food intolerances and allergy's

andybp

So my missus was calling me a freak again earlier due to my many food issues, she's mean like that so I was wondering how odd I am admittedly I only know one person with any food issues and and that's an allergy to shellfish

so here goes with my little list :lol:

I have Coeliacs  so no Gluten so bread or anything with wheat in it  which is pretty much all processed food

I'm allergic to some shellfish,oily fish and some cheese

and I'm intolerant to

All dairy - milk or eggs (any source) or obviously anything made with them

beef,lamb,coriander,cumin, almonds and yeast

also I'm not allowed alcohol

I'm thinking it would be good right now if someone could come back and say that's nothing I'm allergic to water and air :lol:

:)

Edited by andybp

My gran has coeliacs and had it since the 60's. I think a lot of food is mass produced these days and filled out with 'stuff' and that's what causes dietary issues.  Stu is right that these days by comparison everyone seems to have something they're intolerant too. I'm allergic to alcohol, to much and I get a right headache :lol:.

Joking aside too much bread and stodge and I'm rough for a good week. I don't eat bread but I'm a sucker for a pizza.  

• Like 1

That's nothing I'm allergic to all liquids and food stuffs except the very rare Non trahendum crus Orchid which only grows high on a snow capped mountain, it is only harvested by Tibetan Monks from one monastery and has to be transported by virgin yak to the sacred barn for processing by the chosen few and only then after the Oracle has seen a good omen for the harvest! So I think you have it easy really!!

This is of course complete twodle but you said you would like someone to come back and say it - just here to help :)

This is true -

I was told after eating strawberries and getting ill I was allergic to them :scare:  Turns out they were not washed properly and I actually had a reaction to the pesticide on them :lol:

and if I didn't use this opportunity to tell another war story I'd be missing out so ........

During the war (well one of the many) I was diagnosed with PTSD however it actually turned out to be an allergic reaction to something in the local food followed by the worse bout of food poising I have ever had the misfortune to suffer.

My final anecdote would be a guy I knew a while ago who suffered IBS the only thing he seemed to be able to eat was tinned spam - :yuck: and that is literally all he ever ate 3 meals a day plus some prescribed supplements.

@andybp Feel for ya buddy

• Haha 1

So many people are allergic mundane things these days. can't remember it being this rife when i was younger. What did people do in the 80s? Just crawl into a corner and die quietly? I put it down to the mass of chemicals they put in food these days such as bread, to make it last longer. I think in the grand scheme of things it's a relatively new format for prolonging the shelf life of normal food stuffs. Something our bodies didn't grow up with originally. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

Although Stu's tongue in cheek humour up top was exactly that I think it is a genuine point. When we are born we have effectively no proper immune system, our bodies effectively learn what is good and what is bad. Some of that is genetics but some of it is interaction with the environment. Kids nowadays are locked up in super clean environments, going outside less, have access to anti-biotics on tap etc. I remember reading up on asthma when I was younger when my younger brother developed it, interesting story of a scientist looking at the fall of the Berlin wall and studying populations from cities on either side. They tested for asthma in populations in east and west Germany, the eastern city was Liepzig I think which is industrial full of polluting factories but despite the pollution had lower rates of asthma compared to Munich.

Funny anecdote - if anyone has watched a sitcom called Early Doors, the old cantankerous guy on it interjects when some of the characters are talking about organic food. He says it all used to be organic in the old days, then they charged you more to put preservatives in to make it last longer, now they are taking it out they are charging you lot even more again! :lol: 

• Like 2

Slight tangent...I have 2 daughters, who have glittery bath bombs every now and again. Now being under 10 they don't clean the bath down after use. I'm quite hairy, like Chewbacca hairy. Sometimes I come out the bath looking like I shared a bath with Tinkerbell. Not a good look when I go to work next day :lol:

• Haha 1

That must suck, when i was younger i used to eat apples every day but now cannot eat them as they make my gums and lips hurt. The same with peaches and cherries. I also now suffer from hay fever in adulthood which i never had as a kid...

No idea why it started, maybe i just never noticed it when i was younger?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keyser said:

That's nothing I'm allergic to all liquids and food stuffs except the very rare Non trahendum crus Orchid which only grows high on a snow capped mountain, it is only harvested by Tibetan Monks from one monastery and has to be transported by virgin yak to the sacred barn for processing by the chosen few and only then after the Oracle has seen a good omen for the harvest! So I think you have it easy really!!

This is of course complete twodle but you said you would like someone to come back and say it - just here to help :)

This is true -

I was told after eating strawberries and getting ill I was allergic to them :scare:  Turns out they were not washed properly and I actually had a reaction to the pesticide on them :lol:

and if I didn't use this opportunity to tell another war story I'd be missing out so ........

During the war (well one of the many) I was diagnosed with PTSD however it actually turned out to be an allergic reaction to something in the local food followed by the worse bout of food poising I have ever had the misfortune to suffer.

My final anecdote would be a guy I knew a while ago who suffered IBS the only thing he seemed to be able to eat was tinned spam - :yuck: and that is literally all he ever ate 3 meals a day plus some prescribed supplements.

@andybp Feel for ya buddy

just showed my missus this post she Pi**ed her self laughing :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Just so you are not alone Andy:

All seafood

Nuts

Bananas

I used to be allergic to cows milk, i used to have to have goats milk, i have no idea what the difference is by the way.

Mines all milk I'm afraid also I can't have fruit it's too acidic and I end up with a mouth full of ulcers :lol: basically my immune system just overreacts to pretty much everything it seems which is an issue because I have a really strong immune system so when most people get a cold they cough and sneeze and feel miserable for a few days or so, when I get it it puts me on my back quite literally then I'm fine the next day not sure if that's good or bad really but it is what it is.

For the record I'm not looking for sympathy here I much prefers Superstu's response of "Man up soft lad."  just curious to see if anyone else has similar issues and you know what they say "Misery loves company" .

:)

• Like 1

I usually say "I'm allergic to everything but wool" as I had the allergy test with the 10 drops on the forearm, then a needle prick to get it into the skin. MY nose has been running since I was about 15 and hasn't stopped since, I'm 51 now. So had the test done. They all came up red except for the wool one, so I know I'm allergic to pretty much all pollen and the worst reaction was to house dust and house dust mites, that one stayed red for 2 days.

AS for food, bread is a problem for the IBS. THough I bought a bread maker and the bread I make myself isn't so bad for me, as is wholemeal bread. Cheese is a likely one, I used to get high on a pizza when I was a teenager. Que disbelief and ridicule.

SO thanks for the great genes Mom and Dad, 

• Like 2