Rust woes - advice needed

Neoncypher

Hi all,

I had some rust bubbles on 3 arches last year so I took it to a local bodyshop who did what he could, warning that it'd more than likely come back - which it has, on all four arches this time :(

I spent a fair bit for what was essentially an 8 month fix, so I'm planning on a longer term solution.

For the front, I'm thinking of going for FRP front wings so I don't ever have to worry about rust there again. ( I did consider CF but I have the rear arches to fix too = £££), so if anyone has any suggestions for FRP front wing choices or where would be best to acquire them I would be very grateful.

The rear arches are more of a pain as I'm sure most folk here know - As far as I'm aware, I would need to have the offending areas cut out and replaced (potentially problematic as one of the rust bubbles is just under the fuel cap area where it meets the rear bumper - also having read some stories on here, I know that can also be a non-permanent fix as the rust usually comes back due to the double skin and water sneaking around in there) OR, have the whole rear quarter panels cut out and new ones welding back in = £££. Has anyone here had this done who could comment on how much it cost them? I really don't want to lose her to the rot :'(

Finally - any suggestions for a reputable body shop in the North East or North who could do this kind of work and not mess it up?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Sorry, no help or advice, but commenting so I can follow the thread.

I did the same as you last year on my nearside rear arch - Had work completed on the understanding that rust may reappear at a later date. I didn't think that a 'later date' would happen so soon. I now have rust spots on both rear arches :(

I think it'll be a case of sourcing a decent rear quarter panel(s) and cutting out the necessary (and hoping the rust hasn't already started on the donor arch).

Hi Adam,

I have been speaking to my local paintshop as my new Zed needs the rear arches sorted,got bubbles on both since I bought it ,last August, and they quoted me £220+vat/each side to spray the whole panel.

they did a cracking job with my previous M3 and I know they will do it right this time aswell so I do trust them.

when you start cutting etc. it will be more expensive or course..I would guess around 1k for the whole job?! ,but if I were you I will probably get for the front some panels rust free from Zmanalex as you can change them yourself and for rear if needs some welding and cutting try and get a well known garage who has done this before or treat all 4 sides of the car and then wrap it!

When I had my Zed it had a few small bubbles on the drivers side rear arch so I took it to a local body shop.

They quoted me for some other spray jobs at the same time (respray front bumper & roof) but I believe it worked out around £250-300 for the rear quarter (repair & blend in with side/rear bumper).

I had the work done and it looked great for all of about 2 weeks before bubbles started reappearing, ...understandably pi**ed off I went back and complained. They redid the work this time taking pictures along the way showing me everything that they did. On their second attempt at fixing it they cut out a fairly large triangle shape piece of metal, welded in a replacement piece of new metal, filled, smoothed, primed, base coat & lacquered.

That's how it should have been done in the first place I thought. It only lasted for about 6 months though before the rust bubbles started coming back again!! :rant:

In the end I left it as the bubbles were very minor & with selling the car on the horizon at the time I didn't fancy plowing any more money into it.

Not much help I know Adam but just more of a cautionary tale. If you are going to try & get it fixed I'd consider getting a proper pair of new rear quarters otherwise you may end up paying more money every 6 months or so just to repair the same problem again & again. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

That's really strange buddy, you would have surely thought by cutting a section out and re plating in would have lasted the time. Do you think they did the prep work correct before finishing ? :wacko:

The pictures I was shown of the work being done seemed to show everything being done, AFAIK, correctly.

The only thing that I could think of at the time is that maybe their spraying equipment had water in the lines or something?? (no water trap or faulty/old water trap??) Possibly causing some water to be sprayed on the bare metal during the priming coat or base coat. :shrug: Really I am just guessing though.

It could even be that on the nice new piece of metal photographed that they installed it was rusty all over the back & I just couldn't see that in their pictures.

Wasn't very happy about it at all especially after I was left without my car for several weeks overall during two occasions. The owner even gave me his own personal Porsche Boxster S as a courtesy car after the first job went wrong as an apology but tbh I didn't think it was as good as my Zed after driving it for a week although the MILFs locally loved it. :lol:

Link (post n#89): http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91628-gmballistics-zed-supercharged-2003-gun-metal-gt-coupe-vids-added/page__st__80

:thumbs:

Thanks for the replies guys,

I guess the thing with welding in a new section is that the water could very easily be elsewhere between the double skin of the panel, and maybe has not caused rust yet - until a few months down the line when it manifests. That's why I was leaning more towards going down the route of two new rear quarter panels rather than having the smaller sections cut out and welded, just to be as sure as I can that it won't come back anytime soon. But yeah, big £££

The fronts I'm still thinking about FRP over the standard metal just, again, I don't have to worry about it coming back in the future. Can anyone recommend any decent FRP front wings?

On top of all of this I'm thinking about the cost and whether it's financially viable compared to what the car is worth and its age/mileage etc. It's an 03 with a little over 100k on it - A part of me thinks why not just sell it, get another Z lower mileage and younger without any of these problems and just mod it back up to the level it is now. But then i'm torn because I've put a lot of time and money into this one... :shrug: Cars man, what a stress on.