Young driver + 500bhp = Death

Stu R

Think my agegroup were lucky, the sheds we could afford were unable to do any sort of speed without falling apart. Nice gentle learning curve. My son who is 23 has written off two cars, both times he was very lucky. The second time the car rolled down an embankment and it was some time before it was noticed.

I am pretty lucky i have never had a crash touch wood! I am only 21, but our age group are defo more likely to be in a crash, simply cause we let the blood rush to our heads and stick the food down. Most of my friends have wrote off their cars aswell. But i am extra carefull when in my wee ZED, especially in this bloody weather. Looking forward till summer for some nice dry roads

I am only 21, but our age group are defo more likely to be in a crash, simply cause we let the blood rush to our heads and stick the food down.

Didn't anyone tell you it's dangerous to eat while you're driving ;)

hahah! oopppss sowweeee :p typo "foot"

You kno wat bugs me tho! You can smoke and drive but not drink a bottle of watter! How the hell does that work?

Not good. But I do think new drivers should have to do their 'apprenticeship' in cars that they have to learn how to drive in properly. None of these driver aids, and no big power.

I'm 27 and my little 957cc Fiesta allowed me to learn all sorts of stuff without any ABS, servos or multipoint injection getting me there quicker than I could cope with. Despite having raced karts etc when younger, too much damage can be caused on roads IMO. :dry:

An 18 year old behind the wheel of a 500BHP car and in their own words having very little experience of such machines, asking about rough changes at 140mph was only ever going to end one way.

REading the following article - it would appear it was the fathers car:

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080126/B ... AKING_NEWS

You do have to question what type of moron hands the keys of a machine like that to an 18 year old driver with no experience for him to go out with his young buddies, what exactly was the expected result?.

It sadly wont be the last story we read like this though Im quite sure.

Not good. But I do think new drivers should have to do their 'apprenticeship' in cars that they have to learn how to drive in properly. None of these driver aids, and no big power.

I'm 27 and my little 957cc Fiesta allowed me to learn all sorts of stuff without any ABS, servos or multipoint injection getting me there quicker than I could cope with. Despite having raced karts etc when younger, too much damage can be caused on roads IMO. :dry:

I agree with you mate. I learned in a 1.4 foucus! Had that for 3 years and made my mistakes in it. Which i much rather do in that than my zed. Although am still learning to properly drive with such a powerful car, its all a bu#ig learning curve but oh what fun am having in my wee car :teeth:

I agree on the whole but most of my mates have powerful cars i was 20 when i bought my Evo 8 and tuned the to 380bhp admittedly i dont drive like a tit all the time and dont race everything but i think with some cars you need to be able to apply common sense. (obviously driver aids help though lol) :teeth:

Truly awful and we all know this happens too frequently.

The sense of invincibility in young men I think is part of life's programming. It only takes an very very small amount of time for things to go so terribly wrong. The statistics on "crashes" when a young man is driving with passengers in the car is a huge percentage jump over young men on their own in a car.

Not far from us a young man went missing and was found some days later in his car in a ditch full of water, on his own. I think he was just 18.

Seems it was the guy Steve_b posted about the other day. Not good.

Having said that, I know a guy who had the following cars from 17 - 20:-

Impreza P1

BMW M3

Porsche 911 Turbo

Ferrari F430 Spider

Lambo Gallardo

Back to the Ferrari

And he drives very sensibly. Bit of a tool, but drives them well.

I still think people should have to earn the right to drive something that can kill so many so readily.....

Seems it was the guy Steve_b posted about the other day. Not good.

Having said that, I know a guy who had the following cars from 17 - 20:-

Impreza P1

BMW M3

Porsche 911 Turbo

Ferrari F430 Spider

Lambo Gallardo

Back to the Ferrari

And he drives very sensibly. Bit of a tool, but drives them well.

I still think people should have to earn the right to drive something that can kill so many so readily.....

wow thats some car list!!! Very lucky lad lol

Yeap same car. Think its now on almost every motoring forum there is.

Just sad story. Even the stupid do not deserve to die that way (100ft in the air and hitting a tree). As long as we all learn that cars are dangerous and be careful.

Just think, its the same airstrip that John Travolta uses. Now if he did the same thing with a Boeing then would be a nasty mess and the tree might not have won/

Nothing to do with this case whatsoever, but what a bunch of crap is that article?

I mean they nearly explain us what color underwear those guys wore on each day of the week, giving heaps of completely irrelevant information just to get more "emotion" in the story, while it basically boils down to "idiots forget to use brain and kill themselves" ....

Nothing to do with this case whatsoever, but what a bunch of crap is that article?

I mean they nearly explain us what color underwear those guys wore on each day of the week, giving heaps of completely irrelevant information just to get more "emotion" in the story, while it basically boils down to "idiots forget to use brain and kill themselves" ....

I agree to a certain extent but not with the plural. The driver was the idiot and decided to risk his friends lives. The passengers may have encouraged him but its the driver who makes the decisions :dry: