Can't Fill Fuel Tank Fully

Strudul

Was trying to fill up and the fuel pump cut off after a while as usual. Didn't think anything of it, but when I checked, I only had 3/4 of a tank. I rarely fill up fully, but I've never had the problem before.

Looks like it is quite a common issue, especially in the states, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a solution.

There is a TSB, but I'm guessing that's US only and expired by now. Also seems to be a few workarounds (upside-down pump), and reports of it being a problem with the fuel pump rather than the car.

Is their a guide somewhere with a fix? Or is it a dealer only remedy?

Cheers

It'll be a faulty fuel sender.

Cost / difficulty to replace?

Going to try fill up again next week and see if I have the same problem. Hopefully it was just a one-off glitch, but like to know what I'm dealing with.

If you do try to do this yourself, make sure you have easy access to the o-rings that are needed, or if you don't (sic: have a nissan dealer near you), then buy at least 1 extra in case you screw it up...

The o-rings expand immediately that they come into contact with fuel. If they accidentally touch a drop of fuel prior to being seated, you will then not be able to fit them at all, off to nissan to buy more (they aren't expensive on their own, about 12 quid I think, but if you need to buy 3, or 4, then it mounts up). Apart from the fact that opening the fuel tank is a dangerous exercise at the best of times, you have to consider that if you do spill a lot of fuel in your car (you're going to spill 'some' no matter what), it's going to stink and be horrible to clean up. Then there's the aforementioned spotless clean up so there's no standing fuel ANYWHERE to ruin your o-rings. Plus the senders themselves are REALLY delicate. It's a pretty high risk job, I wouldn't take it on to be honest, but you may feel differently.

My car is going in for this exact work on friday (my fuel gauge only works at between 50% and 30% fuel level, at all other levels, the needle drops against the stop), as well as a load of other work. I warned my guy about the o-rings AND gave him 4, so he has two chances lol.

Re: fix not working for long, I agree, once contaminated, variable resistors more easily get contaminated again (I know this from my RC hobby as well as hearing it in the past about the Z senders). I bought new-ish senders from a low mileage car from Jon@Emperor and will replace them wholesale, I doubt I'll ever need to change them again considering I do about 1500 miles a year and use 100RON fuel (it actually cleans the senders, they've been getting slightly better on their own since I bought the car).

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

We had to do a fuel pump on a mazda 6, and he was a decent chap and delivered it with a full tank. The pump is in the tank on these, it was a nightmare, Moral is, do it before a refill lol

• Like 1

If the fuel gauge isn't working would the 'miles until empty' read out still work?

Sounds like there is a conflict somewhere, but I'm not sure how:

Typical example would be that a full tank normally gets me 300 miles after I’d done

180 the fuel gauge would hit zero and the fuel computer would claim only a few miles

of petrol left. The first time it happened I went to fill up and the car only took 40 litres

so I figured something is up here.

Is it a case of there is more fuel in the tank than the car thinks? (Says empty, but actually loads left, or says 3/4 full but actually fully full)

Or less fuel in the tank than the car thinks? (Says 3/4 full, but actually only half full)

Or just chaos and it's all borked?

Though the DTE readout is massively inaccurate anyway :lol:

Edited by Strudul

Aye, basic precaution #7 in that guide is to do it with an empty (or as near as dammit) tank.

However, if my fuel gauge is reading incorrectly, how will I know when it's empty? :shrug:

:lol:

This is exactly my problem. :lol: Or rather, it's going to be my mechanic's problem. :lol:

I suppose if someone can confirm that when the pump shuts off it's actually full, then you can just drive however many miles you expect to get from 1 tank.

Just carry a jerry can for when you **** up. :lol:

It will never over report the fuel level, you will always have at least what it tells you. The only way you can run out is if it says you have 50miles and you assume it's broken and have 100. If you slavishly follow the meter and believe it's correct then you'll be fine. I know the spot on mine where it dips so I just drive through it and then it balances back out. Obviously if yours is totally borked that's no good but if it's just a question of the tank showing 3/4 when it should show full it's really not a problem.

I'm guessing as the petrol pump has clicked off, it should mean the tank is full. So I'd have thought when the gauge says 3/4 full, it's actually full full. Whether that means when it reads 0 I still have 1/4 tank or not, I've no idea :lol:

Though there is always the chance it was a false positive or faulty petrol pump.

Pick a garage to do the work that has rollers. Get car onto said rollers and start it up. Wedge the loud pedal down and when the car runs out of fuel, hey presto, you are at the garage.

I've seen several DIYs for this that did it with plenty of fuel in the tank, I believe it needs to be below about 40% to not spill out through the access ports when they're removed. You just need to be careful lifting all the bits out you don't spread fuel everywhere, and naturally, make sure you're on a level surface.

I have this issue but it's intermittent. I fill the car up and occasionally the gauge reads just under a full tank. However I park on a slope nose down and if left for a few minutes the gauge reads OK again until the next time I fill up. I panicked the first time it happened and refuelled after I had used what the gauge was proporting to be half a tank. I only managed to squeeze in £21 so knew the fault was under reading not over reading.

• Like 1