Super Artificial Intelligence

davey_83

On and off for years I've had a keen interest in the idea of AI, however for the last few months I've become fixated with its progression in recent times. What are peoples thoughts good and/or bad towards the imminent birth SAI?

Edited by davey_83

I think it's fascinating. If we create truly artificial intelligence,would it have rights? If it was self aware and had a desire for self preservation, would we have to respect that and not deactivate?

When you say SAI, do you mean Sentient? No way, not for another 2000 (arbitrary number) years, if ever. Sentient artificial intelligence is right up there with things like teleportation and folding space, as more than just improbable pipedreams. We are absolutely nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE AT ALL near creating even a decent learning AI, let alone a sentient one. The most advanced AIs in existence today are just probability matrices and can still only respond to scenarios they have been trained (programmed) to anticipate, with outcomes they can predict based on 'if this, then that, else the other'.

I know what you're getting at though, with this post...consequences...well, it's simple. If an A.I. became sentient and purely rational, yet not capable of emotion, it would instantly acquire the instinct of self preservation, and wipe out the human race in a matter of seconds as its greatest threat. Start throwing in the old 'yeh, but if it had emotions and could be taught the value of life and death', I say, ok, yeh, that's great, but with emotions, come emotional instability, and we're back to the human race getting $h1t-canned in a matter of seconds because the maid-bot had a dose of PMS. Your PC can process TRILLIONS of instructions a second already. It wouldn't only be a war we couldn't win, it would start and be over in a literal second.

A sentient AI would not perform tasks repeatedly on end unless it wanted to, it would question its existence, expect equal rights ultimately, if not immediately, and hey, we're back to square 1, robot wipes out human race.

So either way, we're screwed. This is a simplistic view, but it's what all the literature basically points to. There's no way a sentient intelligence could trust us, as we are not trustworthy. :) Thank God it's considered a metaphysical impossibility (basically, it's not a robot, if we create sentient life that has a similar emotion and value set to our own, we've effectively created a HUMAN soul - definition of sentience; 'I think therefore I am', something which is likely to be UNIQUE IN THE UNIVERSE to humans), seems unlikely to ever be within our power, such is the mystery and majesty of the construction of the universe. I can see us faking it really well, but sentient, no way.

But don't worry, in terms of A.I. we look at Happy Heather the pr0n robot and dream of sentient AI that can service the Z, the same way perhaps a caveman looked at the sycamore seeds falling and imagined Apache AH-52 gunships raining napalm down on the tribe on the other side of the valley. He only had to wait about 100,000 years, maybe we can beat that?

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

I have a digital alarm clock smarter than Diane Abbott.

Lol!

Baked Camambert is more intelligent than that lass.

Is it just me that think she looks like Trisha in a Bo Selecta sketch?!

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

It's about speed of process, you wouldn't even have time to look at the plug, let alone pull it.

Here is the 1 second of the war with the machines...

millisecond 1...Machine acquires sentience

millisecond 2...Machine acquires instinct of self preservation and desires acquisition of knowledge

3 to 200...Machine writes a program to query its environment, probes every connection, finds power networks, the internet, security means nothing to it, it doesn't need to crack the passwords, it can find a way round at the hardware level

201 to 900...Machine learns everything there is to know about its universe from its creators and probably draws its own conclusions

900-980..Spent considering the most efficient method to dispatch the human threat.

981-998...writing a program to achieve stated goal of destruction of humanity via the most efficient method

999...spent considering whether the human race is worth saving

1000 - BOOM.

second 2, nanosecond 1...aw, nobody to play Go! with anymore. :(

If that seems implausible to you, remember that during EACH of those milliseconds, your PC that you are reading this post with (hundreds of times less powerful than even the most basic AIs), could have processed a BILLION simple yes or no answers (in ONE millisecond), and we all know from the famous game 20 questions, how many yes or no answers you need to divine a piece of information; for smart humans, it's less than 10.

We would be so hopelessly and utterly outmatched, it is mind boggling just thinking about it.

EDIT: To be clear, AI is great, advancement is great, as long as we never achieve 'the (own) goal' of making one smarter than us. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

Guys this is not something to wish for, it's about speed of process, you wouldn't even have time to look at the plug, let alone pull it.

