End of driving coming.... courtesy of Nissan

gangzoom

Also saw that Uber are pulling a load of driverless cars in the US after the computer flipped one on its side (albeit in a collision with another car potentially at fault)

Interesting conundrum for you - clearly the computer is given code to make decisions, if the decision was to avoid a head on collision at speed which will most likely kill the driver and its occupants, but the only way to avoid it is to swerve and hit some pedestrians by the side of the road, how do you program it to decide...what decision should it make.

• Like 3

Also saw that Uber are pulling a load of driverless cars in the US after the computer flipped one on its side (albeit in a collision with another car potentially at fault)

Interesting conundrum for you - clearly the computer is given code to make decisions, if the decision was to avoid a head on collision at speed which will most likely kill the driver and its occupants, but the only way to avoid it is to swerve and hit some pedestrians by the side of the road, how do you program it to decide...what decision should it make.

ah, the film (and original book) I Robot springs to mind

• Like 2

Im just not a fan of automated cars, never have been and doubt I ever will.

The only way they can ever work is if every other vehicle on the road is automated and they interact. Life will be bloody dull the day it happens, just hope im not around to see it.

• Like 1

Im just not a fan of automated cars, never have been and doubt I ever will.

The only way they can ever work is if every other vehicle on the road is automated and they interact. Life will be bloody dull the day it happens, just hope im not around to see it.

Cannot say I disagree but its coming. Jag apparently have a similar car doing the rounds in Coventry. I have little doubt these things will turn out to be safer than human drivers, for a start they will stick to the speed limit.

Once insurance companies are convinced they will loss less money insuring these things it'll be game over for human driver. You will be able to drive your self but your insurance premiums will be astronomical compared to one of these things..... And it'll happen alot quicker than you think.

DirectLine is already doing a tiral giving a 5% discount on any Tesla with autopilot software enabled.

Calculate speed/kinetic energy remaining after collision with pedestrians and after collision with other vehicle (assuming current velocity of other vehicle) and work out best chances of survival based on physics, physiology and sh*t. :)

They suspended the program for three days, but the "driverless" car still had a driver and engineer in it

I cant help but think whilst we might have the technology for driverless cars we are a long way off with the infrastructure , watching videos of Tesla drivers they only really work well on freeways as they are wide roads with clear markings and everyone driving in the same direction

It is a good point, what happens when you pull into a car park? Or a field for a festival. So many scenarios about there which break the system.

Don't get me wrong I am all for innovation (it's in my job title!) but I also like to stress test every outcome of innovation - on the road where lives matter the test and learn approach is not one I particularly agree with with certain innovations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience of the reliability of electronics in everyday life scenarios is such that I place far more faith in the human brain driving cars around on our roads as they are today, albeit they are not always reliable but for me remainfar more adept at making split-second decisions in a whole raft of different issues we all come across evey time we get behind the wheel.

Whilst controlled environments for travel like air/train/tram/sea travel etc works with electronics taking charge, the endless list of potential pitfalls (including potholes! :lol: ) on our roads makes me quite glad I won't be around long enough to see the carnage.

makes me quite glad I won't be around long enough to see the carnage.

Am not sure why everyone thinks this tech is a generation away. Every major car company is throwing their huge chucks of their R&D budget into this tech and am pretty sure within the next 5 years at least some degree of automation will be available to the mass public.

I too am unsure just how well the systems will work but the Nissan tech demo shows they aren't far off a commercially viable product!!

Edited by gangzoom

I dont think its a generation away but watching videos like this i think its not going to be around the corner . The motor manufacturers might feel its worth investment but the local council around here aren't in a hurry to fill 2ft deep potholes i dont know where they will find the money to modify and maintain the roads in a position that self driving cars will be a viable proposition

They "may" however use the tech to automatically limit a cars speed to that of the road and prevent certain types of reckless driving ie pulling out when a car is coming etc. They may well automation to prevent the meat sack behind the wheel from doing anything stupid/polluting/reckless but actually having a car that ONLY a machine can drive , thats a long way off

More specifically, is the car going to have to take a driving test :lol:

And who will be the examiner....another box of electronics sat on the passenger seat? :wacko:

In all seriousness, unless there are specific roads identified for the purpose (M6 toll comes to mind) if the technology is allowed to takeover on anywhere roads in the remainder of my lifetime, think I'll move somewhere that cars for us petrolheads are not allowed.........except on private land :ninja:

• Like 1

pretty sure within the next 5 years at least some degree of automation will be available to the mass public.

"Some degree of automation" isnt "the end of driving" though, is it?

I work in aviation and as most people know, larger aircraft all have autoland/ILS and autopilot along with supporting systems like RVSM and TCAS - ILS is that accurate that its been wearing out specific parts of runways,drones have shown us that they can be piloted remotely as well ........ but there are still a couple of guys sat in the comfy seats at the front, see also ships and trains.

Its going to be a little while before computers are 100% responsible for making sure you get to where you are going with no human input, it will be a lot longer before the self driving option is removed entirely.

This sort of tech will only work effectively on motorways. This is where you will see the ownership of automated vehicles being a benefit. They have yet to design a system that can assess the road surface, condition of tyres etc. There are still so many variables to take into account including road infrastructure issues such as blind junctions etc.

Highly unlikely this tech will be mainstream for many many years yet.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, unless there are specific roads identified for the purpose (M6 toll comes to mind) if the technology is allowed to takeover on anywhere roads in the remainder of my lifetime, think I'll move somewhere that cars for us petrolheads are not allowed.........except on private land :ninja:

You better be packing your bags, UK law already allows for fully automated driving on any roads. That Nissan is been driven around the UK, and as I've already mentioned apparently Jag has similar car that's been spotted up/down the M6

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/24/new_uk_law_driverless_cars_insurance_liability/

I do actually like this idea. Do I want auto-drive on a sunny spring Sunday morning... no. Would i quite like to be auto-driven down the M1 on a Friday night when visiting relatives after a long and tiring week at work... yes. I think this balance is where we will probably get to eventually with some sections of motorway maybe being auto-drive only, but we are years off that.

They have yet to design a system that can assess the road surface, condition of tyres etc. There are still so many variables to take into account including road infrastructure issues such as blind junctions etc.

Jag is already working on it!!

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/self-driving-autonomous-land-rover-jaguar-technology

Lol, so is Thatcham Research but they are miles away from it.The end of the article sums it up nicely re: liability.

I don't think the question is if they can be made infallible in terms of causing death, I think that would be impossible (a ton of moving metal is a deadly weapon under any circumstances) but to make an improvement on current statistics, probably not difficult, and if that's managed, then success, no?

You won't get my hands off the wheel unless you prise them off, cold and dead. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

I don't think the question is if they can be made infallible in terms of causing death, I think that would be impossible (a ton of moving metal is a deadly weapon under any circumstances) but to make an improvement on current statistics, probably not difficult, and if that's managed, then success, no?

Its like the old Capital Punishment argument though, if you save 10 lives but cost 1 that you wouldnt have done, is that progress? I dont consider myself as a statistic either, I pay more attention and have more car control than the "average" driver so would a self driving EV actually be safer than me? I know which Id trust more :lol:

• Like 2

For me driverless cars could only have been design by passionless, soulless, techno geeks that don't understand what driving is all about.

Whats next ? the Dog the walks itself ? The pint that drinks itself ? or even worse...The pie that eats itself.

• Like 1