Please sign this petition - remove the need to display front plate

ZeppoJeff

I'm pretty sure that mobile speed cameras face forward so that the operator can see the vehicles coming towards them. Anyway, probably against EU rules not to have a front number plate :stir::lol:

Pete

If immigration continues at the rate it is we will never get number plates off the front of cars

Hahaha you guys have a point.... Vote out :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!!

Edited by FiddyZed

I wouldnt have been bothered with the 350z, but my R33 looks much better without it, so i'm all up for this :lol:

And I agree, why can motorbikes get away with it? Maybe if this doesnt work out, they should try and get them fitted to the front of them..and push bikes..and horses :lol:

This cant happen... i recently bought 2 private plates, plus i would need to respray my bumper loool

That's a good point, but I would imagine that if the law was ever passed then I don't think it would be a requirement to remove your front plate.

Having said that, I found this.

Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you don’t have to.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

Am I the only person who finds this actually ridiculous?

For a start youd have to replace all front facing ANPR cameras (carparks and petrol stations usually use the front plate for a start), the police would only have 50% as much chance of identifying a car they were after, youd have no way of identifying the person driving towards you (be that just to wave at a mate or to be a witness to an incident) and you wouldnt actually be able to identify your own car from the front either, not a problem if you drive a Nismo 370 but might be more of an issue for a grey Ford Focus owner.

If you want your car to look better then wash it more often ......... ;)

Also, I'd prefer that people started petitions about the real motoring issues.

prison for uninsured drivers,

stop manufacturers trying to make it illegal to modify a car,

prison for honda jazz drivers,

force adult cyclists to have insurance,

raise the motorway speed limit to 80 because it will mean we can get up 2 minutes later,

allow a major road race like f1 or something in London,

stop making the mot test ever more ridiculous in some attempt to stop people from modifying their cars,

make horses on the road have headlights and indicators,

anything over

"I don't like it because it makes my car look ugly"

edit: some of these may or may not be serious

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 4

As for Police patrols driving around then there would still be the same chance as there is now. They could be driving behind a stolen car & spot it or if they're in front of a stolen car not spot it as the ANPR cameras in patrol cars AFAIK do not point backwards at the front of following cars anyway. :shrug:

No, but they do point forwards so they catch cars driving past them. Remove the front plate, and you instantly remove that ability.

You know what Dan I realised that literally 5 minutes later after I had turned my laptop off but thought "s*d it I'm not turning the laptop back on now, ...I'll just take the flack for being wrong". :D;)

• 2 weeks later...

Petition outcome...

In the interests of road safety and to support law enforcement, the Government will not be changing the legal requirement for vehicles to display front and back number plates.

UK legislation specifies the position at which number plates must be displayed on a vehicle. The main purpose of number plates is to make vehicles readily identifiable for the purpose of law enforcement, road safety and the collection of vehicle excise duty. In addition, members of the public who report incidents to the police are often aided by the presence of both front and rear number plates

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is widely used by the police and others for the purpose of detection and prevention of crime and to support road safety. ANPR is critically dependent upon the presence of clear and readable number plates on vehicles.

In the interests of road safety and law enforcement the Government will not be changing the legislative requirement for vehicles to display front number plates.

Department for Transport

Edited by coldel

No chance. If my car gets nicked, I want as many ways of it being pinged up on ANPR as possible.

This is why no-one takes these online petition things seriously. Do we really want our politicians wasting their time over trivial stuff like this?? I certainly don't.

There are more ways to identify a car than just from the number plates. Plus there are enough cameras in Big Brother Britain to get poached from any angle these days. I've signed :)