Thought I had a revup... apparently not?

Stan

Only just found this out today. I have a 56 plate with all the LED lights/ revised interior etc and it was registered 09/2006 so thought I had the revup engine. However I had my aux belts fitted yesterday and ordered revup ones that didn't fit, and after speaking to the company and giving my numberplate they have now told me my car was manufactured 12/2005 and is non-revup engine!

I really thought all facelifted zeds without the HR were revup?? :huh: I'm a bit annoyed now as I went for a facelift assuming it was the revup. Guess that is my fault though for not checking properly

Is this going to affect anything in future with regards to engine mods i.e. will I need to get different things such as plenum spacers?

I'll be amazed if it has the facelifted interior but the older DE engine. Strudel is right, check the tacho but also check and see whether the car physically bumps into the limiter at 6.5 or 7.

Got any pics floating around of the car, external and internal?

• Like 1

Late registered cars aren't particularly rare, and updating the rear LEDs certainly isn't, however I would be surprised if the interior, headlights and front bumper have all been changed too. Not impossible, just very rare to go to that extent.

I too would be very interested in seeing some pix.

I'm gonna have a look at the dials when I get home, but I'm sure its got a 7k redline. I doubt that everything including interior has been replaced, including doorcards, dash and console (not to mention f&r LEDs etc) as its such an expense to do that isn't it?. Such a wierd thing, unless the belt supplier have got it wrong?

Is there anywhere on the actual engine you can see if its revup or not?

Probably, but not easily I don't think. Alex would be the person to ask on that.

I'm not buying it, to do a full interior change plus all the exterior stuff would cost more than simply swapping the car for a different one. Not easy to do an engine swap either, as IIRC the Revup doesn't play nicely with DE electrics and vice versa.

We need pics of the engine please. You can tell instantly as the cam chain covers a different on the rev up. I had problems with my belts as well when I changed them and definitely have a rev up (56 plate originally).

Ignore the intake and plenum, but this shows the different cam chain covers. Top is DE, bottom is Rev Up.

IMG_0500.jpg

datsun_260z_aardvark_4.jpg

After running your reg I see it was manufactured in 2006 and the co2 emissions point to it being a RevUp too. This is according to the DVLA, I also ran it on another reg checker and it came up as a 296, which would be correct. Check the covers from a couple of posts up and let us know. Hopefully it hasn't had a heart transplant with the wrong version :(

Only just found this out today. I have a 56 plate with all the LED lights/ revised interior etc and it was registered 09/2006 so thought I had the revup engine. However I had my aux belts fitted yesterday and ordered revup ones that didn't fit, and after speaking to the company and giving my numberplate they have now told me my car was manufactured 12/2005 and is non-revup engine!

I really thought all facelifted zeds without the HR were revup?? :huh: I'm a bit annoyed now as I went for a facelift assuming it was the revup. Guess that is my fault though for not checking properly

Is this going to affect anything in future with regards to engine mods i.e. will I need to get different things such as plenum spacers?

After running your reg I see it was manufactured in 2006 and the co2 emissions point to it being a RevUp too. This is according to the DVLA, I also ran it on another reg checker and it came up as a 296, which would be correct. Check the covers from a couple of posts up and let us know. Hopefully it hasn't had a heart transplant with the wrong version :(

So who is the company saying your car was manufactured in 2005? Did they have the engine number?

Everything points to your roadster being built as a facelift as it would cost a small fortune to change all the components from a pre Mid-March 2006 (when the first facelifts became available).

Hopefully it is an error on the part of the belts supplying company rather than the option of an older engine having been transpanted.

• Like 2

So who is the company saying your car was manufactured in 2005? Did they have the engine number?

Everything points to your roadster being built as a facelift as it would cost a small fortune to change all the components from a pre Mid-March 2006 (when the first facelifts became available).

Hopefully it is an error on the part of the belts supplying company rather than the option of an older engine having been transpanted.

It is Import Car Parts in West Auckland, who appear to be ok as far as trading is concerned. They sent me a 6pk1153 belt as they say the revup has a shorter belt... however it seems I need the 6pk1173 which according to them is for the DE as the DE takes a longer belt?. I gave them my reg and they came back saying it was built 12/2005 and hence that is why it needs the longer belt.

Is this right or have they got it back to front and the DE takes the shorter belt?

Regardless they are sending me a longer one so that is fine, I was just concerned I had something dodgy going on!

6 PK1173 will fit both early DE and rev up models. :thumbs:

Is the DE generally a longer or shorter belt than the RevUp?

I have always supplied and fitted the 6PK 1173 to both models.

My understanding is that there is only one size of serpentine belt for both models.

The exceptions are pulley delete and if you have changed the pulley size.

6 PK1173 will fit both early DE and rev up models. :thumbs:

Is the DE generally a longer or shorter belt than the RevUp?

I have always supplied and fitted the 6PK 1173 to both models.

My understanding is that there is only one size of serpentine belt for both models.

The exceptions are pulley delete and if you have changed the pulley size.

I always thought the same, but there seems to be a recent influx of people with the wrong belts :shrug:

I got this from the Gates website and there appears to be 2 options for '06 350's.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-01%20at%2000.35.08.png

I gave them my reg and they came back saying it was built 12/2005

Probably was built then. Although the facelift didn't go on sale until April 2006 it was introduced in Japan in September 2005 and I can't imagine that they made both models at the same time. They probably stockpiled them for a few months.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Slight revival but I got the replacement 6PK1173 belt and had it fitted today, and surprise surprise it fitted perfectly.

Looks like the seller was mis-informed in this instance

Also took a chance to look at my engine and it's definitely revup going from the pic on page 1

OT7UgTm.jpg

Hopefully this will help anyone else with a revup and aux belt issues :D