How to stop cats...

...doing cat saveloys on my front garden. Does anyone have any tips apart from the obvious ones such as, shooting them in the face or, digging a pit and throwing some underfed Rottweilers in. i tells ya, some cats in my neighbour-hood must have cleft arse-holes. The girth on those turds is remarkable. I would've called Roy Castle if he were still alive.

if anyone can speak from experience, i'm all ears!

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

Lion Dung :scare: Blimey!! lol that should do it, god knows where i'd get that from, but i like the idea of black pepper there Dan. That's worth a punt.

Plus i'll try the orange peel soaked in eucalyptus.

Then i'll try both at the same time with some Coleman's and Tabasco.. Burning ring of fire. " and it burn burn buuurrrns! the ring of fire, the ring of fire! "

Also worth trying some cat pheromone spray, on the same basis as the lion dung theory: If you can make the garden smell like it's owned by another cat, then others are more likely stay away. I have no idea how good these sprays on the internet are though.

• Like 1

As long as it doesn't cost the earth, i'm willing to try anything. This is all good stuff guys, i really appreciate it. I'll have a search online this afternoon and in the mean time get the pepper. i'll have to do a bit of steaking out and report back.

Colchester zoo actually give away Tiger poop for the very reason you are after. Bigger cat scent keeps away smaller cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does a uk based cat know what tiger dump smells like until it meets one, you know, face to face?

• Like 2

+1 on the orange peel and eucalyptus.

You could also try lavender, peppermint, orange or citronella essential oils mixed with 3 parts water and sprayed.

Anything citrussy should do it.

In my experience all of the above will only work temporarily.

Our cats our old and no longer leave the garden. I gave up trying to prevent them doing their business on the flower beds years ago. Nothing worked for long. Now it just gets picked up with a trowel, bagged and left in a bin at the end of the garden until bin collection day.

Edited by sipar69

I have the same problem - right outside my door I have a small area of soil with shrubs in and three small outside lights. It has been so vigorous in trying to bury it, it has actually smashed one of the lights! I do like cats but it's not something I want to be greeted by when I open my front door. You can buy stuff from B&Q to sprinkle on the garden which I was going to try but I might give the pepper a go!

Our cats our old and no longer leave the garden. I gave up trying to prevent them doing their business on the flower beds years ago. Nothing worked for long. Now it just gets picked up with a trowel, bagged and left in a bin at the end of the garden until bin collection day.

I have an old cat too that doesn't leave the garden - I don't mind getting rid of hers but other cats' poops make me want to puke! It must be like only being able to change your own kids nappy! :lol:

Colchester zoo actually give away Tiger poop for the very reason you are after. Bigger cat scent keeps away smaller cats

How does a uk based cat know what tiger dump smells like until it meets one, you know, face to face?

Instinct I'm guessing

Nixy if you have just a small area to worry about I'd suggest getting some large(ish) stones from Homebase and putting them where there is bare soil.

Yes I was thinking the same actually!

I have an old cat too that doesn't leave the garden - I don't mind getting rid of hers but other cats' poops make me want to puke! It must be like only being able to change your own kids nappy! :lol:

It helps that ours are on a diet food called Satiety which makes for very dry poop which hardly smells at all. :)

Lay down some chicken wire, wire it up to the mains in the house and flick on the switch.

Not only will it keep them off the lawn but also occasionally treat you to an amusing sight of a loud meeeeowwwww and a cat flying through the air. Double win.

• Like 3

I don't know about stopping cats from pissing and sh*tting in your garden, but I know how to deactivate them for short periods of time

Edited by -G-

Are you sure it's cats and not foxes (Or a dog)? Cats generally prefer flower beds or sand as they naturally want to cover up their peeps and poops... Just a thought?

Depends on the cat from my experience. I see some using the flower bed and then happily digging a hole to Australia as they attempt to hide it, others just take a dump in the middle of the lawn then leave the scene as quickly as possible. One cat in particular is so keen to distance himself from his poo, that before its even hit the floor he`s half way over the fence. Ive never seen anything like it, its like a greyhound out of the starting blocks.

We (unfortunately against my wishes) have 3 cats. All were house cats for many years until we decided to let them roam outside. All 3 will happily play outside, then come in and use their litter tray to take care of business before then going outside again. I (again, against my wishes) am the person who has to sort their trays out and they actually fill 2 builders buckets full a week. So not an insignificant amount.

My neighbour on the other hand has 2 cats and I watch them happily leave his house, take a massive dump in my garden, then go straight back into his house.

I had a conversation with him once about cat litter and he says that they dont have any litter trays and he happily lets their cats do their business outside. He seemed to think that was perfectly acceptable. So I think a lot of it is down to the owners who have this sort of attitude. Its a bit petty, but usually if I find any of their cat poo on my lawn I chuck it back over their fence.