Just drove the new Mustang. V8 manual = love

Mikevv

Mate,my wife is American and I can tell you for nothing that living in the USA is expensive.Houses maybe cheap but taxes,health care etc costs a fortune.All 14 members of her family would love us to live there but all agree we are financially better off here.They are in Connecticut for the record.

Edited by Payco

Mate,my wife is American and I can tell you for nothing that living in the USA is expensive.Houses maybe cheap but taxes,health care etc costs a fortune.All 14 members of her family would love us to live there but all agree we are financially better off here.They are in Connecticut for the record.

But the standard of living is so much higher. First of all they have this weird thing called sun and warmth, haven't experienced either in the UK ;)

Everything there is cheap, and wages generally are a lot higher. Taxes are <10% usually so that's not bad, but I hear income tax is worse, haven't researched it cause I'm not going to live there any time soon. The Mrs refused to live there, despite never having gone there. My bro's SO lives in Cleveland if that's any difference? I know the west coast is expensive to live in, houses included.

But when you can buy a fairly newly built 2 bedroom/2 bath "condo" for £40k/$60k you'd be mad not to ;)

Just get one of those internet brides, pray she's an alright human being and actually female, and greencard for you :3

I just can't get a mortgage alone on my @*!# wages, barely afford a shed, let alone a damned house. UK housing market is pathetic,

I do agree with you that the UK housing market is pathetic but I don't really believe you can't get a mortgage (unless your credit rating is f**ked in which case you shouldn't be able to finance a new car).

Have you honestly looked into mortgages at all? Been to see various building societies/banks or mortgage brokers etc yet?

My fiancees brother & his wife are trying to get their own home here in South Wales. Due to his wife (something to do with previous debts/bad credit) they cannot get a joint mortgage together so it will solely be on him.

He is a low earner and in fact earns less than yourself ~ he doesn't have much in the way of savings either but after looking around was offered a 95% mortgage with a building society for £80K with himself having to stump up £4K for the house deposit.

It doesn't give them a lot of scope for houses in their area at all but it's a start. When they eventually find a house they like it will be the start for them and hopefully 5+ years later they'll be able to move to a better size/nicer home.

That's how it works, ...nobody moves into a 5 bed, detached house with double garage & a GTR parked outside when they're your age unless they're people from wealthy families, successful entrepreneurs/young business starters or Lottery winners (but I'm sure in your heart you know all that).

Not being harsh just my 2pence. ;)

• Like 1

All I can say is your lucky your not in Aberdeen I had to do a mortgage on a 1 bedroom house for £135,000 wtf were as in my home town i could of got a 3 bedroom with garage for £130,000 I felt really sick but at least the market stays steady in aberdeen and if the oil picks up down the years could get some profit. Also I wouldn't like to live in london seen its like £100,000 for a shed and that.

My issue is I'm too irrational/spontaneous hahaha. I SEE, I WANT. That's why I take loans haha. Hate waiting around for savings etc. Figured just borrow the money, have my toys now and pay them off slowly :)

I just can't get a mortgage alone on my @*!# wages, barely afford a shed, let alone a damned house. UK housing market is pathetic, if only I had a green card for the states. Houses are cheap, as is the fuel (albeit bad quality) and they have all the guns you can ever wish for.

I think the 'theme' of what people are saying is maybe its time to grow up a bit, and take some responsibility in life ;) .

Who doesn't want a big house, nice car, no worry about cash, but real life isn't like that...

As for moving to the US to chase the 'American dream', yes people here have nice lives….If you have the $$$$. I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency in century place in LA at the moment, looking out of the window I can see a row of homeless people who have no access to health care, no access to benefits, essentially get ignored and treated as no-bodies just across the street. I took a bus to Santa Monica beach yesterday for $1.25, the hotel concierge was shocked I would even consider taking a form of transport that exposed me to the great un-washed, and yes a few of the homeless uses the buses to move from one begging spot to another. No they didn't bother me, it was just sad to see people living like this in the most developed nation on the planet.

