Big V8s. How bad is the fuel consumption

Angrybiker

I'm torn between something 2 - 3 litre turbo like an Sti / evo or a big v8 , 300c or Cherokee SRT8. With an Sti or similar it's the chav image that goes with them which puts me off. But with an SRT8 I have concerns that I'll need to get a second mortgage or sell a kidney to pay for fuel. I'm under no illusions that it'll have Prius beating fuel economy but from people who have owned similar cars I want to know... just how crippling is it?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

My 5.7 ltr V8 Jeep does about 13 mpg on average. 23mpg on a good motorway run and can be as low as 8 mpg scooting about. You can't buy a big v8 engined motor and worry about fuel consumption, that just contradictory. They are what they are..... thirsty bar stewards !!!!!!!!.

Completely depends on the car, how you drive it and your annual mileage.

You can get 40 mpg with a V8 or you can get 4. It's always going to be more expensive than with a more efficient car, but relative to the rest of the running costs it's not a huge amount (unless you are doing high mileage >10k pa).

According to the stats, the mpg for a 300C SRT-8 isn't that much worse than a 350Z (28 mpg rather than 32). So if you're used to the Z, you shouldn't have any problems.

Try this, put in your annual mileage, your expected mpg , and decide if you can afford to spend that much on fuel each year.

Only you can predict your mpg though. Personally, in my Z, I get:

• >40 on motorways
  • ~29 commuting (mostly A roads and a bit of city, but there's a lot of speed cameras)
  • 22 on "spirited" runs (on private roads, spent mostly at 100-140 in 4th / 5th)

Edited by Strudul

:lol: Oh yes fuel economy, forget it, it'll drink. Whilst I'm sure all the V8 manufacturers will state oh we can get 30mpg+ from their engines, the real world numbers are going to be completely different. On average I get 18mpg which takes into account my lengthy drive to London (motorway). If I decide that my wallet is feeling frugal this week, then it's more like 13. The V8 replaces the word economy with the word FUN.

You will need a mortgage to fund a V8 if it's a daily.

• Like 2

I'm selling my zed and replacing it with a family friendly Audi A4 Avant (B7) with a V8 4,2L engine. MPG slightly worst on the Audi but doesn't need ron98 hence monthly fuel in terms of ££ would be around the same with the zed. As everyone else said, don't expect great fuel economy with these performance cars.

I had a Lexus LS400 for a while and was doing 55 miles per day in that. It was a hundred quid to fill up and it went down super quick. I have no idea the mpg as I just kept filling it back up. All I do know is that I was spending over £500 a month on fuel. Saying that, it was a great car.

I wouldn't be doing anything like 55 miles per day. Probably closer to 55 miles per week. That being said, a quick check suggest that your Ls400 gets better mpg than an SRT8. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

If it's going to be a daily and you have a heavy foot, just don't bother. If it's a weekend fun toy, or you drive like you're driving Miss Daisy, it won't be an issue. Simples.

Sources: I was able to get an early Mini Cooper S down to 14MPG and that's a 1.6 so...yeh, it's down to your foot, and struggled to get much better than 18 from an E92 335xi on average use (I do have an exceptionally heavy foot, that's why I now daily an Up! :lol:).

Edited by Aashenfox

When driven normally my XFR gives about this , much better than my 370's

20161107_110845_zpsvjnabrxq.jpg

When driven sedately you can easily get into the low 30's , some people reckon 34mpg on a trip but i havent managed that

20170424_123711_zps6mucaol8.jpg

I have had loads of V8's inc my current car..

Jaguar XKR could just touch 28mpg on a run,around town was 16 mpg...

Currently i have a Mercedes C63 with a map approx 520bhp... I did a run to Worcestershire and back a couple of weeks a go (265 mile round trip) and managed 27.2 mpg.... Its around 15 mpg around town and commute of 6 miles...

I dont do a lot of miles really,and the C63 uses about £20 a month more than the 370z... That said it was £80 cheaper to insure the C63...lol...

Dont a lot of these modern V8's cut cylinders whilst cruising to increase efficiency?

300C HEMI will run on 4 cylinders, yeh.

But it sounds like ass when it does lol, have to keep stabbing the throttle to get her woken up again.

Can always get it disabled with a tune (remap) ;)

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Dont a lot of these modern V8's cut cylinders whilst cruising to increase efficiency?

But it sounds like ass when it does lol, have to keep stabbing the throttle to get her woken up again.

The Ram does this and it's pretty good, maybe it's a 300C thing but in Bob you don't really notice it TBH when waking up the other 4 cylinders.

The Ram does this and it's pretty good, maybe it's a 300C thing but in Bob you don't really notice it TBH when waking up the other 4 cylinders.

Doogy the standard car is sooo quiet due to the huge silencers that you are correct you dont notice, I just happen to have valves welded in after the cats that have straight cutout's to the ground, that's when i can tell how many cylinder's are firing :teeth:

• Like 1

Doogy the standard car is sooo quiet due to the huge silencers that you are correct you dont notice, I just happen to have valves welded in after the cats that have straight cutout's to the ground, that's when i can tell how many cylinder's are firing :teeth:

Haha

I would not say Bob is quiet by any means .... but he does not have cut out valves 😂

• Like 1