Smart Stuff, Internet of Things, Home Automation

Stutopia

I recently picked up some "smart" bulbs and I quite like them. The novelty of being able to assign the three lamps all different colours and define "scenes" is kind of fun.

Lights_zps5cfts8dx.png

There's the fairly useful timers to wake me up in the morning with a gentle, warm glow. Them switching themselves off automatically when I leave the house and back on when I come home - as a geek, I think it's really cool.

I love the Siri integration too

:lol:

Has anyone else dabbled in the smart fad and got any internet of things things in the house? And, crucially, are they any good?

• Like 2

Problem for this kind of thing is technological obsolescence.

I've got 3 generations of Philips hue lights each generation requires a different control method. How long does a fridge/cooker usually last v's how long is a communication technology supported for these days. You'll be looking at needing to replace all your household goods every 5 years or so to keep everything talking to each other.

Look what happened to all the Nest customers in America, they brought into the smart home dream and automated their homes only for google to buy Nest and shut down the service with zero notice. All customers got was a single email.

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 2

Yeah, the new techs always have irritatingly opposed and conflicting standards, which ironically hits early adopters hardest, even though they've helped push it on.

I wonder if there's standardisation in the pipeline?

I want to know how much of this tech has anti-virus software or is, at least, using a hardened OS and a Firewall?

Multi-function Printer / Fax / Scanner gets a virus and all of a sudden everything it processes is getting copied to somebody else.

IP Telephone gets a virus and your 'encrypted' calls are being streamed somewhere else. Same for your voice-activated TV or Games console too, only they're always on and in your living room.

Connected fridge, cooker, security system, car, smart phone, lights, etc... they're all potential routes of attack.

I'm an IT person so I loves me a bit of tech just like you, but unless you're securing it, it's a risk...

Set passwords (or better, pass phrases) that are d1fF!CuLLLT to to guess on everything. Try not to use the same password for everything. Get a Firewall that does transparent AV scanning and filtering. Understand how all your tech really works and setup Firewall rules accordingly... and so on.

Scary times!

• Like 1

Totally agree, the potential risk is huge as more devices join the party, you don't have to be a big Mr Robot fan to realise there's opportunity for exploitation. For the time being I'm limiting my exposure to three LED bulbs and the risk of Chinese hacker invoked disco attack! But it won't be long before there's "my automated house was hacked by next door's teenager!" stories.

It's a shame firewall rules are so tedious to implement.

"Thanks babe!"

:lol: :lol:

Glad it's not only me that does proper chatting with her :D

:lol:

I wondered who'd notice! She never answers back :(

I've be toying with the foreign Siris on my iMac, I think Australian or South African are the sexiest sounding.

My father in-law has built a few sensors and actuators using arduino boards to monitor for burst pipes, check the level in his "grey water" tank, and to water his plants. He then hooked these all up to a web server so he can check them whilst on his next cruise...... I've had a little poke around and there's no security whatsoever... some spotty Russian hacker is going to totally ruin this years butternut squash harvest!

I've got a nest thermostat and it's excellent. It takes a little while to learn your habits/preferences, but then does a pretty damn good personalised heating schedule, turns off when you're not in the house and you can remotely change the temp - great when you're coming back from holiday or similar.

This is surely just another step towards Skynet *tinfoil hat on*.

I nearly changed mine to the Aussie one, but she sounds a little too slutty. I like my women to at have a pretence at some class.

Lol

Edited by BobbyZ

I'm having loads of problems with Apples Hime app.

I have Hues around my house and all set to come on at certain times and when I arrive home. Since I have gone over to using the Home app exclusively it has hardly worked at all. The Phillips app is garbage too.

Also waiting on home kit enabled light switches and sockets. Why these weren't the 1st products to come out i will never know. I have an outside light I want to control but a hue bulb won't fit

I haven't really got to grips with the Home app yet, I still use the Hue one for now. Even with the Hue app, they tried to push me onto the newer version 2 (the one with the multicoloured HUE text below) but I didn't like it and went back to the one with the HUE text in white. It's just right for the job IMO, nor sure what else I want lights to do that it doesn't cover.

IMG_2012_zpsajxquzxe.jpeg

I'm doing a IOT course with Future Learning starting in Nov,

Thanks for joining us on The Internet of Things.The course will start on Monday 7 November. In the meantime,

you can get to know other learners and prepare for the course in the Welcome Area.

I'm having loads of problems with Apples Hime app.

I have Hues around my house and all set to come on at certain times and when I arrive home. Since I have gone over to using the Home app exclusively it has hardly worked at all. The Phillips app is garbage too.

Also waiting on home kit enabled light switches and sockets. Why these weren't the 1st products to come out i will never know. I have an outside light I want to control but a hue bulb won't fit

I had a play with the Home app after reading your post. At first I couldn't get to grips with it, I know everything is supposed to be intuitive these days but occasionally I wouldn't mind some instructions :lol:

However, once I got my Apple TV set up as the automation hub, it all started to make sense and now I've binned off the Philips Hue apps altogether :yahoo:

Thanks for nudge to use the Home app :thumbs:

http://www.imore.com/how-make-your-apple-tv-or-ipad-home-hub

I want to know how much of this tech has anti-virus software or is, at least, using a hardened OS and a Firewall?

Multi-function Printer / Fax / Scanner gets a virus and all of a sudden everything it processes is getting copied to somebody else.

IP Telephone gets a virus and your 'encrypted' calls are being streamed somewhere else. Same for your voice-activated TV or Games console too, only they're always on and in your living room.

Connected fridge, cooker, security system, car, smart phone, lights, etc... they're all potential routes of attack.

I'm an IT person so I loves me a bit of tech just like you, but unless you're securing it, it's a risk...

Set passwords (or better, pass phrases) that are d1fF!CuLLLT to to guess on everything. Try not to use the same password for everything. Get a Firewall that does transparent AV scanning and filtering. Understand how all your tech really works and setup Firewall rules accordingly... and so on.

Scary times!

But for the OP is he really worried if someone hacks his lights and starts randomly assigning colours? :lol: Or perhaps doing the sequence out of Close Encounters?

• Like 2