Your opinion on best tyres please?

chrisjones6699

just caught up with the thread.

I recently moved from Potenzas to Falkens and overall I am disappointed to say the least.

the Potenzas were standard 18" while the Falkens are 20".

the only advantage the Falkens have over the Potenzas is the lower noise level.

apart from that the potensaz rates higher in my experience.

the Falkens give the car the tendency to understeer. even with 4 mm thread on them the potenzas will hold the front end much better and the feedback is light years ahead as well.

in the wet, the understear is even more pronounced and dangerous to an extent. with the potensaz and wet weather, the overall grip is marginally less but the zed tends to oversteer rather then understeer.

I know its a matter of personal preference, but I would rather have an oversteering zed all day long.

having said all of that, in a slightly better financial situation, my choice would be Goodyear asymetrics. from a recent expeience in an XKR, switching to asymetrics from Pirelli's mad the fat cat an all new car.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just caught up with the thread.

I recently moved from Potenzas to Falkens and overall I am disappointed to say the least.

the Falkens give the car the tendency to understeer. even with 4 mm thread on them the potenzas will hold the front end much better and the feedback is light years ahead as well.

in the wet, the understear is even more pronounced and dangerous to an extent. with the potensaz and wet weather, the overall grip is marginally less but the zed tends to oversteer rather then understeer.

I know its a matter of personal preference, but I would rather have an oversteering zed all day long.

Exactly my views, my car understeered horibly with the falkens on it, first impressions on the vreidesteins are fantastic.

Much more front end grip = no more understeer, and theres a lot more feel through the tyres.

I wont be buying falkens again. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

hi everyone my newly acquired imported zed has yokohama guardex K2 tyres all round, but i'm not convinced of the roadholding qualities so far. It would appear that they are supposed to be winter tyres. any opinions please and recommendations on a budget?

hi everyone my newly acquired imported zed has yokohama guardex K2 tyres all round, but i'm not convinced of the roadholding qualities so far. It would appear that they are supposed to be winter tyres. any opinions please and recommendations on a budget?

check your first post on tyres, just left some info in there for you.

also if you come to the suffolk meet on the 15th of november in ipswich you cans see a variety there. might also be able to sneek a passenger ride out in some with different tyres to see the difference.

today the traction control hated the car. honestly i was doing nothing stupid. just coming round the work junction WITH the other cars, following a corsa no less :thumbdown: re40's are really really worrying me now tbh. if i cant follow a corsa theres something wrong!

• 3 weeks later...

Its time to replace the OEM Bridgestones - mainly because of the handling in the wet. And cold.

I'd been considering the Falken 452s, but various comments suggest that whilst they are 'better' in the wet than the Bridgestones they're not 'progressive' when they let go - which I'm thinking might mean a sudden meeting with a hedge.

Are the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas that much better in the wet? They're a little more expensive (20-30 quid-ish each) but I'm OK with paying that to feel more confident...

If not the Sessantas, what else around that price?

• 4 months later...
Bought a complete set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas today.....£488..... :( That's a almost half on a Nismo exhaust :(

Steve, I'm trusting your good judgment on these :teeth:

And they're the only 4 patches that keep you on the road........ They will be worth it! ;)

Bought a complete set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas today.....£488..... :( That's a almost half on a Nismo exhaust :(

And they're the only 4 patches that keep you on the road........ They will be worth it! ;)

Indeed, try not to skimp on the black stuff.

£488 I hear you say....wish I could get tyres that cheap for my 19"s........all a matter of perspective...you see?

• 1 month later...

Seems very cheap? Where was this from?