End of driving coming.... courtesy of Nissan

gangzoom

i would rather fall victim to my own mistake and not have my death sentence set by an algorithm

Exactly the point I tried to make - you have quite a big decision here for coders sat in a valley in the US, that they will ultimately decide if you are walking down the road one day that you die to save a group of people in a car. Should 1 pedestrian die to save 4 people sat in a car, where a driver might not make the same decision? Numbers say yes, human instinct would say no. But then 1 life is less valuable than 4 is it?

As with most innovation, the technology is relatively easy, the outcomes and implications are immensely complicated. Who has liability, who makes the decisions etc.

I know! In the case where an accident one way or another is inevitable, and the computer can't decide, it's liitle voice pipes up 'sorry bro, you're on your own!' and hands manual control to you immediately. :lol:

Edited by Aashenfox

i would rather fall victim to my own mistake and not have my death sentence set by an algorithm

Exactly the point I tried to make - you have quite a big decision here for coders sat in a valley in the US, that they will ultimately decide if you are walking down the road one day that you die to save a group of people in a car. Should 1 pedestrian die to save 4 people sat in a car, where a driver might not make the same decision? Numbers say yes, human instinct would say no. But then 1 life is less valuable than 4 is it?

As with most innovation, the technology is relatively easy, the outcomes and implications are immensely complicated. Who has liability, who makes the decisions etc.

so technically it would be pre meditated murder

I know, in the case where an accident one way or another is inevitable, and the computer can't decide, it's liitle voice pipes up 'sorry bro, you're on your own!' and hands manual control to you immediately. :lol:

And you have a coca cola in one hand and a book in the other whilst leaning over the seat and talking to the person behind you probably unaware of what road you are on let alone the impending incident... ;)

So many implications, I can see some partial implementation (we already have it to a degree with lane control etc) but the idea that in 20 years we are all sitting there having a snooze whilst cars take us 100 miles from A to B is quite frankly not realistic.

'twas in jest. :) But at the end of the day, all the small print will say 'your responsibility to be alert and take control if it does something stupid, etc.' Don't forget, you CAN take control at any time, and you CAN still see out of 4 sides of the car. Yes, I agree having to be alert will kind of defeat the point, but hey, I didn't say it was perfect, nor will t be my policy to implement, but that's how it will be I reckon.

Edited by Aashenfox

Yeah I know you were jesting. But it was a good point! I am struggling with the legalities of it, if someone doesn't respond quick enough to being given control and someone else dies, does that make it manslaughter? But then whats the point? I know when I travel in cars as a passenger i am never going to be as alert as if I am driving. I don't think a car can just hand back control in a split second, it has to be a transition.

Interesting, just read this on the BBC just now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39495915

'Fail-safe'

The shuttle seats four people and has no steering wheel or brake pedal.

During the trial, five cameras and three lasers will help it navigate a two-mile riverside path near London's O2 Arena, an area also used by pedestrians and cyclists.

In this case, there is a 'controller' but he has no control whatsoever. The vehicle's top speed is 10mph, so it's unlikely to cause a major accident, but let's say a double decker bus is careering out of control toward the 'shuttle', what can the driver do with no controls? Apparently he only has an emergency stop.

I have been in one of these, they have them as a parking option at Heathrow airport. Quite uncomfortable, slow and jerky. Felt like I was sat in a bumper car at a fairground. That said, was nicely convenient to just jump into instead of waiting for a bus across the airport.

I believe BMW have self parking cars or are working on it. I dont mean you move the pedal, but you get out at work or the office, and it goes and finds its allocated parking spot. Then you push a button when you need it and it comes and collects you.

I would talk to my watch while secretly pressing the button. "Kitt, come round the front."

"Yes, Michael"

"FFS, my name's Jonathan. JONATHAN! Stupid car".

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

I am trying to remember the name of the kids film, its animated, but it is the future where humans sit on floating seats and have turned into bulbous blobs and lost the ability to walk. Its a comedy, but it also has a slight edge to it...

• Like 2

I am trying to remember the name of the kids film, its animated, but it is the future where humans sit on floating seats and have turned into bulbous blobs and lost the ability to walk. Its a comedy, but it also has a slight edge to it...

WALL-E

Exactly what I was thinking :lol:

• Like 1

WALL-E

Exactly what I was thinking :lol:

Same here, If people insist on technology doing more and more for them then our future will be fat blobs floating around on hover boards.

• Like 1

I often wonder which way we will ultimately go...Borg or Blob. I believe that one of them is inevitable. Depends which direction technology turns I suppose. If we start using more labour saving technologies, maybe we will lose use of our legs (but not necessarily get fat, that's more of a commentary on current social issues surrounding obesity, you only get fat if you eat more calories than you need, so lazy or not, some would be fat, some would not, I digress...), but if we develop faster along the interconnection and networking path, maybe we will soon start implanting stuff inside our bodies, it will start with mobile devices being integrated into the visual cortex and audio centres (imagine a virus that constantly played a tune you hated inside your head that you couldn't stop! :O) so that we have augmented reality, and it will go from there unti we become a hive mind incapable of or denied, individual function.

Sorry, having a philosophical afternoon.