I think I've broken my zed :(

bhavin85

Hi all

finally picked up my facelift zed this weekend and I think I've already got a problem!

When driving hard...i.e hitting 6.5k rpm in first I hear a massive bang from the rear of my car and a momentary loss in power...I think it might be something to do with the prop shaft or it could be something electrical...has anyone ever experienced pike this on their zed?

I have seen a guage that is set to 6600 rpm and I wonder if it has something to do with that...?

I am going to call the dealer on Monday if it's not something you have experienced before...hopefully the warrenty will cover it

Hi all

finally picked up my facelift zed this weekend and I think I've already got a problem!

When driving hard...i.e hitting 6.5k rpm in first I hear a massive bang from the rear of my car and a momentary loss in power...I think it might be something to do with the prop shaft or it could be something electrical...has anyone ever experienced pike this on their zed?

I have seen a guage that is set to 6600 rpm and I wonder if it has something to do with that...?

I am going to call the dealer on Monday if it's not something you have experienced before...hopefully the warrenty will cover it

It's set for max engine speed -and is just a guide that will set off your up-shift indicator light flickering round 6100 but certainly shouldn't be hitting it in 1st mate! :scare: Just listen to the car - you'll know yourself when you should change up or down ;)

I think most people prefer the max torque setting of 4800 for road driving anyway.........

:ninja:

:doh: this is about the 3rd person we've had on here recently with some kind of "i've ragged the crap out of my car it don't work no more, what do you think might be broken?"

if you haven't broken the car i'd invest in some driver tuition ... and before you think I'm taking the p1$$ I'm not talking about daily driver school i mean track day race driver tuition. they'll teach you how to get the most out of your car with out blowing a head gasket at the same time.

I think I've just owned myself :lol:

I'm so used to driving my celica and hitting high revs to get it moving that I instictivly expected to do that with my zed....

I think I'll keep it under 5k

out of curiosity...what do you normally have the limited set at ?

Treat the car well dude and it'll treat you the same back. :thumbs:

To be hitting red line's you must be ragging the nuts off it - and with a V6 under the bonnet, I can only assume your trying to get quick starts or even racing the thing. As mentioned before, its a powerful street sports car - if you want racing action I'd strongly advise on taking it on the track and doing some drifting and tuition.

I don't mean for this to sound like I'm having a go, its just everyone here takes really good care for their pride and joy and to most it's a shock to hear why anyone would want to damage this type of car (to many this is fairly disrespectful to such a machine). You can take any car; zed, Ferrari or even a Veyron - keep red lining it and you'll have BIG bills to repair it (so you'll end up hating it rather than enjoying it). :bangin:

Treat the car well dude and it'll treat you the same back. :thumbs:

To be hitting red line's you must be ragging the nuts off it - and with a V6 under the bonnet, I can only assume your trying to get quick starts or even racing the thing. As mentioned before, its a powerful street sports car - if you want racing action I'd strongly advise on taking it on the track and doing some drifting and tuition.

I don't mean for this to sound like I'm having a go, its just everyone here takes really good care for their pride and joy and to most it's a shock to hear why anyone would want to damage this type of car (to many this is fairly disrespectful to such a machine). You can take any car; zed, Ferrari or even a Veyron - keep red lining it and you'll have BIG bills to repair it (so you'll end up hating it rather than enjoying it). :bangin:

+1..The Zed is more than a car that you should Rag it like that! If you love revving, get a TYPE-R, sort the internals, and you`ll have a beast that`ll rev to 9500RPM :scare:

the rev limiter is adjustable (kind of) you cans et when the red light will flash within your rev band.

and therotically redlining it shouldn't blow the engine there and then thats what the limiter is for; to protect the engine. but you will increase the wear to the engine and if you want to do that then i'd suggest making your oil change every 4500 miles instead of the usual 9000.

Give the guy a break, big deal he hit the limiter in first gear. The car is built for this sort of driving, though 6k is a better shift point in 1st. My zed is a tip auto and when I put my foot to the floor in auto mode it shifts up at 6k in 1st and 6.5k in 2nd and 3rd, the car is set up from the factory that way. If i am sitting at 60 on the motorway and put my foot down, the car will downshift to 3rd and head straight for the limiter.

It won't do it any harm if you occasionally hit it by accident after all that's why it's there, to prevent damage to the engine, just as long as you aren't driving about bouncing of the limiter all the time.

Give the guy a break, big deal he hit the limiter in first gear. The car is built for this sort of driving, though 6k is a better shift point in 1st. My zed is a tip auto and when I put my foot to the floor in auto mode it shifts up at 6k in 1st and 6.5k in 2nd and 3rd, the car is set up from the factory that way. If i am sitting at 60 on the motorway and put my foot down, the car will downshift to 3rd and head straight for the limiter.

It won't do it any harm if you occasionally hit it by accident after all that's why it's there, to prevent damage to the engine, just as long as you aren't driving about bouncing of the limiter all the time.

+1, I would have thought everyone here has 'ragged' it at least once. The OP didnt ask what you thought of his driving, he asked what was wrong with his car and I know for a fact there would be no bangs coming from my car if I were to do that.

I would have thought it was just the limiter kicking in though, its quite harsh in the Zed compared to a lot of cars, maybe you hit the limiter and something from inside one of the glove boxes shot forward?

Must admit I'm not entirely sure why everyone has jumped on him for shifting at the redline in first either: As long as the car is warm first, then there's no issue at all. I wouldn't do it every single time, but every now and then won't hurt the car. It's a sports car after all, not a people carrier.

Yeah I'd say he just hit the limiter if there's nothing else you have noticed since then... it is a violent limiter which i have hit a few times as i was used to lower torque higher-revving.

As for ragging it there is a time and a place :drive1 ..... just don't do it all the time or from cold (which i find quite a challenge when im on a short boring drive to the shop).

Yeah I'd say he just hit the limiter if there's nothing else you have noticed since then... it is a violent limiter which i have hit a few times as i was used to lower torque higher-revving.

As for ragging it there is a time and a place :drive1 ..... just don't do it all the time or from cold (which i find quite a challenge when im on a short boring drive to the shop).

i have to pull out my drive onto a bust 40 right next to a 60, so everybody is still going 60. its horrible listening to it as its cold, i just figure they cvan rear end me stuff them.. anyway top gear time!!! :D

As Trev asked, how is it now? Feel normal?

To be honest with all the torque on offer with the Zed you can short change first to second and still make swift progress. Save the high rev stuff for further up the gears!

No need to rag it to make it move bud.

Getting into a torquey V6 is a change for a lot of people and it can take a while to adapt to a suitable driving style. Take it easy for a few days and you'll see how the car reacts and can sort out the best way to drive it from there

Ragging it in first can be expensive...... you seen the price of tyres? :lol::lol:

Give the guy a break, big deal he hit the limiter in first gear. The car is built for this sort of driving, though 6k is a better shift point in 1st.

I agree, there's a reason there's a rev limiter. Hitting the limiter in 1st shouldn't break the car, only increase wear.

It's a sports car, drive it like one.