Muhammad Ali Dies Aged 74

neo

Very sad news, he was one of the reasons I took up boxing as a kid although I never really knew what he had campaigned against and his other achievements outside of the sport until I was older.

Someone who can truly be called a great. R.I.P Muhammad

Arguably the most recognised sportsman of the last century. If you are a 70's kid like me that grew up with wresting on a Saturday afternoon at 4pm on World of Sport with Dickie Davis then Ali ( a boxer I know!) was a significant part of my childhood TV memories. My Dad didn't often comment on sporting matters but use to call him Motormouth. He was iconic and I had a Ali glove puppet with a trigger grip that would punch out - Terrorised my brother all through Christmas and Winter in 1975 with it and the cat!

The years weren't kind, Parkinson's Disease robbed the world of a mind and wit that was faster then his speed in the ring. I feel privileged to remember watching the Michael Parkinson's interviews live on the Beeb. One of sports eternal.

He first came to my attention when he fought Henry Cooper back in 1963, I don't remember him winning the Olympic Title in 1960, in fact I don't remember much at all about that Olympics. When he fought Sonny Liston in 1964 I thought he'd take a real beating and I was pretty shocked when I got up to go to school and my Dad told me he'd beaten Liston. I can remember most of his fights, "The rumble in the jungle", The thriller in Manila" and so on. A truly great boxer and a great person. Although its so sad to see him go in many ways its a blessing as he'd suffering really badly in the past few years. There'll never be another one like him....RIP

Pete