How fast before it gets unstable?

Banz

If im driving on national speed limit. The most I would go is 10% above before i had my zed. Ive never lost control, drifted or skidded since ive started driving. Probably only tripped abs once on my 4x4 on black ice. But that was doing 5mph.

Yesterday I took the zed on the motorway for the first time. Just following the flow of traffic on M1 at under **. However it was raining and i recall that on the forum, people have lost control of their car at high speed in the rain. So i drop back down to **. But cars in mid lane was going faster.

I also never experienced such a heavy steering so i tend to hold it with both hands with my zed. But the suspension is so hard that if i hit a small pot hole, my hand jerks and it turn the steering. Whereas my other car, I only hold with 1 hand as it is light.

Presumably with the speed that im driving. I dont really have to worry about losing control of the car? As afterall it is a sports car and is designed to go fast and stick to the road. If i just drive it like my 4x4 then hopefully ill never lose control of it?

Mod Edit - speeds removed. This is a public forum open for anyone to view. Also the Team are expressly against speeding.

I've hit the limiter at 155mph on the way to the Nurburgring. Felt absolutely fine! You've nothing to worry about at normal road going speeds.

Edited by RyanT

As long as you have decent tyres at the right pressure and nothing's wrong with the suspension, you'll be fine. That is with the caveat that you understand a bit about how to keep a car stable at speed. But no, the zed isn't unstable at speed compared to other cars. The more tense you are, the more you'll unsettle the car, as it sounds like you've discovered :)

I got up to 140 once and it felt fine and then I thought that was fast enough. Felt very stable. The Z always feels very stable at higher speeds (where permitted of course). As long as you don't try and make a sudden steering I out you'll be fine. As others have said good tyres help. If you're still on the OEM bridge stones then it's worthwhile changing them as they are so hard and give a bumpy ride and tram lining in anything other than temperatures above 20 degrees. They felt terrible in a straight line at 50 as winter temperatures started to come in. Had so many moments with them that I decided to get winter tyres and also switch to Michelin pilot super sports for summer. Best upgrade I did to the car, so much more stable and grip when you need it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldnt dare turning TC off. Maybe in a year or after some track time to learn the basics. Ive never pushed any of my previous car to the limit. But with a zed, I get too excited at times.

I was going around a big bend on the outside lane at 50mph. I slowed down so much that a MPV overtook me from the inside. My lane merge into his and I shouldve got infront. But I was worried about accelerating too hard at a bend. Although i know the concepts on counter steering but have not done it nor do I want to do it on normal roads.

Im running MPSS 19" on 30 psi rear and 28 front.

Edited by Banz

Couple of day ago i went over the last digits on my speedo. 280 km/h are last numbers. I was thinking it around 240 km/h until i gave a look on speedo

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

woah...those pressures are wrong surely ?......35psi front and back is the norm

]

This for starters. 28psi is too low for motorway/urban driving a heavy car like this.

And secondly you should go and get yourself booked in for a 4 wheel alignment check with a before and after printout by the sound of it.

Once you've done both of the above, report back.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks the car is actually pretty hard to provoke? Even in the wet with TC off... You've got to really jab at the wheel / throttle to get it unsettled.

Edited by RyanT
  • Like 1

Shouldn't be posting that you break the law on an open forum banz...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said.

Think about what your posting on an open public forum. I've edited your original post.

• Like 1

Im concerned about your apparent lack of driving skills and your complete lack of confidence in the car and yourself.

Even in heavy rain, my Z always felt stable and planted at national speed limit on the motorway.

Why do you think that if you turn traction control off you're going to be reduced to doing 360's instantly?

Just don't plant your foot in lower gears and you'll be fine. It's not a suicide button. Common sense is far safer than traction control.

You'll sit at exactly 77 mph but 78 is suddenly too dangerous? And you were scared to take your Z on the motorway?

You sound like a 90 year old lady.

The Z is great at high speed. It's heavy, it's wide and low. Aquaplaning is dangerous in any vehicle but again, common sense. Ease off the gas slowly. Keep both hands on the wheel. Don't jam the anchors on and swerve. Simple. But again, because the Z is heavy and stable, aquaplaning isn't as unpredictable as in say, a Micra which will literally just float on the surface and be flung around.

It sounds like there may be something wrong with the vehicle if your wheel is snapped out of your grip going over a small pothole.

So I don't know wether it's your lack of confidence or skill or that the vehicle is somehow unstable.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

Not sure what to make of that...but anyway lol.... The old girls reasonably stable. It'll happily, on a safe legal closed place, fire its way up to an 'indicated' 160 and itll feel fine as long as you don't ...you know ..swerve or something lol. Steering in general is a heavyish thing and its great for it at pace but as said get those pressures to 35psi all round. In the wet its pretty alright too as long as you dont be silly and stab away at the controls. I've had it slip n kick very slightly before and sometimes its just down to luxk n circumstance... the traction/esp can be dim witted if it wants to be and sometimes gives you a fright in wet weather but rarely. Just take some time to get used to it the Zs a very hefty handling car in its feel and controls. Make sure it has decent tyres... its the first car I can honestly say I noted the difference even with 2 types on the front n back axel... I immediatley changed to the same all round. With this kinda performance you do need good tyres or it will send you into a kerb one day if your not careful. And in terms of the hard suspension...its just like that im afraid but the wheel shouldnt be bucking out your hands unless your flyin through big pot holes or genuinely not gripping the wheel right. Both hands perhaps lol or maybe your tackings out?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AMT

Hey SteveoD! Yeah I think people noticed that I'm running it at the wrong pressure with MPSS at 30PSI. However the pots holes are quite bad at Cambridge and I already feel the ride is really rough. But I really struggle with the steering with my weak arms. I'm going to pump it to 35 next time.

TT350, yeah you're right about self confidence. I drove a Lexus RX300 in the last 10 years. You know when you just switch back to a manual car, it's like learning how to drive again. I've been driving such a big car with good view of the roads, it actually makes me nervous driving a small car that is so low to the ground. I don't put my foot to the ground, my Lexus is max 6k RPM and I can count the number of times that I went to 4k RPM.

The body roll of the car on the lexus is hideous, so I've never really driven that fast in it. Now with my Zed, it is a different story. I don't get much body roll so I tend to drive it faster than I drive my lexus. I still can't get used to going over potholes, I can barely feel it in my RX whereas I feel like the Zed is like going on bouncy castle. I know it's a totally different car and I just can't get used to it.

I only driven 150 miles when I made this post so please excuse my ignorance. Have driven nearly 200 miles over the weekend and I'm more comfortable with it now. I keep having to tell myself there is 6 gears and sometimes I do have to check which gear I'm on. But hopefully I will soon get used to driving manual again.

Edited by Banz