Insurance problems.

TT350

My mate pays £2k, so no idea how you manage that, kind of blows your theory of expensive parts out the water ;)

No, you've missed my point: It's not the cost of the parts of the individual car you're insuring, it's the cost of ALL the cars that the company insures. The 3 series is seriously popular and seriously expensive to repair, Audis the same, and even Fords are no longer a cheap fix.

Doesn't matter what you drive, it matters what other people are crashing.

£950 for the Tesla in 'high risk' post code, about to move to a 'low risk' post code will drop price to £850. Either way not as bad as I was fearing.

Wife's car is coming out at £500-600, which is £100 more than last year.

Edited by gangzoom

How old are TT350, I had some probs changing to a 370z too, coming from a supercharged R. Use compare the market and check what RAC offers you. It was only £609 for me, I was 29 yet many refused straight up or others required me to have driven a fast RWD before for min 1 year. Let know know if you get a decent quote and then I could advise further. It's not that I didn't have the money it's that I refused to pay over double compared to my previous Highly modified supercharger type R which was even quicker. Also try green light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 35 with 17 years NCB!

So did we establish that you have a bad post code that's causing it? Did you try compare the market and check what RAC offered ? Take some pics if you can ? I would like to try and help!

My girlfriends renewal increased and was something like £650, 24 years old 5 NCB Nissan micra. The insurer was one in the admiral group. She had already accepted the renewal but I thought hell no and so I went and did a new quote myself, for her. After amending a few bits to make it look better I got it down almost half price saving around £300. The new company was also within the admiral so I rang back the original company and git her to match the she. They have access to eachothers data etc so all she needed was the new quote reference. She repeated it all back to me and said £270 would be reimbursed to her account. I can't recall if there was an admin fee. She was nice enough but had no answer to why the sister company was able to offer almost 50% off. It's obvious a strategy to make money because it's certain that some customers will not bother changing and that's what they rely on. If, as they have demonstrated they can access to eachothers database etc then come renewal why not consider and check if their other companies within the group can offer a lower quote? Of course they will not because they are dishonest and want to mislead us that a higher renewal Is their only option. And then of course they will offer cheaper quotes to those they assume are new customers just to make it more appealing and encourage them to choose their company. The industry is a big joke and the companies that do as I described have no integrity. I really hope regulation changes one day and it becomes the law to offer premiums that are fair to the the consumer... not just mislead people to make bigger profits. Trouble is, I guess part of the reason they use these strategies is as someone mentioned; because repair costs increased so much with more modern and expensive cars on the road, there's probably more similar reasons and so they try to increase costs and profits accordingly.

I'm not fussed with declaring every single minor mod on the car if it's going to result in an even higher quote. And I know people are scared of the cover any claim being invalidated due to an undisclosed mod but that is so unlikely and not as risky as people think. Common sense obviously, I would declare major stuff. They are dishonest so I don't mind telling them they odd lie or 'forgetting ' to mention minor mod. Like I do have a drive way and garage. I could tell them it stays in the garage even if in reality it never does. I do have a garage so it's only half a lie - I could put it in there if I wanted There's a few similar things. Similar with named drivers. My Uncle being a named driver might lower a quote. He drives it like once every month or 2 so I'm not really lying about it or fronting.

Also these days in a 2nd hand car one could genuinely assume an aftermarket part of the car is actually OEM, without being an expert and investigating each part, a HFC for example. So you might not declare it. Plausible deniability. 🤔😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nub

^^

I would be very careful about making a statement on things that could invalidate your cover on a public forum.

I fully agree the renewal games are stupid but if you were ever unlucky enough to be involved in a 5-6 figure at fault claim/payout they will use every trick in the book to cancel your policy. Insurance investigators aren't stupid, they know how to google peoples activities on the Internet.

• Like 1

i had the same problem, had my 350 insured with admiral for over 4yrs,then I sold the car,a year later I bought the 370 and admiral wouldn't insure it and gave no reason to why,tried afew off the well know companies some of them wouldn't insure it as well and the ones that would was asking way to much...

ended up using llyod Latchford in the end.

Same problem here. Been with Admiral for years on a Multicar paying a nice low price for both my cars. The quote I had for both on renewal a couple of weeks ago was nearly £800. Shopped around quite a lot and eventually got it down to less than £500 for both which is still significantly more than before. Not sure of groupings but do have a gut feeling that my 370 is higher insurance than my 350 was.

I'm not fussed with declaring every single minor mod on the car if it's going to result in an even higher quote. And I know people are scared of the cover any claim being invalidated due to an undisclosed mod but that is so unlikely and not as risky as people think. Common sense obviously, I would declare major stuff. They are dishonest so I don't mind telling them they odd lie or 'forgetting ' to mention minor mod. Like I do have a drive way and garage. I could tell them it stays in the garage even if in reality it never does. I do have a garage so it's only half a lie - I could put it in there if I wanted There's a few similar things. Similar with named drivers. My Uncle being a named driver might lower a quote. He drives it like once every month or 2 so I'm not really lying about it or fronting.

Also these days in a 2nd hand car one could genuinely assume an aftermarket part of the car is actually OEM, without being an expert and investigating each part, a HFC for example. So you might not declare it. Plausible deniability. 🤔😉

Yeah, it's not like you put it on the internet for every one to see, is it?

Adding named drivers is fine, even if they never drive it. Not declaring mods is idiotic in the extreme, you might as well not bother insuring it at all.

^^

I would be very careful about making a statement on things that could invalidate your cover on a public forum.

I fully agree the renewal games are stupid but if you were ever unlucky enough to be involved in a 5-6 figure at fault claim/payout they will use every trick in the book to cancel your policy. Insurance investigators aren't stupid, they know how to google peoples activities on the Internet.