How well do you think your get on in the US with an attitude of borrowing money like there's no tomorrow to waste on cars/toys?? Unless your a true genius/entrepreneur your 'American dream' is more likely to end up been an American nightmare.

As others have said no one can walk into a nice car, big house etc, infact your borrowing habits is probably whats letting some fat cat banker in London do exactly what you want to do - live large for not much effort, by living off commission they get for lending out money.

Also don't bank on your other half bailing you out just because she's going med school. Uni tuition fees are £9000 a year now, so 5 years of medical school will leave her with £45K of debt to pay off, starting salary for a junior doctor is £22,000 BEFORE TAX. You can do the maths your self on how long it will take her to pay of tuition fees :surrender: .

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 4

All I can say is your lucky your not in Aberdeen I had to do a mortgage on a 1 bedroom house for £135,000 wtf were as in my home town i could of got a 3 bedroom with garage for £130,000 I felt really sick but at least the market stays steady in aberdeen and if the oil picks up down the years could get some profit. Also I wouldn't like to live in london seen its like £100,000 for a shed and that.

Ive just bought a 2 bed flat just outside of watford for £285k, thats the cheapest thing in our area and we got lucky getting it. there is a new development of flats where they are asking roughly what i paid for mine for a studio! and they all sold! madness

My issue is I'm too irrational/spontaneous hahaha. I SEE, I WANT. That's why I take loans haha. Hate waiting around for savings etc. Figured just borrow the money, have my toys now and pay them off slowly :)

I just can't get a mortgage alone on my @*!# wages, barely afford a shed, let alone a damned house. UK housing market is pathetic, if only I had a green card for the states. Houses are cheap, as is the fuel (albeit bad quality) and they have all the guns you can ever wish for.

I think the 'theme' of what people are saying is maybe its time to grow up a bit, and take some responsibility in life ;) .

Who doesn't want a big house, nice car, no worry about cash, but real life isn't like that...

As for moving to the US to chase the 'American dream', yes people here have nice lives….If you have the $$$$. I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency in century place in LA at the moment, looking out of the window I can see a row of homeless people who have no access to health care, no access to benefits, essentially get ignored and treated as no-bodies just across the street. I took a bus to Santa Monica beach yesterday for $1.25, the hotel concierge was shocked I would even consider taking a form of transport that exposed me to the great un-washed, and yes a few of the homeless uses the buses to move from one begging spot to another. No they didn't bother me, it was just sad to see people living like this in the most developed nation on the planet.

How well do you think your get on in the US with an attitude of borrowing money like there's no tomorrow to waste on cars/toys?? Unless your a true genius/entrepreneur your 'American dream' is more likely to end up been an American nightmare.

As others have said no one can walk into a nice car, big house etc, infact your borrowing habits is probably whats letting some fat cat banker in London do exactly what you want to do - live large for not much effort, by living off commission they get for lending out money.

Also don't bank on your other half bailing you out just because she's going med school. Uni tuition fees are £9000 a year now, so 5 years of medical school will leave her with £45K of debt to pay off, starting salary for a junior doctor is £22,000 BEFORE TAX. You can do the maths your self on how long it will take her to pay of tuition fees :surrender: .

Great post and adding some reality to the discussion. To the OP listen to this guys, he speaks the truth.

Ive just bought a 2 bed flat just outside of watford for £285k, thats the cheapest thing in our area and we got lucky getting it. there is a new development of flats where they are asking roughly what i paid for mine for a studio! and they all sold! madness

Are you near the TW sewage treatment works?

So I think the theme is and no offence, your constantly punching above your weight. You didnt want to drive some sh*t box, wasnt willing to drive any of those, the places you can afford are utter cr*p etc etc

Enjoy the zed, at 21 its an awesome car to have, its a never ending circle, the mustang is just the next stepping stone, there will be something else and the cycle continues.

Not far, just up the Uxbridge rd in mill end, are you from this area?

Not far, just up the Uxbridge rd in mill end, are you from this area?

No, Reading but OH is seconded to TW there as Senior QS/PM. Blue Scooby 'WRX' plate, might see him about.

• Like 1