Potential Purchase

m4nn13

Hi everyone.

I'm going to have a look at a Z at the weekend. I've had a good read through the buyer guides etc that are on here (which by the way are great for first time buyers like me) just thought i'd see if anyone would advise anything on this spec:

* £6250

* 35,906 miles

* 4 Owners to date

* New Clutch

* Aluminium Splash Shield

* Racing Rear W Crossmember (whatever that is!).

* Stainless steel exhaust up to cats

* 18" Rays

* Recently carbon cleaned engine

* Immaculate interior

* MOT Due 23/11/2017

* Part Service History

Comes With (sounds like the GT spec):

Electric windows, Air conditioning, MP3 player, CD player, Leather trim, Heated seats, Height adjustable driver's seat, Sports seats, 18" Alloy Wheels, Power steering, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Traction control, Central locking, Alarm, Immobiliser, Driver's airbags, Passenger airbags

Having spoken to the owner a few times by email he has also advised:

* Slight bubbling on rear arch

* Born Japan 2003 & Imported 2005

* No service history for time in japan

* Sellers words - "V5 that say at the bottom sva/iva cert issued 11/10/2005 also i have had the colour changed on the v5".

Sounds like a good deal to me, not sure if the price could be knocked down a tad. Anyone with any advice would be a great help!

Pictures attached:

post-28260-0-81792700-1480596765_thumb.jpg

post-28260-0-64808300-1480596769_thumb.jpg

post-28260-0-70195300-1480596777_thumb.jpg

post-28260-0-27285800-1480596784_thumb.jpg

Hi docwra, I've emailed to ask about the brakes, from what I can see on the image the callipers are red but they could just be painted I guess. I was looking for low mileage as I plan to keep this for a VERY long time but I would be happy to go up to 50k max. With regards to the low mileage he hasn't said why its so low, I would assume that it's just been well looked after rather than driven as a daily. He has said he's not in a rush to sell, he just doesn't have time to drive it so wants it to go to a good home where it will be used.

Would argue its been well looked after judging by the rust above the front wheel arch. Looks like they haven't cleaned around the wheel arch liner and the rust has bubbled up from crud building up. I would look at more than one car to compare if I were you. Buy with your head not your heart.

Edited by Payco

Just because it doesn't have steering wheel controls doesn't mean it is base spec.

Mines an import, but got imported to a Nissan dealer in London from new, doesn't have cruise control or stereo controls on the wheel, but it has everything else. Heated leather, brembos etc.

Edited by Rob332

It's a wrap - the base/stock colour is silver.

Thanks for the advice - from the rest of the pics (body/interior/enginebay) it loks very clean, will see it in person to make a final decision on that however.

This is only the 2nd one i've been to look at so there will probably be more before I decide, seems a lot of the ones for sale however talk about rusty arches though so as it's only on one arch I could possibly get that sorted for not much dosh. But your right will definitely use my head, see if there's any more rusty problems lurking anywhere!

Zeds born in Japan have multiple specs, unlike in the UK which just had two (GT and Non-GT) so likely it could be kitted with part of the GT spec and not the BOSE/Cruise. You will need to check off your GT spec list against what it actually has.

Just a word of caution RE: the rusty rear wheel arch. I have copied & pasted my reply from another thread on the same subject...

When I had my Zed it had a few small bubbles on the drivers side rear arch so I took it to a local body shop.

They quoted me for some other spray jobs at the same time (respray front bumper & roof) but I believe it worked out around £250-300 for the rear quarter (repair & blend in with side/rear bumper).

I had the work done and it looked great for all of about 2 weeks before bubbles started reappearing, ...understandably pi**ed off I went back and complained. They redid the work this time taking pictures along the way showing me everything that they did. On their second attempt at fixing it they cut out a fairly large triangle shape piece of metal, welded in a replacement piece of new metal, filled, smoothed, primed, base coat & lacquered.

That's how it should have been done in the first place I thought. It only lasted for about 6 months though before the rust bubbles started coming back again!! :rant:

In the end I left it as the bubbles were very minor & with selling the car on the horizon at the time I didn't fancy plowing any more money into it.

Not much help I know Adam but just more of a cautionary tale. If you are going to try & get it fixed I'd consider getting a proper pair of new rear quarters otherwise you may end up paying more money every 6 months or so just to repair the same problem again & again. :thumbdown:

Source: http://www.350z-uk.c...-advice-needed/

I'm just warning you m4nn13 as what looks like an easy, fairly cheap fix might not be so straight forward. I have heard of other members buying a new rear quarter to fix the problem which obviously is very expensive to sort.

Good luck with your Zed hunt, plenty to choose from so just take your time. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Mines an import, but got imported to a Nissan dealer in London from new, doesn't have cruise control or stereo controls on the wheel, but it has everything else. Heated leather, brembos etc.

If thats yours in your avatar you dont have the Rays wheels though. Mine was an import and had full GT Spec apart from cruise control, "well specced import" probably covers it best " :lol:

• Like 1

I wouldn't pay 6k for anything with rust on it.

Mines in much better condition, immaculate in fact, FSH, 80k miles, and I'm asking £6k ono

No weekend mechanic mods, not a spec of rust.

But it's a not a coupe, it's a UK GT Roadster.

Edited by Juggalo

If thats yours in your avatar you dont have the Rays wheels though. Mine was an import and had full GT Spec apart from cruise control, "well specced import" probably covers it best " :lol:

But he never said he had Ray's, unless I misread somewhere and Ray's weren't part of the GT pack, they were an optional extra until about 2006.

• Like 1

Cheers for the advice GMballistic - maybe I should pop to the scrapyard and have a hunt round for spares just in case! :lol:

You're welcome. :thumbs:

Oh and hopefully when you do get one don't waste your time at scrap yards if you do need parts as there are a few excellent traders on here that can supply you pretty much any used spare part you could ever possibly need at great prices. Lots more traders on here who do new OEM parts and aftermarket upgrades too. ;)

For that money I wouldn't even go and look at it. Rust on these cars is a bitch when it sets in - you can guarantee the other 3 arches won't be far behind either. Not like on the rears you can easily swap a panel out either.

I would also question why the clutch has been changed at such low mileage - lots of dumping perhaps?

• Like 1