Absolutely this. Just because it hasn't happened to you nub doesn't mean its unlikely. When our completely stock Ford Focus was involved in a hit and run by an Asda delivery driver (our car was parked with no one in it at the time) the insurance company sent out a guy who was very helpful assessing the damage, said there and then it was pretty much a Cat D and proceeded to open the boot, look in the cabin, check around the car before compiling his report back.

If you don't declare it A. you run the risk of being invalid B. the mods are not covered like for like so you lose the value of them in a claim C. Saying you do it on a public forum is not sensible as companies will google search you

Not so sure I go along with like for like, I bet a set of rotas, invidia gemini exhaust or aftermarket bumpers for example cost less than oem options, but your policy will likely be loaded if you have them, shouldnt it cost less if your parts are less expensive to buy?

Edited by Jetpilot

Like I do have a drive way and garage. I could tell them it stays in the garage even if in reality it never does. I do have a garage so it's only half a lie - I could put it in there if I wanted There's a few similar things. Similar with named drivers. My Uncle being a named driver might lower a quote. He drives it like once every month or 2 so I'm not really lying about it or fronting.

When I was toying with quotes, it was actually cheaper to say I parked it on the driveway than the garage,

As for named drivers, they never have to drive the car. It's only fronting if you lie about who the main driver is.

Guy on pistonheads is having issues with his claim due to not mentioning factory options, no intention at all to decieve , it is Admiral mind you but giving the insurance company any kind of "out" nowadays its not the smartest idea

In fairness Admiral group are very clear about mentioning factory options in their paperwork, I remember when I was insured with them that that bit stuck out.

Got a link to the thread Rich?

I guess thats ok if you buy new but who knows what was standard and what was an option on a used car ? I'd never use Admiral to be honest , better companies about for not a lot more

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1646309&i=200

There seems to be a misconception here about declaring modifications, just remember that ignorance isn't an excuse. It is our responsibility to know what we are driving, this is more difficult with modified cars due to possibly having to check the whole car for anything that looks non OEM, but for non modified cars it's very easy to get a list of all optional extra's from any main dealer of that marque.

I've insured with the Admiral Group a number of times, very easy to work with, very easy to declare mods with, but of course they're not covered on a like for like basis, but you'll be legal. I've also had a claim many moons ago with Elephant which was completely painless. The car was insured for £1500 and the repair was £1250 and they never even mentioned writing it off thankfully.

Nice one, ta.

It all comes down to reasonableness. Is it reasonable to know what are options on a new car? Yes, of course. On a ten year old one, and especially if you're not a car nut? Doubtful. Same with mods: Doris the pensioner might not be expected to know if those wheels aren't stock, but an active member of a car club certainly would be.

When I was toying with quotes, it was actually cheaper to say I parked it on the driveway than the garage,

Because it then affects your Home insurance. Especially if like mine the garage is ajoined with a pass through door. The lady said you'd be shocked the amount of people who lock their garages, but not the pass through door. Which, have to admit im guilty of sometimes

I do think insurance is out of control though. This vicious circle of, high insurance costs from illegal drivers, false whiplash claims, fronting etc just following each other round in circles. Which cane first, chicken or the egg?

They ask questions for a reason, lying or being economical with the truth to get a cheaper quote may seem like a good idea in the short run but its crazy. If anything happened, especially if its serious, they will go through the policy with a fine tooth comb to avoid paying out and they are rightly justified in doing so. If you purposefully distort the truth and get bitten tbh you deserve it.

I've just done my renewal. Shot up from £423 to £555, but then i knew once in a blue moon i travel to work in the zed so i needed to add commuting to the policy. I also plan a couple of europe road trips so i upped the annual mileage from 8k to 12k. I also ensured the policy allowed me more than 30 days driving in Europe. Could i have conveniently missed this off the policy and saved some money, yes. Did I, hell no i'm not taking the risk. If something goes wrong they pay out not me. I also then bargained them back down and got a quote i was happy with. In the meantime i can sit back and relax knowing i am fully covered.

• Like 1

And if you told them you parked the car on the street you`d probably find the quote would be even cheaper. When I queried this with one company, as to why they would charge me less for leaving my car on the street, rather than in a locked secure brick garage, with a rottweiler wandering about, with 3 cars blocking the garage door, all behind secure steel gates, they simply said that if the cars on the street then people are more likely to see/disturb a car thief. If the cars in a garage, then once the thief is inside he can spend as long as he wants damaging/hotwiring the car. To my mind, surely "out of sight, out of mind" should come in here. If the cars in a garage then any passing thief wont even know its there and just move on to someone elses car which they have left on their drive. But, thats not how insurance companies work.

Edited by rabbitstew

And if you told them you parked the car on the street you`d probably find the quote would be even cheaper. When I queried this with one company, as to why they would charge me less for leaving my car on the street, rather than in a locked secure brick garage, with a rottweiler wandering about, with 3 cars blocking the garage door, all behind secure steel gates, they simply said that if the cars on the street then people are more likely to see/disturb a car thief. If the cars in a garage, then once the thief is inside he can spend as long as he wants damaging/hotwiring the car. To my mind, surely "out of sight, out of mind" should come in here. If the cars in a garage then any passing thief wont even know its there and just move on to someone elses car which they have left on their drive. But, thats not how insurance companies work.

Agree thats what i was told too. Also many accidents happen while getting the car into / out of the garage so garage quotes often end up higher

Any thief worth their salt I imagine doesn't chance a theft i.e. spot a nice car on a drive, I would think it involves some level of planning to ensure they have the tools for the job. Walking up and down the road and seeing the car going in and out of a garage/garage door open on weekends etc. is all part of it. As above, once in they have the run the of the place to go find car keys, do what they need to do in the car/vandalise it and walk off and no one is any wiser.