Your opinion on best tyres please?

chrisjones6699

I am running ps2s (now second set) on rays and 40m prof. and nitrogen as well! B)

Ps2s are miles better than the 040s in the wet and about the same in the dry. But such a soft sidewall makes it annoying driving hard...plus with my driving style i need a full set at least every 5000 miles!!! :scare:

I am not bothered about the price but i track the Z and i want good grip in the wet (aquaplaning = England)...any suggestions? was thinking of the dunlop sport maxx gt but they are awkward with the sizes.... :dry:

Checking with the tyre calculator i can have f 255/40/18 and r 275/40/18 with 0.15 dif at the front and -0.15 at the rear...will they fit on the rays tho??? :wacko:

i run KW v1s and 20mm spacers...plus the car is almost as low as martinmac's..... :headhurt:

Each to their own and all that, but the PS2s are much better than the 040s in the dry, both in terms of outright grip and feel. They are also simply incredible in the wet, allowing the car to grip where it has no right to but also giving you the feedback to know exactly what's happening. They don't last that long in truth, but that's always a sacrifice you make when buying outright performance tyres. If you find the sidewalls too soft then just pump the pressures up, but you'll lose that incredible feel.

In all honesty, if you found them lacking in the wet then you're either expecting far too much from them, or you're simply not driving the car correctly.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running ps2s (now second set) on rays and 40m prof. and nitrogen as well! B)

Ps2s are miles better than the 040s in the wet and about the same in the dry. But such a soft sidewall makes it annoying driving hard...plus with my driving style i need a full set at least every 5000 miles!!! :scare:

I am not bothered about the price but i track the Z and i want good grip in the wet (aquaplaning = England)...any suggestions? was thinking of the dunlop sport maxx gt but they are awkward with the sizes.... :dry:

Checking with the tyre calculator i can have f 255/40/18 and r 275/40/18 with 0.15 dif at the front and -0.15 at the rear...will they fit on the rays tho??? :wacko:

i run KW v1s and 20mm spacers...plus the car is almost as low as martinmac's..... :headhurt:

Each to their own and all that, but the PS2s are much better than the 040s in the dry, both in terms of outright grip and feel. They are also simply incredible in the wet, allowing the car to grip where it has no right to but also giving you the feedback to know exactly what's happening. They don't last that long in truth, but that's always a sacrifice you make when buying outright performance tyres. If you find the sidewalls too soft then just pump the pressures up, but you'll lose that incredible feel.

In all honesty, if you found them lacking in the wet then you're either expecting far too much from them, or you're simply not driving the car correctly.

The question is quite clear m8! Which tyres and will they fit?

As for the comparison pls read my post carefully.

"Ps2s are miles better than the 040s in the wet".

And as i said they are better in the dry but not that much better!!!

The pressure is 35 psi all round but as i also said i am using nitrogen. Which does make them feel a bit softer.

I am posting a certain question not for for my judgment or my driving to be commented on. :thumbdown:

Funny, 'cos I'm using nitrogen too and that makes no difference at all to the softness: A set pressure is a set pressure regardless of gas used, and the only difference with a nitrogen fill is that it won't balloon up quite so much on track, in which case you simply add more pressure in the first place. If 35 psi is too low for you, try adding +2 psi all round. I was simply passing comment about the best tyres, which seems perfectly acceptable on a best tyres thread. Tbh if you don't want a post being commented on then don't post on the internet. :thumbs:

I actually skipped over the part when you said you need tyres every 5000miles when on the PS2s, as if I had seen that I'd have said you're either doing 5 track days in a year or definitely not driving the car properly. Any better for you? I'm sure it's the former though.

The question is quite clear m8! Which tyres and will they fit?

Fine, you win, I'll answer that one for you. 225/45/18 and 245/45/18 in Michelin PS2 and they'll definitely fit. You don't need to go any wider than stock tyres unless you're putting down silly power. If you're that serious about track work then I'd be getting a set of PS2s for the road and then a spare set of track wheels shod in R888s to swap over.

Happy now?

Vredestein: £110 (Camskill special offer!)

Falkens:£115

Eagle F1's £135

Eagle Asymmetric - £150

RE050 £160

Pilot Sport - £160

Toyo's T1-R's £170

No way is that pricing anywhere near correct: T1Rs more than the PS2s?! No chance, they'd be cheaper than all of them. Maybe R1Rs or 888s, but not T1Rs. Someone from Camskill have made an almighty balls-up there.

Taken off Black circles where poss... depends where you buy em, but the general gist still stands...tyres can be put into categories in terms of how much u willing to spend, how much grip or durability is important to you..

My last post didn't work, as the network dropped out, but the jist of what i was saying was that the falkens and toyos are just mid range tyres. and the rest were UHP (ultra high performance) tyres.

as for the ultracs, was that price for the standard ultracs or the ssantas as there is a big difference in performance on the ssantas. will have to go and check them out.

What's this classification of 'UHP'?? Or is it just a brand thing.....?

