How to - Change the aux drive belts

steve3000

:drive1hi this is my first time on here.

just brought 02 nissan 350z import, was going to go to nissan for the 2 belt to be changed was quoted approx £130, (really worn can't see part number on them) :drive1

but when i gave reg and chassie number, they said belts they stock might not be the same as uk model

can anyone tell me if they are the same and part numbers.

thanks liz

• 4 months later...
just received my pulleys from Alex - thanks Alex :thumbs:

may have an attempt at it and been on this guide but cannot see the pictures - any ideas as to why please?

cheers

pm sent - if the pics do not come out on that something wrong with your computer/virus settings I would guess :shrug:

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did this today it took about 20 minutes after I got the under tray off... However I found that the 6PK1173 belt was constantly slipping no matter how tight I got it.. I went to a local motor factors and got a slightly smaller belt. If anyone finds that the belt constantly slips I'd recommend;

Continental Contitech 6 PK 1165 (8MM shorter than the proper gates belt)

Hi everyone i am going to change my belts but the torque wrench i got has a torgue of 20-200 inch lbs or 20 - 230 cm kgs? Can anyone convert 98 N and 35nm to cm kgs or inch lbs? Thanks

You can probably do it here ;)

Clicky

:thumbs:

Thanks for the reply, i just converted the 10 kgs to lb/inch (55.9) i guess 56 lb/inch should be fine.. Can you do me a favour check it this is correct because i dont wanna mess anything up. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just read through the info posted, I'M going to change my belts tomorrow, got the Gates belts from A & B auto spares in Whitehaven for £27:47p I'M sure with the perfect description from Stev I can do this job & save a few ££££££ :drunk:

Thanks again to steve, job was made easy by using your description’s Jacked the car up & removed the under tray it’s a easy job once this is removed, I also removed the plastic top cover just to make it easier getting your arms down to feed the belt’s around, I had to loosen the top anti roll bar to lift the plastic cover out, you need the extra lift because the bolt is under the bar,

I checked all the pulley wheels & made sure they were all well lubricated car sounds a lot quieter now, having said that I was shocked to find that the A C Belt which should be a 4 groove was only 2 grooves! The rest of the belt had shredded it’s self I found some slithers in behind 2 pulley wheels,

The full job complete & all tools away took me 70 minutes & that was including rubbing 2 small areas of flaking rust off where the under tray screws to the car, I used some under sealant to protect the sub frame.

The belts were from A & B auto spares in Whitehaven at a cost of £27:47p labour was free & very rewarding when you listen to it ticking over now. :#1:

• 1 month later...
Good guide Steve - nice work! grin.gif

Jim - something makes me think 5 years is the recommendation to check/change these belts, i'm sure someone will be able to give you a definitive though.

Thanks. That would make mine overdue. Anybody confirm this?

Have you changed them yet? :lol:

• 3 months later...

Worth noting that if you have an HR model then its a much easier process - theres only 1 aux drive belt and it has an automatic tensioner. You just use a 1/2 drive breaker bar to pull the tensioner off the belt, stick an allen key through the tensioner hole to lock it. Then pull old belt off. Stick new belt on, and release tensioner. All in all a 5 minute job, with no need to even jack the car up. And just as well, as whilst Nissan told me they would expect the aux drive belt on my HR model to last 80k miles, I found it SHREDDED the OEM belt every 20k miles on the dot. Nissan couldnt come up with an answer - they even checked all my pulleys were in line and the belt wasnt catching anything.

In the end I opted for a Gates heavy duty belt on mine to see if that resolved the shredding problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice How2.

Did mine yesterday and what a huge difference. Once I changed the belts and regreased the tensioner bearings, the engine went so quiet!

I didn't realise how much noise the tensioners make when they're dry. I just got used to it from when I bought it last year...and even then I thought it was quiet.