Bottom end failure

checkers88

So I think my 350z has thrown in the towel. Today while out on a first date of all things I noticed my car was making some faint knocking sounds from the front, as I arrived at my destination only a mile or 2 away I noticed it was much louder and sounded like the bottom end had gone (knocking in time with the revolution of the crank). I pulled over and lightly revved it with my head under the car and it's clear that it's coming from underneath.

I had no choice but to abandon my date (for which she was understanding about) and take my car home. As I was driving it back I noticed the red oil light flash up but only for a couple of seconds. I pulled over again to check there wasn't an oil leak anywhere then I stupidly pulled the dipstick out while the engine was running and got covered in it. It's fair to say I've had better days/dates but incase there is something else that this could be I'm thinking my engine is kaput.

If I leave the car sat idling you can hear a slight knock which gets progressively worse at the revs rise. I'm not mechanic but from a quick search online people with similar symptoms are claiming the bottom end has failed and it basically needs an entire new engine.

What the hell do I do?

As to what to do -

only have 2 choices - New engine or a rebuild that's going to cost around £1.5 to £2K

or

Sell the car as is with engine fail - going to get really stung on the price though :( as anyone buying is either looking at scrapping it or putting a new engine in so will deduct that cost from the value.

Good Luck

sorry to hear that dude! I've killed engines before in the way you describe, unfortunately its either new engine time or new car time - and I guess that decision will be decided by what condition the rest of the car is in. if its an otherwise perfect car that would still be worth £7-8k i'd stump up for a replacement engine, but if it was a high miler with some rust and other niggles, i'd stick it on ebay as is, let someone buy it for spares, then buy another one.

Either way i'm afraid you're £2k out of pocket :( On the plus side you'll be religiously checking oil levels now!

Get new engine fitted, chuck the cost on a 12mth 0% card, worry about it later? At least you'd get the car up and running.

If it's your only car, it's going to cost you at least £2K in selling it on and then buying a new one, so you wouldn't actually be any better off.

Sorry to hear that man!

Agree with everyone on here and as Ekona said - stick it on 0% credit card... Tesco do 18 months 0%, which I think is great and takes minutes to apply and get answer online.

I managed to get it to garage this morning and after 4-5 mechanics scratched their beards while inspecting it they came to the conclusion that it's cylinder or piston related. Oil is spitting out of the exhaust pipe. Firstly incase it's the big end they're gonna pull the sump off and have a look. I'll know more tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I managed to get it to garage this morning and after 4-5 mechanics scratched their beards while inspecting it they came to the conclusion that it's cylinder or piston related. Oil is spitting out of the exhaust pipe. Firstly incase it's the big end they're gonna pull the sump off and have a look. I'll know more tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If they reckons it might be top end it could be worth a cheeky borescope down the plug holes, will be a lot cheaper than sump removal ......... but if youve done any kind of damage to the head or bores its probably going to be new engine time anyway :(

I think with the cost of a 2nd hand engine, it makes much more sense to me to just buy an uprated bottom end.

Contact Torqen.

Who is torqen?

Pro trader on here :thumbs:

And I see you have started another thread here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/108518-350z-needs-new-engine/

Which has already attracted options you can follow up on and Emperor has just posted up about a a Zed recently arrived with a good engine

I think with the cost of a 2nd hand engine, it makes much more sense to me to just buy an uprated bottom end.

Contact Torqen.

Who is torqen?

Pro trader on here :thumbs:

And I see you have started another thread here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/108518-350z-needs-new-engine/

Which has already attracted options you can follow up on and Emperor has just posted up about a a Zed recently arrived with a good engine

I'm not sure how to search forum members using tapatalk. Can you some way tag me in the post where the engine is available? Sorry for being senile.