Tommy K Likwid art Zed Badges **Pics page 10**

rtbiscuit

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF? OK the banter should have been removed but not the stuff about liking or not and if its right to buy fakes........

Open forum, open opinion.......

Am sure the true traders that pay in will be happy that fakes are being sold against the decent GENUINE articles!

WTF? OK the banter should have been removed but not the stuff about liking or not and if its right to buy fakes........

Am sure the true traders that pay in will be happy that fakes are being sold against the decent GENUINE articles!

At the moment you're the only one moaning, Mark. If you want to start another thread, feel free.

i never meant to cause such controversy with a badge, the aim was to offer something that people wanted. Mark i'm sorry if this thread has offended you, i was not trying to upset those who already own the original. i was trying to give people more options, especially now as there are more colours available.

you are right i'm not a trader on here, but i already offer vinyls which are to all intense and purpose copies of logos or originals, but no one has had a problem with that before.

At the end of the day copies and replicating are all part and parcel of the manufacturing industry. how many varieties of coke do you know of.

i'm also very aware that these are not cheap knock offs the technique used to make these are also the way that the automotive manufacturers are heading. citreon already use a version of the manufacturing technique. and others are following. it allows for a far sturdier and stronger construction than the current glass filled PE that everyone currently uses. its a flusher fit and is harder to steal.

i appreciate money and try and spend it wisely and for me the TK badge is lovely, but i also know that it costs all of about £1 to make it. and i can't pull myself to pay a 700% markup for a piece of plastic, how ever nice it is. so i looked at alternatives.

you'll still have your exclusive club, and those people that are loyal to brand names will still buy the original, but not everyone can afford them, and that is why you'll always find alternatives.

if you want to discuss it further i'm happy to do it via PM or in a seperate thread, but i'd like to keep this one for people purchasing.

i never meant to cause such controversy with a badge, the aim was to offer something that people wanted. Mark i'm sorry if this thread has offended you, i was not trying to upset those who already own the original. i was trying to give people more options, especially now as there are more colours available.

you are right i'm not a trader on here, but i already offer vinyls which are to all intense and purpose copies of logos or originals, but no one has had a problem with that before.

At the end of the day copies and replicating are all part and parcel of the manufacturing industry. how many varieties of coke do you know of.

i'm also very aware that these are not cheap knock offs the technique used to make these are also the way that the automotive manufacturers are heading. citreon already use a version of the manufacturing technique. and others are following. it allows for a far sturdier and stronger construction than the current glass filled PE that everyone currently uses. its a flusher fit and is harder to steal.

i appreciate money and try and spend it wisely and for me the TK badge is lovely, but i also know that it costs all of about £1 to make it. and i can't pull myself to pay a 700% markup for a piece of plastic, how ever nice it is. so i looked at alternatives.

you'll still have your exclusive club, and those people that are loyal to brand names will still buy the original, but not everyone can afford them, and that is why you'll always find alternatives.

if you want to discuss it further i'm happy to do it via PM or in a seperate thread, but i'd like to keep this one for people purchasing.

As per our PM convo, not offended in any way rich, just have my opinions ;)

Oh and just to clarify (for those interested and not wishing to at least mislead!) the TK badge is metal and enamel so far from £1 at cost and made in such small quantities that there would be no major volume discount for production! Not bickering, just dont want anyone misled!

I have a genuine TK badge and had it for a quite a while.

I think the likwid art items look great and offer alternative finishes to which the original doesn't. Some may see this as copying or producing a 'fake' but I see it as offering a fresh take on the original which is very sought after.

I think a lot of credit is due to Rich for getting off his backside and going through with this.

Oh and as a little note to the individuals that are quick to attack, did your Mum never teach you that if you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all.

if its costs a £1 what do we have to pay £30 for a copy?

different techniques, i was refering to the process that TK would use. plus Likwid art is a one man operation run from his house. different overheads.

As per our PM convo, not offended in any way rich, just have my opinions ;)

Oh and just to clarify (for those interested and not wishing to at least mislead!) the TK badge is metal and enamel so far from £1 at cost and made in such small quantities that there would be no major volume discount for production! Not bickering, just dont want anyone misled!

sorry Mark, i hadn't realised, i've not seen them in person, was going on similar products i've seen. TRD did there own badge which looked like it used similar techniques which was a chrome finished plastic with plastic glass infill. had assumed wrongly that the same technique had been used.

even so i still think that the price is far higher than the manufacturing costs. but thats a whole different conversation for a whole new thread. ;):lol:

I have a genuine TK badge and had it for a quite a while.

I think the likwid art items look great and offer alternative finishes to which the original doesn't. Some may see this as copying or producing a 'fake' but I see it as offering a fresh take on the original which is very sought after.

I think a lot of credit is due to Rich for getting off his backside and going through with this.

Oh and as a little note to the individuals that are quick to attack, did your Mum never teach you that if you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all.

thanks stew :thumbs:

At the moment you're the only one moaning, Mark. If you want to start another thread, feel free.

