The GTM Supercharged Silver Pheonix

andy james

Good stuff Andy. Really interesting to see your set-up plans.

Is the diff at the factory setting or did you go for something else? How did you find it on lift-off - any effect on steering?

Diff fitted as it came out of the box. To be honest the car on track is totally transformed on the gas and during lift off and power sliding is so controlled.

Also I hate to say if you run your car as a daily and have no intention of tracking it then don't fit this thing as the clunking,twanging spring noises,wheel hopping and Land Rover Style wining sounds will drive you nuts!

I personally love it!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Gurston Down tomorrow for practice and race day Sunday which is a round of the British Hillclimb championship.Kinda thought it's best to go back to the scene of the crime on her first competitive outing this season as it's my local event.

I know they look tiny with the body kit but the Rays shod with the R888R tyres are so light and transform the handling of the car.

If you fancy a day out near Salisbury on Sunday which covers all cars from a Clio to the Gould GR61X 3500cc single seater of Current champion Scott Moran pop along as it's only a tenner to get in with cracking hospitality.

http://www.gurstondown.org/

c1e0c6fd11082f751b4b1eacd968e3d7_zps93vejhvy.jpg

9c42e522cf9f50e069a535d933ad0415_zpsrts3lp3c.jpg

Back home in one piece!

Bloody storm last night meant the first runs this morning were on a soaking wet track!

Well you can imagine the state I was in when the light went green! After wheelspining in the first three gears on launch and heading up the track that feeling of "what are you doing you chimp?" washed over me. Thankfully I managed to pass the point where I crashed 18 months ago and crossed the finish line in one piece which as the old saying goes " I got back on th horse".

On runs 2 and three the track dried out and I got within 2 seconds of my best time without pushing too hard. I have to say the diff powers the car out of the corners and gives me a new level of grip I've not had before.There is a lot more come if I have the balls!

If the weather holds tomorrow the Datsun an me will give it our best shot.

A couple of pictures of the paddock which has a very impressive selection of single seaters.

Just to put things into perspective I cross the Finnish line flat out at 100mph which on 8ft wide tarmac is scary but these top level guys are going through at 150!!

4fa19ed2d15acbd3a67d355c1ed6448f_zpsjhefefaq.jpg

ef2004021e5fa2cbee3045b096b84cd2_zpstzhraqnc.jpg

e7e3983a81c466f3a04303df6341ac07_zpsoowrcfsc.jpg

• Like 1

The final part of my preparation for the coming season was tyres for the newly refurbished Rays.

After consulting Ekona our very own tyre expert and Jetpilot who has tried and tested a couple of track focused tyres on his VXR I came up with a shortlist of rubber.

1. Nangkang AR1-1

2. Toyo R888R

3. Pilot sport cup 2

Going to give these a go.

384092b1deef6d6b743cdf6e082d76d6_zpsanqikup8.jpg

Need to book a track day over the next couple of weeks for a shake down.

Matty Evans who runs rsv is racing his bmw on nankangs and suplies them aswell as he's sponsored by them

I know the ar1s were performing a lot better than the Dunlop derezzas at silverstone the other day

Give him a shout next time you need a set :)

• Like 1

Good and bad today.

Drove up in the sunshine early doors knowing that the forecast was for heavy rain to arrive around 1-2pm.

Final practice run was quicker than yesterday and into the 39s so the confidence is still building.

It's now time for the first qualifying runs to start and as the rain is on its way the word in the paddock is it will be all over after this!

Just before I got in the car it was nice to see/chat to mattross 1313 and his better half who had come along to watch the event.

On the start line my guts were going round like a washing machine as this run is it!! Launched off the line perfect,snatched second,powering down the hill and changed into fifth! Well I bogged down, went through the motions and arrived in top paddock with a 42 second run on the score sheet before the rain! I've mucked this up.

Lunch break comes and goes,it's 1.45 the clouds are going black,my lovely wife Katrina calls me from home 40 miles away to inform me it's pissing down at home how you doing?....

I get on the start line for my final run and spots are appearing on the windscreen.

Good 38 sec run,missed out on a class win by just over a second.

Thinking the Datsun is capable of much more so the driver is looking forward to CAT school.

Just a few pics from today.

This is not a the latest car wash!

188e8915381facd360fc2be2f649a056_zpsziwfkysv.jpg

Andy and Tims factory Aston GT4 car is just stunning.

496d1f041eafff6443dddd2a6b079443_zpsviz7r2fq.jpg

Thinking this is the best rear wing/diffuser I've ever seen!

28d19ef57070457ea74467e257b875bb_zpsizwxfrtl.jpg

Fingers crossed for the Shelsley Walsh entry.

• Like 4

They are mate but only in certain championships run by individual clubs like the all circuits Sprint championships organised by the Tunbride wells MC which put all 4 wheel drive cars in their own classes.

Unfortunately the larger national events like the British Hillclimb championship and the HSA are run by the BARC and are governed by the MSA so Class A4 (road going cars over 2000cc) is my only option.

I used to do a few sprints / hillclimbs - they're great fun. I ran in the over 2000cc mod production saloon class with my 200SX - my quickest was a 39.3 which was enough to win the class back in 2003.

I used to really like the Abingdon carnival as they ran 2 courses simultaneously, so not much hanging around.

Edited by Jez @ H-Dev
  • Like 1

Andy, good to catch up with you over the weekend. Car looked great! Being my first hill time at a hill climb I spent a lot of the day soaking in the sights and sounds! I managed to get a few quick shots of the pheonix from the day - not my best work, but just to add to your thread :) Hopefully see you at another one soon. Do you do much at Clay Pigeon? I've been meaning to get along there for some time now as thats close to me.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

• Like 1

Andy, good to catch up with you over the weekend. Car looked great! Being my first hill time at a hill climb I spent a lot of the day soaking in the sights and sounds! I managed to get a few quick shots of the pheonix from the day - not my best work, but just to add to your thread :) Hopefully see you at another one soon. Do you do much at Clay Pigeon? I've been meaning to get along there for some time now as thats close to me.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

Thanks Matt for the great shots. Yes I've taken the Z around Clay Pigeon many times. It's such a laugh blasting a car around a go cart circuit in second gear!

Great stuff Andy and glad it all went okay bar the weather. :thumbs:

Any video?

Cheers mate. Yes I have a video of my final run so I will get it off the camera and post it tonight.

Sorry GM but for some reason my dash camera video footage recorded in mute and then overlapped and added the sound from a previous video of me and Buster blasting around Silverstone at Japfest! Lol.

For those that have not seen how tight the track is at Gurston Down,this is a video of a slightly faster run from 2015!

• Like 4

Really enjoyed JDM yesterday with three track sessions with all the usual suspects!

Well the old sticking BOV problem came back on my way home!

There are many souls on here that have witnessed and have helped me with this affliction.

Basically I've been struggling with the Turbosmart BOV which when it sticks open I get no boost!

0515e86097dbea62c4114dc337cc3d40_zpszhqbzbvj.jpg

I'm on the second one now and after reading on the Evo forums who suggest you sand down and polish the brass piston,which I have done,the bloody thing still sticks! Took it apart today and rubbed the brass monkey to death and Woosh! We have boost again.

Not sure what's going on here but I'm thinking of try another brand as the lack of reliability Is driving me nuts.

So some good news. Got confirmation of entry to Shelsley Walsh this coming Sunday for the Reg Phillips Trophy and a round of the HSA championship so if anyone is at a loose end it would be great to have a bacon roll and a catch up.

Granville I promise to sort out the dash cam!

• Like 1