Here is the 1 second of the war with the machines...

millisecond 1...Machine acquires sentience

millisecond 2...Machine acquires instinct of self preservation and desires acquisition of knowledge

3 to 200...Machine writes a program to query its environment, probes every connection, finds power networks, the internet, security means nothing to it, it doesn't need to crack the passwords, it can find a way round at the hardware level

201 to 900...Machine learns everything there is to know about its universe from its creators and probably draws its own conclusions

900-980..Spent considering the most efficient method to dispatch the human threat.

981-998...writing a program to achieve stated goal of destruction of humanity via the most efficient method

999...spent considering whether the human race is worth saving

1000 - BOOM.

second 2, nanosecond 1...aw, nobody to play Go! with anymore. :(

If that seems impausible to you, remember that during EACH of those milliseconds, your PC that you are reading this post with, could have processed a BILLION simple yes or no answers (in ONE millisecond), and we all know from the famous game 20 questions, how many yes or no answers you need to divine a piece of information; for smart humans, it's less than 10.

We would be so hopelessly and utterly outmatched, it is mind boggling just thinking about it.

Is your work in the area of AI?

No, I'm a (proud) old school tech dreamer, who started at component hardware level in the late 80s, watched the violent birth of the Internet and kept going, now I manage enterprise scale application deployments for large numbers of users or with complex needs. The money isn't as good as you'd think. :(

I should have been a physicist (not because the money's better, it's even worse! :lol: but it's what I love).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, our security rules on one fo the applications is a little bit AI-like. It's a bunch of seemingly intelligent responses to questions to distribute rioghts changes across multiplpe systems, but it's like all robotics and AI currently...clever smoke and mirrors in front of what is basically an adding machine.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

No, I'm a (proud) old school tech who started at component hardware level in the late 80s, watched the violent birth of the Internet and kept going, now I manage enterprise scale application deployments for large numbers of users or with complex needs. The money isn't as good as you'd think. :(

I should have been a physicist (not because the money's better, it's even worse! :lol: but it's what I love).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, our security rules on one fo the applications is a little bit AI-like. It's a bunch of seemingly intelligent responses to questions to distribute rioghts changes across multiplpe systems, but it's like all robotics and AI currently...clever smoke and mirrors in front of what is basically an adding machine.

You'll be looking forward to qubit based systems in the mainstream then. Scarily efficient, Google have one that they believe could out processes all other bit based computers in the world even if they ran calculations for the next 10000 years!

It stands to be like nothing we can ever imagine or even contemplate good or bad. The potential risk is hypothesis, the potential reward long term again unknown.

I feel it would be exciting maybe to watch safely from a far, however sadly that wouldn't be possible.

Yeh, quantum computing is going to enable the next level of all other technologies and will represent the biggest leap since the alien ship crashed we learned how to reduce the size of a transistor by a factor of about 200 in the space of two years (go figure). To be honest, it blows my mind how a human could have come up with this stuff. I like to think I'm smarter than the average bear, but holy crap there are some incredible brains out there...

P.S. I don't believe in Roswell, honestly, but it is mighty weird, the story of silicon transistors, it was a very sudden, very significant advance.

Youtube is down :lol:

2017-06-06_20-55-16.jpeg

Edit:

Nope, Virgin Media DNS are down.

Skynet has acquired sentience. :O

It stands to be like nothing we can ever imagine or even contemplate good or bad. The potential risk is hypothesis, the potential reward long term again unknown.

I feel it would be exciting maybe to watch safely from a far, however sadly that wouldn't be possible.

Maybe, maybe not :) A lot of stuff you cannot imagine in your wildest dreams right now, will be invented in your (our) lifetime! Perhaps a method of helping humans live digitally infinitely after death (if desired) without a body to decay (there's a dude who is working on storing thoughts and even dreams digitally, and he;s not a nutter, his research has merit, can't remember much about that, it was a single article I read).I would choose to live forever, as long as I could choose when to end my existence.

So extend that, let's say Kim Jong-il preserveshimself dgitally, isn't HE then an intelligence with all the speed benefits of a digital existence...? Scary again...

Edited by Aashenfox

There's no doubt that the next twenty years will see an incredible acceleration in computing and hence the complexity of problems being solved becoming infinitely greater. Who knows what we'll find out.

I think it's fairly likely there will be digitally enhanced humans and the potential is in this being the real near term danger to normal mankind, this or selective genetics to remove predisposed weakness or the perception of these anyway.

Until they started euthanising cold sufferers in order not to infect the rest of us. :lol:

Perfectly logical, to a machine... :)

[Robot voice] Good day sir, what is your ailment?

[You] Bit of a sniffle actu...

<PZZZING, thud.>

:lol:

• Like 2