Mars next stop :)

gangzoom

Aye, Bill Gates has done some very impressive work with his billions too, unfortunately he cant put his name to a lot of it but a lot of WHO money is directly from the Gates foundation. 

I mean, I can understand why a millionaire wants another million, or even a 100xmillionaire wants another 100, but once youre a multibillionaire what else can you do with it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I find it quite staggering that anyone with any thought process of their own (i.e "most" members on here, thats a compliment by the way) are taken in by Musk, maybe i am being too generous :teeth: Unless we evolve to cope with environments other than our own its game over, i think GZ said it right, science FICTION!

Ah well, the ev thread is dead in the water and equally as dull, so i am not surprised to see a "new" topic to circumnavigate the thread to get the banter going again.

Oh look a squirrel in a sequin jump suit :yawn:

Ridiculous. :dry:

4 hours ago, coldel said:

Yes I am a cynical old so and so now - but I think Mr Musk is just aiming to please his ego and say 'hey look at me' rather than putting his publicly financed wealth towards actual issues that will kill us all off way before we work out how to actually survive in space. The 'space survival challenge' has been there for decades which he has ignored from what I can see. 

All that said, it did look amazing watching those two booster rockets land. Has anyone got any footage of the main unit crashing though?

I've done some reading and watched some videos about Elon Musk fairly recently, and I see his projects as a really refreshing benevolent approach that nobody else on the planet is doing.  All of his projects have a 'for the good of humanity' purpose, but they're just a little more outside the box than what the everyman thinks of.  Yes there are problems with pollution and waste, but governments and other companies are already looking at those.  This guy wants to do things that nobody else is doing and push boundaries that humans thought were inconceivable.

A quick quote from a website regarding his ambitions for SpaceX:

"Musk first revealed his company's plan during a SpaceX event in January, though he didn't formally request authorization from the FCC until last month (the news was first revealed Wednesday by the Washington Post). The plan centers around the idea that SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket would launch into orbit, then deploy a fleet of satellites that broadcast Internet signals to various points across the globe...

Musk said during a speech in January that a project of this magnitude would 'be a real enabler for people in poorer regions of the world' as well as help improve the Internet in the U.S., 'where people are stuck with Time Warner or Comcast.'"

Then looking at his Tesla proejcts, the R&D achieved in this field is creating opportunities in other areas which havent been particularly well publicised, such as the deployment of a huge battery/solar farm in South Australia last quarter.  Paraphrasing the solution, it basically allowed reliable, robust, clean power in a very unreliable and difficult to power region that suffered from outages/power shortages.  My understanding was that he provided this solution FREE as a proof of concept and now has got other countries queuing up to get on board!  The above may be factually innaccurate as i heard it on a podcast, but you can read more about it here:  https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/16723186/elon-musk-battery-launched-south-australia

And obviously to continue with this benevolence he needs to make serious money, so great - i hope he continues to make billions so we can see even more innovation.

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1

Some interesting comments on this thread :thumbs:

I just thought I'd throw in a thought I shared with @Wasso on the phone just before the launch - If this Car with a mannequin in a space suit in the drivers seat is still  floating around for the next few hundred  million years and the earth gets destroyed without a trace, I'd just like to see some other intelligent life form that has just  discovered space travel to be sending there first "manned" (aliened?) mission to space and have a red roadster float by with some guy in it - Now that would be amusing. a real WTF moment :lol:

On that possibility alone it was worth doing (given that they had to have some payload to test the rocket with)

That's my current input I will now leave the intellectual banter to you lot again :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

http://yournewswire.com/russian-kid-claims-he-is-from-mars-says-that-all-humans-live-forever/

Saw this on facebook the other day...its where I get all my news:lol:.

But kid believes people live underground on Mars. 

Boriska has a lot of difficulties with school, no sh*t!

Well a lot of people on here seem to believe everything they read, so maybe he is not wrong :lol:

• Like 1

Whether you like him or not, or believe he is altruistic or not its refreshing to see private company principles (efficiency, profit, marketing) being applied to Government level research projects.  

Ive met a few guys who work for Space X and they get worked like dogs and arent paid particularly well when compared to NASA .......... but their budget is much smaller and their results arguably more impressive. 

Which is exactly why I take zero notice of stuff like that. Treat people with contempt and that’s what you get in return. Give me a reasoned non-tinfoil hat argument and I’ll listen. 

Edited by Ekona

2 minutes ago, zedz said:

Do you believe Kennedy was killed by Oswald?

Do you believe it was the Titanic which sank

Do you believe 911 was the work of a foreign power

Do you believe 77 was the work of terrorists

Do you believe man walked on the moon

How many more do you believe in.

You must be very young or very stupid or both if you believe any of this.

How much of your own research on any of these subjects have you done? none I suspect, but you will make a judgment.

You know what, i possibly dont think "some" things we see and hear arent subject to conspiracy theories, however, would it also not be naive to think, every major event is a conspiracy theory?

911 for example, whilst it may seem like monumental planning to pull that off, "they" only have to get it right once and perhaps, just perhaps, they got it right this once?

And when you say "your own research", what research have you done, besides reading internet/books, have you gone seeking evidence your self, or just relied on others to feed you this info?

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

^^^ That wasnt directed at you dude :)

Sorry, I posted as you did, mine was meant as a follow up to my own post a minute before :lol: 

Bad timing all round! 

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, zedz said:

Your on this forum but you don't even have a Z  ;)  

Most of the moderators dont have Zeds any more, perhaps you should take your objection to Ekona being a non z owner up with them ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

• coldel locked this topic