Leather trimmed interior - bit of a blog

tmJak

As some of you may remember, I decided to get some of my interior trimmed, like the centre console, door cards and the bits on the dash that carry on from the door cards. I got myself a spare centre console and eventually found a trimmer who was willing to give it a go.

Knowing nothing of leather trimming, I thought this would be quite easy for a trimmer to do, and expected it would take a couple of days. But, I quickly found out the difficulties that were involved. If the centre console was just trimmed in leather, it wouldn't fit back on the dash, none of the dials would fit and the cubby would not open or close. Where the leather is stitched, it makes it about double as thick as normal, so the seam would stick out like a ridge. The hardest bit by far is getting the cubby hole to still operate.

I gave the trimmer my spare centre console months ago and he got to work. He had to shave the back of the leather to make it thinner, and has also had to massively trim down the plastic. He has been doing this with a razor blade, as dremmels are not accurate enough and can leave a poor finish. You can be precise with a razor, and take strips away milimetres at a time. I went for a fitting last week to check out the centre console. It looks like this:

09052009363.jpg

Unfortunately, it needed a further 1/16th of an inch shaving around the air con controls, around the gear stick where the shiny surround insert goes, and around the stereo hole. He also has to further shave down most of where the console meets the dash.

Just so you know how much shaving of the plastic he's had to do, I've done a pretty diagram :) :

Whereshaved.jpg

Around 2 weeks ago, I had a few days off so removed my dash so he could start trimming the end bits. Just for those who have never seen the guts of a Zed, here's my car:

25042009285.jpg

I have got the dash all fitted back together now, and the bits he had done are superb and much better looking that the tacky plastic. I'm booked in to get it all completed at the end of the month, including the door cards. Wanted to get it finished for Wales, but was not to be :dummy:

Thought I'd do my thread this way so I can just add bits when they're done, and post up any of the more interesting pics :thumbs:

One of the drawbacks of leather is the thickness of it, one of the advantages of looking at Alcantara.

Had considered it, but wanted the subtle look rather than the racecar look. Alacantara reminds me of the inside of stripped out supercars like Lambo's. It'd also really annoy me if it didn't all go in the same direction. I'd probably end up brushing it :lol: Was thinking of using some alacantara, like on the door cards, but conscious that if I have too many different textures of material in the car it will look a bit scary and not well thought out. Gonna stick to leather and carbon fibre.

Marzman - Know it's been a long time, but I had been working on it. My centre console had been with the trimmer for so long I didn't want to post up till I had some results. He's very good at what he does, but he takes his time with it and has been quite ill so that delayed everything.

I had my last car done in Alcantara - massively expensive (the proper stuff from Italy B) ) and I did spend a lot of time brushing it the right way!! :lol::blush:

+1 Had it in the Lambo and i used to find myself brushing it the same way whilst at traffic lights. To outsiders it must of looked like I was stroking my car :wacko::lol::lol:

I had my last car done in Alcantara - massively expensive (the proper stuff from Italy B) ) and I did spend a lot of time brushing it the right way!! :lol::blush:

+1 Had it in the Lambo and i used to find myself brushing it the same way whilst at traffic lights. To outsiders it must of looked like I was stroking my car :wacko::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for anyone following, I was meant to take the car in today to get everything finished over the weekend but my trimmer is ill - he's not been well recently. Hoping for next weekend if he's recovered.

The work is pretty good value to be fair, have paid £250 so far and only got the door cards to trim which should be easy to do, just the cost of leather really with his labour on top. He gave me a quote at the start for just the centre console for £200, and it took much more work than he expected. He still charged the same price tho, so he's being pretty good on his word. The side bits of the dash have cost £50. All in it should be less then £600. You can pay that for an induction kit so it could be worse ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates? Think this is one of the best mods i've seen :thumbs:

+1 B)B):thumbs:

i have been toting with this idea but was put off by the possible exhorbitant cost :scare: but it seems affordable compared to other mods ;)

can't wait for completed pics