Vredestein: £110 (Camskill special offer!)

Falkens:£115

Eagle F1's £135

Eagle Asymmetric - £150

RE050 £160

Pilot Sport - £160

Toyo's T1-R's £170

No way is that pricing anywhere near correct: T1Rs more than the PS2s?! No chance, they'd be cheaper than all of them. Maybe R1Rs or 888s, but not T1Rs. Someone from Camskill have made an almighty balls-up there.

Taken off Black circles where poss... depends where you buy em, but the general gist still stands...tyres can be put into categories in terms of how much u willing to spend, how much grip or durability is important to you..

My last post didn't work, as the network dropped out, but the jist of what i was saying was that the falkens and toyos are just mid range tyres. and the rest were UHP (ultra high performance) tyres.

as for the ultracs, was that price for the standard ultracs or the ssantas as there is a big difference in performance on the ssantas. will have to go and check them out.

What's this classification of 'UHP'?? Or is it just a brand thing.....?

not 100% sure, but seen it on several tyre place websites tyres are designed for or fit into several brackets

Ultra High Performance (UHP)

High performance or performance ( i think)

Mid range

Budget.

i may have even missed out a section or possibly added one in.

but definitely UHP and budget exist

OK, know what you mean then. Just branding crap designed to lure people to buying the more expensive tyre for their 318i when needed - 'well it is a premium car sir...' :lol:

Probably more to do with rating than any real grip, durability, noise or other worthwhile property!!

OK, know what you mean then. Just branding crap designed to lure people to buying the more expensive tyre for their 318i when needed - 'well it is a premium car sir...' :lol:

Probably more to do with rating than any real grip, durability, noise or other worthwhile property!!

not really, its how they are broken down regarding their performance, just had a little read, and the top groups are

UHP ultra high performance

HP high performance

P performance

UHP will have better stopping power, grip levels etc

i think its also to do with compounds as well, UHP will be softer than P but won't last as long

http://www.galttech.com/research/cars/b ... -tires.php

not really, its how they are broken down regarding their performance, just had a little read, and the top groups are

UHP ultra high performance

HP high performance

P performance

UHP will have better stopping power, grip levels etc

i think its also to do with compounds as well, UHP will be softer than P but won't last as long

http://www.galttech.com/research/cars/b ... -tires.php

And if that were true, the T1R as a model of Toyo would be up there with UHP....

And if that were true, the T1R as a model of Toyo would be up there with UHP....

not that i'm aware of, the toyo is just a performance tyre, they are good, but they really show there weakness when you track them, i know several people who track cars and have tried a variety of tyres and the majority of feedback is that the toyos are good for about 5 laps before they start to go taccy and you have to stop and let them cool. similair issue with the falkens.

not that i'm aware of, the toyo is just a performance tyre, they are good, but they really show there weakness when you track them, i know several people who track cars and have tried a variety of tyres and the majority of feedback is that the toyos are good for about 5 laps before they start to go taccy and you have to stop and let them cool. similair issue with the falkens.

Exactly my point - if you're talking track tyres, none of those UHP things would meet 888's or the other real track tyres (in the dry). I agree that they go off on the track (mine did!). At the same time, they are the road tyre of choice for many an Elise driver. So selling something as a 'UHP' for a road car because it performs better on a track doesn't make sense to me. I guess it depends what the criteria are for these categories and whether it means anything in the real world.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

whats the average life of a tyre?

10K miles?

15K miles?

i guess it would depend how you drive but as an average how long should a new tyre be looking to last?

Im thinking of going for those Sessanta's but the review says they wear quite quickly

whats the average life of a tyre?

10K miles?

15K miles?

i guess it would depend how you drive but as an average how long should a new tyre be looking to last?

Im thinking of going for those Sessanta's but the review says they wear quite quickly

my bridgestones are on 22,000 and still have a little left.

but they are a hard tyre. as for the vredesteins, you should easily see 15,000 out of them, unless you drive like your tyres are on fire.

I have just bought 2 245/35/19 Vreidestein Ultrac Sessantas for the front of mine, will be comparing them to the Falken FK452 that came off.

The falkens only did about 7-8k on the fronts for me, strangely the rears still have about half tread left!!!!

I have just bought 2 245/35/19 Vreidestein Ultrac Sessantas for the front of mine, will be comparing them to the Falken FK452 that came off.

The falkens only did about 7-8k on the fronts for me, strangely the rears still have about half tread left!!!!

must be doing some serious track days to wear the fronts out first, :D

must be doing some serious track days to wear the fronts out first, :D

Needs his geometry checking me thinks. Hows the camber these days Adrian?

I wont tell you how long my tyres last doing 60%+ motorway driving. Good for tyres, bad for me having fun :thumbdown:

Oh and this thing about performance and UHP is a load of balls. As Rob says, its marketing trying to justify higher tyre prices. Base performance on what users tell you and what driving you do. Falkens/Toyo are great road tyres, but do go off on track, but if you never track your car, who cares! ;)

• 2 weeks later...