Wrong item sent. Who pays postage?

gumpy000

I need an answer.

So I have ordered an item from a company. All messages between us was about this one item.

They then send me the wrong item.

I tell them. They send out right item.

I ask them to send out a prepaid address label so I can send the wrong item back and they refuse.

This would cost me another £10 to send back. I don't think I should have to pay for their mistake.

Who should pay?

They sent the wrong item. Not me.

Help people?

Edited by gumpy000

They do. Or to put it another way, they have to arrange for the item to be collected and delivered back to them: How they achieve that is up to them.

If it's an item of worth then £10 is nothing, if it's cheapy then most would write it off.

• Like 1

Most companies have their own 'returns policies', when you completed to the transaction it was implied that you agreed to this in law, unless the policy is 'unreasonable'. See what their policy is. I would personally just sit on the unreturned item if you can store it. If they are that assed about it they will arrange its return. :lol:

• Like 1

If they posted the wrong item, then there is no doubt that they should pay the postage. If I made a mistake and asked for the wrong item, then I think it is fair to pay the postage myself.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack your thread- but that's what I'm about to do lol

I had the same problem, ordered a pair of calipers and they sent out some that didn't fit the car. They double checked my order against my reg plate and still got it wrong

I returned them and got a full refund

I paid for postage myself- can I still raise this and claim postage back? It's been around 2 months

• Like 1

I think I looked into this previously and if you've been sent an item in error, as long as you notify them, they have a certain time period in which to collect it. Same thing happened to me when Vodafone sent me two galaxy s2's, I told them about it and they told me to go post it which I'm under no legal obligation to do. I told them the address it's at and they can collect any time they like, they never did and I ended up with a free s2 that paid for the contract.

• Like 1

Well I have looked at the terms they sent me and no where does it say if they send out the wrong item that it is up to me to pay for their mistake.

I then feel it is unreasonable to spend my money on their mistake. And not being funny if they are being this petty over just £10 then there you go. Would have been much more simple just to send out a prepaid paid.

If I had done this in my company we wouldnt have much custom.

Edited by gumpy000

I ordered a 370z spare wheel from Nissan on eBay and they sent me an extra wheel, I think for a qashqai. I stupidly told them about their mistake so they asked me to post it back and they'd reimburse me. I said no, and that they can come and collect it. Apparently they are unable to collect it from the address, despite delivering to it a few days ago. They then suggested I drop it off at the local Nissan garage, which I refuse to do since there's no way I'm getting any compensation for my trouble. Told them to either collect it, pay my expenses (only £5) in advance or it'll go in the bin. Anyone need a qashqai spare?

reading your 1st post - I "think" you say you have the correct item as well (although that is not clear in your post)

so - you have the correct item - do as others have said - tell them to come and collect it - not your problem

so - you do not have the correct item - bugger - that's awkward, but the law is still on your side

I do have the right item.

I told them as soon as I received wrong item. They then sent out right item.

So yes I know have the right one and the wrong one. So guess il just wait for the pre paid. If I don't have one by a month, il keep the wrong one till I may need it. Haha

Edited by gumpy000

so - you do not have the correct item - bugger - that's awkward, but the law is still on your side

He's paid for X, if they haven't delivered X then they haven't completed their side of the deal regardless of any arguments around their mistake of accidentally delivering Y instead. It would be the same situation as ordering something and never receiving it, either they send you the item you've paid for or you try and get your cash back directly or via CC company/paypal etc.

So you all know as this has been a total ball ache and i HATE being accused of doing something i havent. They have now said i clearly have no understanding of consumer Acts and that it is all my fault! Yet if they read back to all my emails NOT once do I mention the other item.

They have now sent out a courier to collect the item. My, was that hard work for them to get back their correct item. I wish i had not told them i had both now. I think they are thieving B*****DS.

If anyone wants to know the company let me know..,...

So you all know as this has been a total ball ache and i HATE being accused of doing something i havent. They have now said i clearly have no understanding of consumer Acts and that it is all my fault! Yet if they read back to all my emails NOT once do I mention the other item.

They have now sent out a courier to collect the item. My, was that hard work for them to get back their correct item. I wish i had not told them i had both now. I think they are thieving B*****DS.

If anyone wants to know the company let me know..,...

is it likely to be a company the majority of us use?

Oh, absolutely, TORQEN are THIEVING BA$TARDS, stay clear away! They tried to rob James for £4.45 shipping cost via Royal Mail! They even discounted the price for him, unbelievable!

James, you should have kept the original item, "you shouldn't have told us about it", keeping something that you haven't paid for makes you legit :)

Being charged for your mistake makes me wrong -nope.

Did I tell you honestly that i have wrong item - yes.

have you been going on and on that i legally abide by your rules that i should pay. yes

Should I pay. No.

would it have been easier for you just to have said that you were sorry you had sent the wrong item and please return with the following pre-paid label. yes

Nowhere does it state if you send the wrong item, We as a customer have to return the item at our costs.