tyres on a budget

snoged

• 2 weeks later...

Found this quite an interesting debate, so out of curiosity asked Kumho what brands of tyres they actually make, response:

"Hi Colin,

Thanks for the message!

The 3 tyre brands in our range are Kumho (premium), Marshal (mid-range) and Zetum (budget). We do not make any other brands.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Digital Team

Kumho Tyre UK "

Someone in the HSV club has had Kumho KU39's split twice , apparently they have a manufacturing fault according to their technical dept , wouldnt fill me with confidence, i stand by my previous statement , budget tyres for budget cars not performance cars

14445084_1290489160975164_7842671519470093741_o_zpsvyne9btd.jpg

This is a bit deja Vu for me, going back a few years i think most will recall the thread, it even went towards my inital ban.

But i was someone who ran maxxis toyo falken nexen etc on all my cars up till the 350z this includes a mr2, 200sx s14 and a number of 'momentum car' civics.

and i always thought they handled fantastic and you didn't need eagle f1 or mpss etc. They were over-hyped bollocks,

Now that super tasty humble pie.

i got bullied (persuaded) by Dan aka Ekona to try a set of Pilot Super sports and i did skeptically and i called dan all the names under the sun for the first 100-200 miles as they felt awful, But.... indeed after wearing i have never driven on a tyre with some much grip giving so much feedback giving the confidence to stick it in hard, Which proved it self at japfest rockingham last year were me and another member who both of us i feel are very capable on track enter a corner at the same speed i stayed on the track with my Michelin's and he went off with his Hankooks. And to top it off i did a handful of track sessions and a number of drift days on the front and they just didnt wear out.

Budget tyres are not in the same league as branded high performance tyres. if you think the budget stuff from acellera Event Marshall roadstone whatever are good you really really need to try a good set.

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

I'm a huge fan of the MPSS and they do transform the car but if I had to use my car all year round I wouldn't have them , the way the grip drops off below 10 degrees is very off putting not that you can get 470hp down easily at the best of times but even shifting at light throttle will lose grip on mine

I'd probably got for Eagle F1's they have long been my all year round tyre of choice

We run F1s on our Impreza, and I really don't like them at all when things get slippery. Even with the 4WD, I find a distinct lack of grip but more importantly feel. In the dry they're fine, but in terms of feedback I'm really not impressed. The RE070s the Scoob is supposed to run with were much more communicative, even at the expense of wet grip.

I've never found the MPSS to drop off significantly at low temps. How old/worn are yours?

We run F1s on our Impreza, and I really don't like them at all when things get slippery. Even with the 4WD, I find a distinct lack of grip but more importantly feel. In the dry they're fine, but in terms of feedback I'm really not impressed. The RE070s the Scoob is supposed to run with were much more communicative, even at the expense of wet grip.

I've never found the MPSS to drop off significantly at low temps. How old/worn are yours?

I had Eagle F1's on my Evo 6 and they were awesome but the design has altered a few times in the last few years

Mine have done about 4000 miles or so now , they were bad earlier this year (I kept the wheels from my old car and put them on this one) the day the Supra crashed in front of me on the way to Silverstone it was wet, cold and around freezing , every gear change caused slip even barely touching the gas, will try dropping the pressure down a bit this year

On my old car with bolts on it would step out on a regular basis on cold days

... keep schtum ...

It's shtum not schtum.

Although it's true there are various spellings it's an English colloquialism and not derived from Yiddish as you might think.

And yet the Oxford and other dictionaries differ in opinions here, and about what you might think was quite a simple issue of spelling.

That relates to this thread rather well I thought.

Yeah, not needing any tyres at the moment that's what I've taken from this thread. I've the attention span of a mayfly. :teeth:

Edited by Toon Chris

I had Eagle F1's on my Evo 6 and they were awesome but the design has altered a few times in the last few years

People often cast judgement on "Eagle F1's" without stating which variation they are referring to. As Rich points out, they are on their 3rd model currently "Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3".

I'm running them all around on the Zed, I highly rate them. As do alot of others if this is anything to go by:

http://www.tyrerevie...symmetric-3.htm

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 1

... keep schtum ...

