Shipping Container as a Garage?

14N

Not a serious enquiry, just thinking out loud.:lol:

Was wondering - Could a large shipping container be used as a garage to store a car? I don't mean for an extended period without use, but maybe as somewhere secure to keep a car only used on weekends etc?

I've noticed there are a number of places renting a container for circa £20 a week. You rent the container and use it to store whatever you like.

If there was a 'storage yard' close to, or relatively close to home, could a container be used as a garage? :shrug: Thoughts?

• Like 1

I can sell you one ! Being in the liner shipping biz !

There's not much room at the sides your internal width is 2,348 mm and a 350Z is 1815 mm so you got half a meter to play with to scramble in and out. Containers also hold moisture in the air and the wooden floor so if using for storage would need a desiccant as dehumidifier. We do move cars in both 20's and 40's and its possible for long term storage but regular short terms in and out would be a pain with the width

Well that was a short discussion :lol:

Just Googled 'car in a shipping container' and there are plenty of images supporting your comments guys. Although there is plenty of room to store a car in one, there really isn't enough room to get in or out comfortably.

Lambo doors anyone? :teeth:

you can get open tops - container side with a canvas roof - thats how we move overheight cargo

if you are lucky you can also get FSA (full side access) Military spec where the sides open as well as the doors - that would solve the width issue

20ft_full_side_acces_-_2.jpg

• Like 2

you can get open tops - container side with a canvas roof - thats how we move overheight cargo

if you are lucky you can also get FSA (full side access) Military spec where the sides open as well as the doors - that would solve the width issue

20ft_full_side_acces_-_2.jpg

That looks too nice to store a car, could put a TV a corner cabinet and a nice sofa in there and make it a man cave haha!

• Like 1

Mate

I lived in a converted container out in Bosnia during the war !

A lot of Oil project workers have camps made up of containerised units from accom to shower blocks and kitchens - all container based

• Like 1

Mate

I lived in a converted container out in Bosnia during the war !

A lot of Oil project workers have camps made up of containerised units from accom to shower blocks and kitchens - all container based

Same as Silverstones Snoozebox's - So cosey! Edited by Grundy@TeamTarmac

We have a building in the university i work at call the temporary building, its made up of 20+ of these 3 floors, about 100ft long and 50ft wide lol temporary building.. still there 4 years later.. and probably will be for another lol

I use shipping containers for storing all types of stuff and as my previous post, providing plenty ventilation then all will be good.

However, I have found that the best way round this is to use an old refrigerated container (the type that you see on an artic) which have 100mm insulation all round.

I stored my Jag 5.3 V12 convertible in one of these for 10 years.

20ft-reefer-6.jpg

• Like 3

Reefer boxes can do -20 to +20 no issues although power bill would be pricey unless running a clip on genset

you can get insulated boxes which are the same without the cooler unit