Jump to content
Neoncypher

370z nismo mk1 rust spots

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 
 
I'm after some advice where I stand with some small rust spots I have found on my mk1 370 nismo. They are low on the rear quarter panel, the seam where the plastic on the side skirt meets the metal. I have to push the skirt in slightly to see, so they aren't off stone chips, this is corrosion.
 
I don't know if this is relevant at all, but my car was one of the Nissan press cars at the time, featured in videos by Autocar and Auto Express - wondering if Nissan would have any sympathy there haha 
 
I'm the 3rd registered keeper, and it has FSH but only partially Nissan history. I read somewhere that the 370z has a 12 year anti corrosion warranty but I don't know if I have a leg to stand on not being the original owner and not having a full Nissan service history. The previous owner was a car detailer and kept it meticulously clean and sealed etc. In my ownership it has been garaged at night and cleaned/detailed regularly, so she's been looked after well. 
 
Any advice would be great
 
Cheers 
Edited by Neoncypher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What have Nissan said when you’ve taken it to them?

 

Without a FNSH, I think you’re on your own tbh. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't taken it to them yet, I wanted to get some advice from the forum first.

I was worried (but prepared) for me being on my own with this, but thought someone else may have had a similar experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys cheers for the replies

Here are some pics - It's on the bottom of the rear quarter where it meets the skirt. On the 2nd image I'm pushing the skirt inward to reveal the rust, which is why I haven't noticed it before. 

USxnVSr.jpg

vvLFHYz.jpg




 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2020 at 16:28, Neoncypher said:

Hi guys cheers for the replies

Here are some pics - It's on the bottom of the rear quarter where it meets the skirt. On the 2nd image I'm pushing the skirt inward to reveal the rust, which is why I haven't noticed it before. 

USxnVSr.jpg

vvLFHYz.jpg




 

This is not nice to see, i hope nissan sort this for you, i am interested in the out come of this issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this has got me paranoid :sweat:

 

another spot to look out for is at the front of the rear wheel arches, there is some sort of plastic cover, that rather tha keeping the dirt out just acts as a muck trap and get filled with all sorts of muck. Its easy to pull it out they way and clear all the crap out when you have the wheels off. I'll try and dig out the pics of when i tackled mine during the first lockdown

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dave_7 said:

this has got me paranoid :sweat:

 

another spot to look out for is at the front of the rear wheel arches, there is some sort of plastic cover, that rather tha keeping the dirt out just acts as a muck trap and get filled with all sorts of muck. Its easy to pull it out they way and clear all the crap out when you have the wheels off. I'll try and dig out the pics of when i tackled mine during the first lockdown

When I first got my 370, I cleaned that area out and I remember thinking that i was glad I’m in OZ as that amount of debris on a uk car would lead to rust. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20200426_134305.jpg.8dc5082ebd70c14be6c34415d609144b.jpg

 

this is mine after i treated the rust... followed by a couple of coats of rubberised paint and some underseal.

 

Would recommend having a look as its far easier to deal with at the early stages. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dave_7 said:

20200426_134305.jpg.8dc5082ebd70c14be6c34415d609144b.jpg

 

this is mine after i treated the rust... followed by a couple of coats of rubberised paint and some underseal.

 

Would recommend having a look as its far easier to deal with at the early stages. 

Thanks for that mate I will have a look at the weekend. 

I haven't gotten in touch with Nissan yet, but I am waiting for a quote from a local bodyshop. I'll keep you all posted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a quote back from the bodyshop - £1300 for the rust treatment/prevention, both rear quarters painting, blending etc.

Anyone recommend any reputable bodyshops in the North East area (or a bit further, willing to travel a bit) so I can get a 2nd quote? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion this goes under Nissan paint warranty, 10 years. I would go to Nissan to have it sorted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 14:14, Adrian@TORQEN said:

In my humble opinion this goes under Nissan paint warranty, 10 years. I would go to Nissan to have it sorted. 

Do you think they would entertain it, without a full Nissan service history?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neoncypher said:

Do you think they would entertain it, without a full Nissan service history?

Definitely worth trying, it wouldn't surprise me if they try worming there way out of the situation, like most main stealers 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk to the Nissan garage that initially sold the car, then try again and speak to the management. Send the same email again but include any top brass (Google search em or ask about on this forum). 

 

If none of this works, then post photos of the car, the rust and screenshots of your emails to their Google reviews. 

 

Simples. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2020 at 10:59, Umster said:

Talk to the Nissan garage that initially sold the car, then try again and speak to the management. Send the same email again but include any top brass (Google search em or ask about on this forum). 

 

If none of this works, then post photos of the car, the rust and screenshots of your emails to their Google reviews. 

 

Simples. 

Cheers for that mate - if you or anyone else has any names/email addresses for Nissan higher-ups please PM me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you even spoken to Nissan yet? Granted not easy to do atm, but even so your nearest dealer is your first call not NHQ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2020 at 16:14, Neoncypher said:

Do you think they would entertain it, without a full Nissan service history?

They did on my 370z and GT-R, both had similar problems, you just have to keep beating the drums, so to speak, persevere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Have you even spoken to Nissan yet? Granted not easy to do atm, but even so your nearest dealer is your first call not NHQ. 

Hey yeah I agree, I was just after the info right now so I had it if I needed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

They did on my 370z and GT-R, both had similar problems, you just have to keep beating the drums, so to speak, persevere. 

That's good to know, thanks Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll struggle with Nissan to pay for this under their corrosion warranty without a full Nissan service history. I battled with them for 2 years before they offered to pay for mine AND that was only because I took them too the motoring ombudsman AND mine had a full Nissan service history too.

 

Definately worth a try with your local Nissan dealer first though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys - thought I'd give an update on this.

Went to my local dealer who had a look at it. They said they couldn't see any rust and that it was just dirt. That's when I had to show them they were looking in the wrong place. Anyway they eventually saw it, and sent their report to Nissan, who denied it almost immediately saying it isn't a corrosion issue. 

 

Having spoken more to my local body shop they seem to think that rust is the result of the two surfaces rubbing and vibrating against each other over the years, wearing down the paint and eventually causing rust. 

I raised this again with Nissan customer service, arguing that this happening on a very well maintained and cared for car after 7 years is ridiculous. Long story short, I was offered a small amount of money as a voucher to use at the dealership, so I'm going to get a proper quote from their body shop and see if their quote minus the voucher is cheaper than my local shop.

Judging by your struggle @Justthejedi, I think this may be the best I'll get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They always try to worm there way out of these issues, i hope the voucher covers the repair :rant:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was inspecting my arches and giving them a good clean I noticed they had kept quite a few things that were the same design as the 350z. One being what @dave_7 mentioned. That Black rubber bit that seals the front of the back arches. It is literally a dirt trap and as usual was FULL of mud. Secondly I noticed the amount of water that gets trapped between exactly where you said, between the rear panel and side skirts. I used the blow dryer couldn't believe how much trapped water came from that area. Another poor design from Nissan unfortunately. Shame these cars weren't under sealed from factory. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


350z-uk.com

370z-uk.com

350z-uk.com

370z-uk.com

×
×
  • Create New...