Ok so the new Tax thing....

AMT

Yeah, something to look forward to when we buy used 17+ plate cars though..

Stupid system though. If it's a tax for using the roads, it should be based on your mileage. If it's a tax for emissions then why make them all the same, but still penalise EVs with the £310 for 5 years tax...

Yeah not the best. If your gonna put it on emissions fine, but don't go overboard. If your basing it for the 'looking after the uk's roads'....make EVERY car the same. Electrics EV's.... I dunno, I couldn't care less about them lol £2K onto your new swanky car though if its a big one...oooft haha

• Like 1

I think the government realised that the car tax coffers were dwindling, so now they have at least four different systems on the go just to keep the money rolling in ... I've beaten the system though (I think) - my new car is arriving 1st March and it's going to be zero tax for ever :)

:band:

• Like 1

The issue is, tax raised from motoring in all its guises, goes into a government pot, and is used for everything. I wouldn't mind if all the roads weren't full of holes...but then id complain when roadworks are everywhere filling in holes

Only a matter of time before they reintroduce some kind of scrappage scheme for these old, high tax polluting cars to make people move to the new system

Quite possibly: The next push is to get those awful stinking diesels off the road, as they've suddenly realised that they're worse for air quality than petrol ever was. One way to incentivise would be a scrappage scheme of some kind, trouble is is that a lot of the vehicles they want to get shot of are still too new and worth too much: The scrappage scheme would cost a fortune, which is money the government doesn't have.

Be careful what you guys wish for. It's like that in Greece (proportional to the car) and works like this...

If your car is younger than 10 years old, the first hurdle is justifying ownership. In order to be in the 'normal' tax bracket, you have to have recorded earnings over the amount considered reasonable to own such a car. For example, if you get paid 50 grand a year and buy a 150 grand car, you're going to pay a MASSIVE extra tax, as the government figures you must be getting money from somewhere else to own a car like that. If your car is older than 10 years, this tax is not applied regardless of circumstances.

Then there's luxury tax. Again if your car is under 10 years old you will pay an additional luxury tax based on the size of the engine. The bigger the engine the more the tax. This starts at 2 liter at about 600 euros, and goes up fast, 3.0 is 1250 euros, 4.0+ is 3650 euros.

Then there's good old regular road tax. If your car is older than 2010, you pay based on the cubic capacity of the engine, if your car is newer than 2010, you pay based on its CO2 emissions, those paying based on CO2 are paying considerably less than us with older cars.

So, my road tax for a 3.5l is 1150 euro a year, that's all I have to pay. But if it was newer than 10 years old that annual figure would rise to about 2800.

Now bear in mind the average wage here is HALF the UK, it's pretty nuts.

That's what you get when you have a cash in hand society that never pays any tax and makes the government bankrupt ;) ;) ;)

I know you were just trolling Dan, but I'm gonna make a little point on that, I can't help it. :)

Harsh, but semi-fair. To be fair to the Greeks, buying a 200 euro pair of sunglasses for 150 and not getting a receipt is not what is responsible for the crisis. What is funny though is the consistently 'opposite-to-what-is-required' reactions from our child government. Need more money? Tax bigger cars more. Sounds fair right? And in many cases it is, however, people have the option to take their cars off the road by handing in their plates, avoiding paying any tax relating to the car. A LOT of people have done this and revenues have actually gone DOWN since the huge tax increases 5 years ago. They're idiots, they need help. They should halve the taxes, then they'd colelct doube as people put their big engined cars back on the road.

Edited by Aashenfox

Just so people are aware, EV's don't run on magical fairy dust, they produce emissions too, so it's only right they have to pay into the pot as well. The only difference is petrol/diesel cars produce the emissions as they are driven, EV's produce it before they even charge up, possibly in a different county.

As for the new tax system, it seems fair enough for poor people like me, who can only afford a £40k car when it's 5 years old and the inflated tax has already been paid and it's back down to the normal rate :teeth:

• Like 1

Just so people are aware, EV's don't run on magical fairy dust, they produce emissions too, so it's only right they have to pay into the pot as well. The only difference is petrol/diesel cars produce the emissions as they are driven, EV's produce it before they even charge up, possibly in a different county.

EVs are still exempt, and I've had £9.5K worth of government EV 'grants' go towards the EV purchases and x2 home chargers installed for free. Hope the scheme is still going in 2018/19 so that we'll get another £4,5K off the list price on the Jag iPace.

As for emissions I cannot be bothered to point out the obvious facts over preconceptions anymore, this piston-heads thread does it all for me, and i don't even think I've made a post on it!!

http://www.pistonhea...&t=1652693&i=80

Edited by gangzoom

Which is frankly, hilarious, given that construction of such cars requires all kinds of technology to be shipped from all over the world contributing to marine and air pollution. Some say that the emissions just resulting from the transport of the various components to make and sell a Prius is already more than the average american manufactured v8 over its lifetime, before the Prius has even done a mile. I don't know if that's true or not, take it with a pinch of salt, but there's no smoke without fire, as they say.

EDIT: P.S. Not to mention the horrendously hazardous by-products of the creation and disposal of the batteries that power electric cars.

Edited by Aashenfox

EVs are still exempt, and I've had £9.5K worth of government EV 'grants' go towards the EV purchases and x2 home chargers installed for free. Hope the scheme is still going in 2018/19 so that we'll get another £4,5K off the list price on the Jag iPace.

As for emissions I cannot be bothered to point out the obvious facts over preconceptions anymore, this piston-heads thread does it all for me, and i don't even think I've made a post on it!!

http://www.pistonhea...&t=1652693&i=80

Aren't they only exempt after the 5th year if they are over £40k? Of course cheaper EV's are exempt from VED, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

As for your link, I don't have time to read it now, but if it's about the emissions in creating electricity for EV's, and it's showing it's much less than petrol/diesel, I agree, but it's not Zero however, so therefore should have to pay.

^The £40k+ car bit apply, but you don't pay the £140 bit or any initial tax lump. I don't actually mind that, people who can afford a £40k car should be able to afford £310 a year.

Taxation has always been used to drive public spending, its one of main reasons diesel sales now are on par with petrol sales. EV/hybrid sales have been doubling every year but still only made up of 4% of total sales compare to nearly 40% in Norway. So plenty more room to go.

The new rules seem overall pretty fair, am sure the EVs been exempt will change in the future.

Still if incentives are around now why not take advantage, the Tesla we have arriving comes with 'free for life' Supercharging access, where as all new Teslas ordered now have to pay 20p/kWh to use the Superchargers which would be £10-20 for a 0-100% recharge, that's a big change from 'free'!!!

So even the manufacturers are already removing incentives as the products become more popular....

Edited by gangzoom

People are, for the most part, idiots. VED is such a tiny cost in the overall scheme of car ownership, anyone picking a car based on that needs shooting.

As is mpg/servicing when compared to deprecation, but desipte the average UK motorists doing less than 7000 miles per year the rise of diesels have been unstoppable. Though hopefully that will change.

Like it or not VED do drive people's decision making process.

Edited by gangzoom