BMW 335i?

reeceybeaney

Yes, plenty, I own pretty heavily modified a 135i as it happens. 

Chassis needs work to get anywhere near Z33 standards but its not that difficult, M3 LCA's, ARB's do a lot of good and if you can stretch to a diff and some camber adjustment its going to be very close. 335i has two engines, twin turbot N54 to about 2010 and then single turbo N55 after that, the N54 has more modding potential (mine is 430/550 with effectively just exhaust and remap) but the N55 is arguably the better drive. 

Theres a 700hp car thats done an 11.1 1/4 for sale atm for £16K if you fancy .......... ;)

• Like 1

Driven them and a few friends have them. Faster then a 350z out of the box, more tuneable, more traction but doesn't have as good feeling, noise, jdm coolness lol

An FI zed would be my choice over a 335i if the extra two seats are not needed.

I car share with a guy who has a 235i most days.  His is lowered and has a remap amongst other visual mods. It sounds lovely, with plenty of pops and bangs on downshift (flappy paddles).  It's rapid too... feels a lot quicker than my Mustang, although in a straight line I think it'd be very close, the power delivery is much smoother on mine and his just feels venemous.  Maybe thats just because i'm a passenger though.

Still look at the 350z and think it's a great looking car and a lot more intriguing and interesting to look at than the 335, which puts me off massively.

There's a supercharged z on eBay for under 10k at the moment and it makes me much more interested than an equally priced 335, so I may have answered my own question :lol:

Maybe when I've grown up a bit more, I'm still enjoying the 350z and for the money, I don't think you can't beat them! :shrug:

• Like 1

TBF a 350Z has half as many seats and half as much boot, comparing on a "which looks more interesting" basis isnt really a fair one. Do the same with a 3.5s Z4  and its a bit different. 

Everything on a 335 is a generation on for me - the interior, the power delivery, performance following a map and fuel consumption figures all tell a story. Admittedly they arent as much fund to drive as the chassis is more comfort focused but c. £600 makes them broadly comparable ......... I will agree that you cant beat a Z33 for the money though :thumbs:

19 hours ago, reeceybeaney said:

There's a supercharged z on eBay for under 10k at the moment and it makes me much more interested than an equally priced 335, so I may have answered my own question :lol:

Near identical spec to the one i had, i can safely say you would not regret it one bit and probably save to say if you look after it, you wont do your nut on depreciation :thumbs:

On 02/08/2018 at 13:46, docwra said:

Yes, plenty, I own pretty heavily modified a 135i as it happens. 

Chassis needs work to get anywhere near Z33 standards but its not that difficult, M3 LCA's, ARB's do a lot of good and if you can stretch to a diff and some camber adjustment its going to be very close. 335i has two engines, twin turbot N54 to about 2010 and then single turbo N55 after that, the N54 has more modding potential (mine is 430/550 with effectively just exhaust and remap) but the N55 is arguably the better drive. 

Theres a 700hp car thats done an 11.1 1/4 for sale atm for £16K if you fancy .......... ;)

Not trying to **** on anyone's parade here but, 700hp,11.1 Qrt Mile?  isn't that a bit slow? I'm assuming it doesn't lay the power down so well? Poor tyre choice? 

My little Pulsar did a smidge over 12 seconds just over a year ago @ 330 hp pulling 1090k. Just seems a little odd. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the bmw 335 is, my brother has it. Very torquey comes 320 bhp and m performance exhaust. Only available in u.s

problem is hes out of warranty and currently spending $9000 on repairs not sure what happened but older siblings tell you stuff on a need to know basis.

he says he,ll run it to the ground. Liked his car though. A bit of lag, but nice and tuneable

Funny story, he once put it in sport mode sounded amazing...going through the intersection in LA, steps on it as crossing, turbo doesn't kick in till we reach other side of intersection.

"I asked ages ago god dammit " :lol:

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 5 weeks later...

Yep i did 350z to 335i... a simple remap sees it hit 360bhp which is looovely... i loved doing the rolling start out of an average speed zone, the way it piles on speed is just silly. Also a lot more refined inside, put still a nice tone from a straight six. Gentlemans express i called mine- in se trim it looked a lot like any other e92, but the old saying, speak softly but carry a big stick!

No probs running it, just needed half a litre of oil between services. Great car.

Looking at a 135i now as a track car, so much grunt for a very reasonable price these days.

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2018 at 19:51, reeceybeaney said:

Without going into too much of a story, has anyone driven or previously owned a 335i? 

Want to compare it to my 350z as a potential next car! Loving the Z of course, but always fancied something with a bit of boost and class:) 

Random PFA

20180519_162913.jpg

Yes, i currently have a Z and an N55 335i, lovely car with effortless power delivery and the DCT box isn't bad, oodles of torque after a simple remap.

That said, it doesn't dance to the same tune as the Z, most notably due to the lack of an LSD.

Just been doing a bit of research on these, I didn't realize they were so cheap now! Seems a bit of a bargain given the tuning potential etc. 

I can't find anything via a google search regards to tuning companies or after market packages etc. What sort of figures do these run with full bolt ons? Intercooler, injectors, exhaust, induction etc? Where would one go to buy such things? 

Actually quite interested in one of these myself, I have been to look at a couple of E92 M3's recently but this looks like a more sensible option potentially. 

N54 with a map and an intercooler will see 430hp and 550lb/ft, N55 is about 400 and 500 but with turbos and fuelling there are 800+hp cars with unopened N54's in the US.
MHD is the management of choice and can be downloaded for buttons then put onto the car, generic maps are supposedly pretty good. M3 arms and ARB's are relatively cheap, a diff will be about £1000is. 

The E92 M3 is a better car on track but everywhere else the low down torque of the 35 makes it a better, and dare I say faster drive. There 

• Like 1