It's shtum not schtum.

Although it's true there are various spellings it's an English colloquialism and not derived from Yiddish as you might think.

And yet the Oxford and other dictionaries differ in opinions here, and about what you might think was quite a simple issue of spelling.

That relates to this thread rather well I thought.

Yeah, not needing any tyres at the moment that's what I've taken from this thread. I've the attention span of a mayfly. :teeth:

31 days is quite a long time :teeth:

People often cast judgement on "Eagle F1's" without stating which variation they are referring to. As Rich points out, they are on their 3rd model currently "Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3".

I'm running them all around on the Zed, I highly rate them. As do alot of others if this is anything to go by:

http://www.tyrerevie...symmetric-3.htm

This is very true, and it's a pet hate of mine which I should've picked up on :(

I'm on the same tyres as you. I decided to have a bit of a play with tyre pressures on the cars today after washing them, and it seems that the F1s get better if you massively drop the pressures. I'm now running 5psi (!) below standard on the Impreza, and feel seems significantly improved. Admittedly it's a lovely dry day which plays to the strengths of the Goodyears, but even so it's surprising. I'll have to keep an eye on the sidewall wear though.

Also, that tyrereview site is a load of bobbins. Most people will always praise stuff they've paid money for, and 99% of them on there have no idea what they're talking about.

Since we're on the subject, I'm a Michelin Pilot Super Sport proponent, unbelievable tire, had them on my 400hp 4wd e92 beamer but they are seriously expensive.

On the subject of budget/midrange, I was once convinced to buy a set of Barum tires for my old EP3 Type R, on the premise that Barum is an arm of Continental working out of the Czech republic and the rubber is to Continental's formula. I thought why not, I'd give them a try... They were amazing in every way, quiet, smooth, grippy as hell. The compromise...wet performance wasn't all that and they didn't last very long (quite soft), but apart from that, they shocked me. I'm giving Barum Bravuris a solid recommendation, especially if you're like me and do so few miles that the tires need changing due to age before tread depth. ;)

I'm equipping a set of Rays 18" stockers this week with some midrange tire, thinking of the Ecstas to be honest.

*tyre

;)

Made me chuckle. There is a thread from another forum somewhere with a big debate about the spelling of tyre and some American was abusing the Brits for destroying the English language by changing the words. A fellow American soon highlighted the fact that its the English language and it was them (the Americans) that made up their own spellings.

Ill have to try and find it as its quite comical.

• Like 1

*tyre

;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm British, I learned to spell it as you do, however, I've been retrained by the yanks due to being highly active on the internet in the hobby of radio controlled cars, writing product reviews and moderating for the two largest sites relating to the hobby for a truly surprising number of years. To tell you the truth, I study language in a very amateur way, I'm truly heartbroken by the slow death good language skills are suffering at the hands of the internet. I'm also a fluent Greek speaker, not that I suppose that means much in this context, it does provide a bit of insight into the origins of lots of words. Anyway, tl;dr: I actually prefer tire to tyre. Now that I am used to both, the american use just seems more sensible to me. Please don't misunderstand, I think that they mostly bastardised (note S not Z) our language, just not in that particular instance. :)

Anyway, I won't criticise, you'll see me playing grammar police now and then, I just can't help myself. The two that I cannot let go, are incorrect use of apostrophes with words terminating in S, and people saying and typing 'could of' or 'would of' instead of 'could have', would have'. Mostly I'm easy going, but those two really get me.

Edited by Aashenfox

...I actually prefer tire to tyre. Now that I am used to both, the american use just seems more sensible to me. Please don't misunderstand, I think that they mostly bastardised (note S not Z) our language, just not in that particular instance. :)

Yes but in good old British English, "Tire" means to feel sleepy or in need of sleep or to have lost interest in something whereas "Tyre" is a rubber object surrounding a wheel (alloy or steel) which vehicles run upon.

As this is a UK site we prefer the correct spelling whenever possible. :p:lol: No offence intended. :D;)

• Like 2