370 into 350

zebedy

As you know, I don't do things by halves as far as my car is concerned. Last Sunday, having looked at Andy's 370 and how nice His dash looked, I was wondering if a dash swap can be achieved. Yes I know its alot of work, that I can do, but does anyone know off hand if this has been done before (any links would be handy) and also how different dimensionally the 370 is to the 350 regards to from pillar to pillar and the rake angle of the front screen screen?

Just early stages at the moment but If I can see that it can be done, I'll do it and give it ago. I've exterior on the car is more or less finished so its the interior next.

• Like 1

i'm not sure you appreciate the magnitude of that task.

Doing a full dash swap on a like-for-like is a ball ache as it is. Now add the re-wiring that would be required, new clip points and fixings etc.

and that would be assuming its geometry is pretty identical.

you're best bet to answer this question (assuming noone else has done it) is to get down the breakers and put them back to back on the ground to size up.

• Like 1

If I recall the width of the 50 differs from the 70, so you've got your work cut out there for sure!

But the 370Z is wider, wouldn't that make it easier? (i.e: Trimming parts down rather than filling gaps)

I think that's why it's possible in VAG cars. I'd love to see it done!

zzzebady ............... for christs sake just buy mine and have done with it :lol:

You really want that ?********? don't you. Lol

OK, seriously guys its a mamoth task, we all know that and the technicality does not bother me. I'm a mechanical design engineer by trade and solve problems every day, and also sub contract to a few F1 teams so I have the know how. If it can't be done, I'll get it done. If the 70 is wider from pillar to pillar then that's a bonus.

Gonna start looking at sourcing a 70 and 50. So most will be done off the car and in my workshop, using the 50 as the main template for all datum points. The elecs will then be separated into various looms, tackling the job in car as it were.

Just a thought, I could buy a front section of the car with a dash, cut and keep the crucial parts I.e. inner wings, pillars, front firewall. Mount this structure onto a skid frame on castors which would act as the perfect jig.

Any thoughts guys, keep me coming.

• Like 1

If you're going to that much effort, you could make something MUCH better than the aesthetic mess of the 370 interior. Personally I'd go with something like in the 650S or the Huracan, a proper angled centre console would be immense.

i think it would be trick to see a clean 350z, look inside and see a 370z dash, steering wheel, clocks, centre console and door trim panels. a dash looking like its from a different manufacture will look stoopid imo.

Edited by davey_83