Friend in car crash - Shocked

TomBorehamUK

Not a facebooker so instead I'll use the forum to have a spill. I'm absolutely shocked, just got news an old mate from college has died in a car crash last night, you just don't expect it to be someone you know. Really sobering and makes you think about those people in your life when something like that happens, and urges me to get back in contact with those I've not seen in a long time!

• Like 2

Someone I knew died not long after passing his test a good 10/11 years ago now, the sad fact is that he managed to ruin someone else's life while he was at it. I guess that's what made me respect cars/the road from an early age as I didn't want to end up in a similar situation.

Thanks for the kind words guys

It's still not totally sunk in, just read the police statement saying he was 'probably going to fast for the road conditions' Unfortunately what he loved - cars, bikes and speed proved to be his downfall, I'm just glad the guys in the other car weren't seriously injured. Funeral is in 2 weeks, time to find a shocking pink suit! :)

sorry for your loss - but to be honest I have little sympathy for someone crashing due to excess speed on a public road, especially when another innocent vehicle was involved. Of course circumstances may be different, but from what you've put it doesn't sound like a simple accident that has unfortunately lead to a fatal crash.

Well of course, I understand it would be hard to find sympathy for someone you don't know and also without knowing the circumstances but I don't believe driving like a complete idiot and driving too fast for road conditions are entirely the same thing, I think we can all confess to making a mistake on the road, coming out of a bend too fast or braking too late etc, chances are we get a scare and learn from it, some just don't get that wake up call.

I have a lot of respect for the road and wouldn't defend reckless driving I just don't believe, knowing him that it was.

Edited by TomBorehamUK

Sad to hear this. Every time we venture out onto the roads we are all just one mistake or one momentary lapse of concentration away from serious injury or worse. I'll add to that, one mistake or lapse of concentration by someone else can the same consequences.

Pete