Your opinion on best tyres please?

chrisjones6699

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on the amount you want to spend really. Money no object or only the best for your Zed and health :lol: , then Michelin PS's, Continentals or Pirelli's. Mid range would be Vredsteins, Toyo's, Yokohama's and Falkens. Budget? well if you drive like your grandad and money is tight then a set of federals are the best ones to go for. I think these were £50 each from Neil, a member selling on here which nobody has heard from for a while :ninja:

AVON ZZ3's for the road ZZR for the track)...

Way way more grip than most, have used them on track too (Knockhill, Croft + Nurburgring), the're a nice soft compound and of course the're British tires, made in Britain by British people for you to go that little bit quicker...

Heard good things about the Toyo R888s if you want performance. If you want a better price try the Falken FK452s :)

Falkens 452's for me :thumbs:

+1 :D

+2 : they are a nice balance of perfomance and cost. Michellin PS's are the way to go if you have loads of dosh :teeth:

Just had 4 Falkens fitted this weekend.

Searched all over the net for best prices and Camskill were by far the best. They delivered to my local Nissan dealer, who by the way are the only ones I would trust in removing/fitting to Rays. Heard some real horror stories about trashed wheels, young fitters racing etc etc. They fitted them for £90 which ate into most of the savings I made by going to Camskill.

My fronts on the OEM Potenzas still had plenty of tread and my dealer has offered to store them for me in the workshop in case I should need them refitting, which I thought was excellent service.

:thumbs:

Track day tomorrow, so will report back on handling at speed. :teeth:

Nissan dealer, who by the way are the only ones I would trust in removing/fitting to Rays. Heard some real horror stories about trashed wheels, young fitters racing etc etc. They fitted them for £90 which ate into most of the savings I made by going to Camskill.

£90 :scare::headhurt: I paid £30 to have mine done. I guess if that works out cheaper than getting a local place to do it all then its all good still :)

Well trackday complete on new set of Falkens....and car still in one piece.

Firstly the noise levels are noticably lower over the Potenzas, and overall wear was good.

Fronts definitely worn more than rear but thats probably because I was at Snetterton where you have a blindingly quick circuit. That leads to heavy weight transfer and loading onto fronts as you turn in. Compound seemed to warm very quickly - 4-5 laps in - and as mentioned moreso on front. Even with correct pressures I also noticed it meant that with a 45 profile I was able to mark the rims on both fronts!! Guess thats what happens on trackdays when you kiss the apex!

Now as for handling, not sure wether it was because they needed scrubbing more but alot...alot...of tyre squeal. For those of you who know Sear corner at Snett, I had to really brake hard and allow understeer to avoid the tyres screeching. Wasn't really sure if she was clawing for grip or just the sheer weight of the damn thing.

At the end of the day though, still plenty of tread and that was after a good 40 laps over 3 hours or so.

Just to add.....the best feature of the Zed had to be the Brembos.....just blinding!!!

Heard good things about the Toyo R888s if you want performance. If you want a better price try the Falken FK452s :)

toyos R888s would be much good on the road though especially with our weather. T1-R's are very good, more than Falkens 452s. Looking at around £150 per corner all in. Big shortage at the moment but apparently due in dock from japan on Aug20th. It will take a week or so to clear customs.

What are the problems with re050's--I have had these fitted for 7k miles and have no issues with grip whatsoever in fact on track they perform very well :p

good in the dry, shite in the wet basically

+1 - in fact on the track they are better than many of the tyres recommended here. But not many people drive their car mainly in the dry and on a track, and as wet weather performance is so pants, they can be quite dangerous :scare:

I actually had no problems with RE050s. They are very good tyres. RE040s on the other hand..... Loss of grip when cold and in the wet was scary.

RE050s were a great improvement but I run T1Rs as they do everything I want at a reasonable cost!

RE050s are indeed a very good tyre and shouldn't be compared ever with the RE040s. They're almost the match for my PS2s in the dry and just a tad worse in the wet, and it's only the price of them that means I'd never buy them: They're only a few quid less than the PS2s!

which tyres are good for grip in the wet then?

And if a tyre grips well in the wet does that mean it will have awesome grip in the dry?

#edit#

been looking on the camskill website, there a lot of figures being displyed when listing the tyres, which ones should i be clicking on for a my06 with the rays alloys?

these are the things im not understanding

R19" - 285/35/19, 285/35 R 19 :blush:

which tyres are good for grip in the wet then?

And if a tyre grips well in the wet does that mean it will have awesome grip in the dry?

#edit#

been looking on the camskill website, there a lot of figures being displyed when listing the tyres, which ones should i be clicking on for a my06 with the rays alloys?

For standard Rays you will need (front) 2 x 225/45/18 and (rear) 2 x 245/45/18

In my opinion, and from the experience i've had from driving in the wet, i would buy these when the time arrives. > http://www.camskill.co.uk/order.php?sub ... ing+Basket

Proven to have excellent grip in the wet and dry :thumbs: Seen a set of these on a rather nice looking RS4 today and they looked B) Great price from Camskill at the moment, My :#1: tyre

Nothing there Steve, what tyres were you talking about?

As mentioned, standard for Rays on a GT were 225 front and 245 rear. The smaller number, and 45 in the case of Rays, reflects the tyres profile......smaller = low profile.

Obviously the R is the wheel size, and again 18 for both front and rear and then of course you have the speed ratings...which are letters up to Z... You can run smaller/larger tyres/wheels but may need to fit spacers etc.