Sudden drop in fuel economy ???

Bullet

I've owned my car 2 years and its always returned around around 200-220 miles to a full tank but over the last month the mpg has dropped off every week to the point where i'm now only getting 160 miles per tank ?? thats about 13-14 miles per gallon.

My car was only serviced just before christmas, oil, plugs and air filter and i don't have any lights up on the dash.

Anyone got any idea what it could be ?

Are you putting a similar amount in when fuelling up. In my case it was a faulty fuel gauge as when I fuelled up from a quarter of a tank it only took about £30 to brim again. Recently the gauge played up again only displaying three quarters after brimming. My intention was to take out the sensors and clean but it's now ok again.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Otherwise it's over fuelling or leaking somewhere. Leaks in most cases are obvious but the ecu over fuelling due to receiving dodgy info via a sensor is less obvious. Strange you have no cel on if it's over fuelling though.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Fuel economy stuffers in cold weather due to cold start ups and the length of time it takes the engine to reach correct opperation temp.

That's another reason too, however it shouldn't make a vast amount of difference unless temps are sub zero all the time, modern engines are designed for quick warm up and the VQ is no exception with a rad bypass pipe to help, so cold enrichment time in theory shouldn't be a lot different, at least not enough to cause that change in consumption.

Try taking the MAF out (need a star socket for it), and use contact cleaner spray over it.

Have a look on youtube to get the idea.

My fuel gauge doesn't work properly so I just fill it to the brim, reset the trip and once it gets to around 250miles I fill up again.

It's one of those jobs to do er soon :D

I disconnected the battery before doing my MAF and was careful not to touch it. Was I being over cautious or is this the recommended way to do it?

Throttle body needs the same routine though doesn't it?

Check the manual but essentially yeah, it's what it says in there.

I don't know if you really have to disconnect the battery, just pull the plug before removing it.

Id say check tyre pressures, i'd never have though they would make much of a difference but blimey, i used half a tank in 5 days worth of 10 mile trips lol... realised my back tyres where low (wondered why it was launching off the lights so well haha) and i manage the same trip in 1/4 of a tank

• Like 1

I'm a little ocd and check my tyre pressures every second fill up (so once a month), my fuel gauge is working fine and i religiously fill up as soon as the fuel light comes on and brim it.

Could it really be caused by a dirty maf ?

• Like 1

i religiously fill up as soon as the fuel light comes on and brim it.

That's all well and good, but what's the actual volume of fuel that you are putting in each time? As previously stated a dirty fuel gauge sensor could easily mean you've still got 20% more fuel in the tank when the light comes on and you "brim it".

Fuel economy if anything should be better in cold weather.

Cold air is more dense meaning bigger bang.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Performance might be better, but not fuel economy. ;)

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/coldweather.shtml

This is why i clean cars and leave the mechanic to fix them 😂

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk