Leather trimmed interior - bit of a blog

tmJak

Chris that looks fab. I saw the side trims in Wales and was very impressed - even the right colour orange thread! :lol:

Trouble with leather is the cost - its still £100 for a full hide even today at trade prices.

It was £100 years ago when I worked as a trimmer so your really paying that up front before the labour cost - these jobs are very labour intensive and your very dependant on the persons skill to do this well.

Jap interiors you know the fit is down to the latest mm (unlike Fiat or Renault!) so tolerences are very fine. He has done a spot on job :)

I think pig leather may be the best to use but not sure of availablity its used mainly for fashion wear not car interiors as its very thin hence not as durable as the cow hide you have there Chris?

Keep us posted. :thumbs: I am tempted to retrim mine but I do like it as it at the mo until it gets scratched to the point of annoyance! :wacko:

Cheaper alternatives (that are thin) look for Leather for book binding and Rexine (which is very thin)

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online ... -cloth.htm

http://www.fjratchford.co.uk/SHADES.ASP?PRODUCT_ID=34

When are you going to come and do mine Stan? :teeth: Costs far too much for me, I'm going back to having it flocked :blush:

Chris I can book you in probably 2014? :lol: Between work , restoring Lucy's 1950's Wolseley , my old Beetle, mums back garden , helping mate sell his Beetle, running a leaded windows sideline and extending the drive at the front of the house ...... :surrender::blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I've still not got it finished. It's just finding time to leave my car at the trimmers for a few days for it to be finished, but I need the car every day. Probably wait til next payday now before it gets finished.

The cost isn't so bad, don;t know how it would vary from trimmer to trimmer. So far it's cost £250 for the side bits of the dash and the centre console, although it's not quite finished yet. Had fitment issues. Just got the door cards to do, and whilst they'll be less labour intensive they'll cost more in leather. Will post up when I get some further updates :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Very sorry for such a long delay! I've not been around, and to be fair this project hasn't been long finished. It took so long, that the colour of the stitching had faded on the bits already completed and the leather worn slightly that they don't quite match now :blush: I'm mostly pleased with the result, but it's amazing how difficult it is to add a few millimetres of thickness to the centre console - never imagined it would be that hard. The poor fella who did the work had to scrap it and retry countless times before he got it right! I've seen leather trims before, but never the centre console with the cubby all done. It still opens as well, which is a bonus.

Anyways, heres the pics - please don't comment on the filthy carpet, I know I need to clean my car :)

Centreconsole.jpg

Door.jpg

Doorfrominside.jpg

Doorfromside.jpg

Doorcard.jpg

The company that did the work are called KRJ Trimmers in Middlewich, Cheshire. They mainly work on TVR's and old classic cars, but Ken is very skilled at the work he does.

That looks great :thumbs: , what was the total cost?

About £500 total. The amount of time it took him to do it though, means it's a bit of a bargain. He had to cat away at the console with a stanley knife, shaving about bits of the plastic to allow enough room. Then he'd try to fit it, and they're be another part that wouldn't fit right, so he'd have to pull the leather off again and start shaving more plastic away. Door cards were easier, they were probably £200 on their own, but love how they look. Hated the plastic before.

That looks great :thumbs: , what was the total cost?

About £500 total. The amount of time it took him to do it though, means it's a bit of a bargain. He had to cat away at the console with a stanley knife, shaving about bits of the plastic to allow enough room. Then he'd try to fit it, and they're be another part that wouldn't fit right, so he'd have to pull the leather off again and start shaving more plastic away. Door cards were easier, they were probably £200 on their own, but love how they look. Hated the plastic before.

That was deffo a bargain, 500 quid for that. Hmmm remap or interior :cloud9:

Where have you been Chris...? Long time no post...!! Dont think i've spoken to you since Wales '09?

Leather looks great mate. B)

Yeah been away for a while, had a few problems, but all sorted now :) Got a baby due in the next week as well. Not getting rid of the Zed tho, and hoping to be able to make some meets later in the year. Your Zed's looking good by the way B)

• 1 year later...