+1.

I for one, think that this is a very interesting bit of work... i like the TK z style - but there is know way i'd *EVER* even think about paying 70quid for one :surrender: I dont have a clue, or even care who TK are/is, and if i dont know, im damn sure 99.9% of the public dont know either :lol: I like the badge - so i'd rather buy a cheap one.

As for these, i'd need to see some 'fitted' shots before i consider buying, as i cant picture the scale/depth/quality from RT's pics... so looking forward to seeing them. :thumbs:

Nice job Rich.

Right, here goes...

For me, the Tommy K badge is something special. People who own them are probably cringing knowing that these will be out there.

My reasoning is this.

How many times do you see for example Tommy Hilfiger jumpers sold at market stores?

And when you see them worn by someone, you can deffo tell that they are not the genuine article.

It's like, why didn't you buy a gearknob off kta, but decided to get a genuine Nismo Titanium one instead? (I admit it was part of a prize, but the decision was still made to go genuine)

Now I'm only speaking for myself, but if I were to wear a knockoff Tommy Hilfiger jumper, I'd feel cheap.

Call me a brand whore if you like.

As I said before, everybody has different tastes.

You can't be a brand whore, you drive a Nissan :p

This is an interesting thread. Obviously there is an element of copyright abuse but it seems that the new badges go beyond the original with styles, colours and finishes. That makes them more desirable on quite a few of our car colours than the red badge. If the price point was set higher too then the TK badges would be the poor mans alternative. If the new badges were of similar quality and I had a blue Z I'd want the new badge. Especially with the 3 square detail.

If this was my project, I'd have changed the font to avoid copyright, The best 'Z' logo would be the original Nissan one anyway. It's on the steering wheel etc and looks great. If that was available as a big 3d letter but in a body colour matching combo it would be a massive hit and I'm sure Nissan would turn a blind eye. I see a market for a unique set of Z badge options that are copyright free and can be sold globally in exact paint colour matched versions and as a complete set for wheel hubs, wings, bonnet and boot at £100 a set.

But without the ideal alternative this project has opened the door for us 350Z owners who want to have a bit of unique bling. I personally don't like the horizontal bit in the middle of the TK badge, it's pointless. The 350 Z has clean crisp lines and the TK badge design is totally out of character. I put my name down for one of these new replica badges but I'm now going to wait for a better alternative. It will come, I'm sure.

I wish the Likwid art badge project well and I can't wait to see them on members cars soon.

Places orders here. i'll get a list together i think it may be a case of rob posting a bundle to me and i'll send them out so might be a couple of £ ontop to cover paypal and postage costs on my end, but it literally would be no more than £2. i'll sit down and work it out later.

1. Rtbiscuit - red - plain

This is an interesting thread. Obviously there is an element of copyright abuse but it seems that the new badges go beyond the original with styles, colours and finishes. That makes them more desirable on quite a few of our car colours than the red badge. If the price point was set higher too then the TK badges would be the poor mans alternative. If the new badges were of similar quality and I had a blue Z I'd want the new badge. Especially with the 3 square detail.

If this was my project, I'd have changed the font to avoid copyright, The best 'Z' logo would be the original Nissan one anyway. It's on the steering wheel etc and looks great. If that was available as a big 3d letter but in a body colour matching combo it would be a massive hit and I'm sure Nissan would turn a blind eye. I see a market for a unique set of Z badge options that are copyright free and can be sold globally in exact paint colour matched versions and as a complete set for wheel hubs, wings, bonnet and boot at £100 a set.

But without the ideal alternative this project has opened the door for us 350Z owners who want to have a bit of unique bling. I personally don't like the horizontal bit in the middle of the TK badge, it's pointless. The 350 Z has clean crisp lines and the TK badge design is totally out of character. I put my name down for one of these new replica badges but I'm now going to wait for a better alternative. It will come, I'm sure.

I wish the Likwid art badge project well and I can't wait to see them on members cars soon.

rob talked about doing something with the original Zed badge, so may well see something towards the end of the year.

You can't be a brand whore, you drive a Nissan :p

Touche :lol:

Depends on your definition of "brand whore"...

Nissan isn't too bad, they made a whole line of Z cars and Skylines, not to mention the popular Silvia and the slightly interesting Pulsar GTi-R.

They have a good record in domestic race series too.

So all in all, the Nissan brand is ok I think.

Places orders here. i'll get a list together i think it may be a case of rob posting a bundle to me and i'll send them out so might be a couple of £ ontop to cover paypal and postage costs on my end, but it literally would be no more than £2. i'll sit down and work it out later.

2. Grantmitchell - 2 x red with silver dots

3. loafer77 - Black - plain

All aside tho, I hope you have great success with these Rich. For the effort alone that went into this.

Who knows, I might like the look of them when they are on a car, but I'll just call them "Special Edition Likwid Z Badges"

i think thats a more than suitable name for them :thumbs: