Rookie looking to purchase a Z in March/April

Hi All

Im new on here, and ive been lurking around for a few months, Ive had several entry level vehicles so far, which included a civic 02, toyota paseo, civic 06 Been driving for 7 years, but drove before that, ML 320, merc e180, S500 etc in America, also driven mates m3 e92 430 bhp,

I was going to get an Audi A5 3.0TDI but I started looking at the Z along with endless research, then checked out some videos online and thought why not go a different direction as there is only 1 in my area i see regularly and the only car worth turning my head for. why follow a crowd eh

My ideal would be a 2005 with 80,000 or less miles 2 owners, grey, silver or black. Budget would be around 6k- 6.5k. I have to wait till end of march because insurance runs out then also i get my 6 years no claims which means my policy will be £700 average.

To change now means I would shell out £660 for 6 weeks cover. No thanks :/

Long term keeper, hopefully short term plans to add nismo body kit, updated rear lights, black case headlights, exhaust depending on whats on there and nice wheels/mm spacers, maybe a remap/spacer in the distant future, Keep for 3-4 years depending on circumstances. Last V6 i drove didnt drink gas, my golf was £50 pound a week on petrol averaging 30 miles a day lol, and i know this may be as thirsty but a natural V6 is too good to turn down. Especially one I grew up with on playstation ;-) Big fan of Jap! Sorry to go on... :)

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

Hi welcome to the forum!

Only just recently bought a zed myself a weeks ago, having looked around for about 4 months until the "right one" came up! Be sure to be patient as they come up all the time, but what you get for your money can vary massively depending on how well it's been looked after!

Good luck with your hunt, and if you find one just stick the ad on here and the guys here will be sure to help you out and give you some pointers!

Welcome to the forum. You won't regret buying a zeeeeee.

There's some buying guides on here, but the main things that I can think to look for are:

Standard Exhaust - weld between the straight pipe and the back box usually goes (happened to my 350, good excuse for a cobra)

P3 and Belts - Always nice to see the car has had a recent P3 and belts done.

Bose CD Player - CD's skipping is a big issue with the 350z and also nice to get one witht eh aux mod already carried out.

Big bonus if it's previously been on the forum too as you can see what's happened/if people know it's no good haha.

Sorry if this is all sucking eggs. Can't think of any classic 350 issues at the moment, sure there are a few more.

• Like 1

There's some buying guides on here, but the main things that I can think to look for are:

Standard Exhaust - weld between the straight pipe and the back box usually goes (happened to my 350, good excuse for a cobra)

Bose CD Player - CD's skipping is a big issue with the 350z and also nice to get one witht eh aux mod already carried out.

Big bonus if it's previously been on the forum too as you can see what's happened/if people know it's no good haha.

Sorry if this is all sucking eggs. Can't think of any classic 350 issues at the moment, sure there are a few more.

Ill be looking at a pioneer android/wifi 7" touch screen, how do aftermarket units go with the Bose system?

p3 priority 3 service? and belts? Fan and Alternator? what about timing chains, worth getting that checked straight after purchase? I always take my car for a check up and full service thats if the inspection checked out okay and I bought it.

My colleague and brother have both used Click Mechanic for inspections. They do a 118 point check for under £100 pounds, But the results probably vary from mechanic to mechanic lol

Will be sure to post an ad I find, thanks

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Ill be looking at a pioneer android/wifi 7" touch screen, how do aftermarket units go with the Bose system?

p3 priority 3 service? and belts? Fan and Alternator? what about timing chains, worth getting that checked straight after purchase? I always take my car for a check up and full service thats if the inspection checked out okay and I bought it.

My colleague and brother have both used Click Mechanic for inspections. They do a 118 point check for under £100 pounds, But the results probably vary from mechanic to mechanic lol

Will be sure to post an ad I find, thanks

I have not done any ICE mods myself on a zee, but I know a lot of people on here have changed head units etc successfully. I have a friend who has recently taken all of the bose speakers, sub and amp out and replaced them. He reckons it is 10x better. (user: syy)

P3 service on the 350 is like a major. When I bought mine the garage did one for me and a couple of mates have also managed to get that thrown in as part of the sale too. Just adds a bit piece of mind. Some people may disagree with me. Yeah I've personally not had any belt issues, but again from what I have read on here they should be done (like any car) at a certain mileage, again not sure what that is without checking the forum.

Yeah, definitely post the advert of any potentials on here. There is so much knowledge on here (a lot more than me I'll add).

Good luck with the search!