL so will have to bring the CLK out :teeth: