Thankful that it was an Eddie Stobart lorry that hit me

NeilMH

Going down the main A23 today past Croydon at the notorious 5 Ways traffic lights in my 23 year old Toyota Corolla. Two lane traffic. Me on the inside, Eddie Stobart lorry about 3/4 car length behind me on the outside, me going straight ahead.

I don't really know what happened next but the next minute the back of my car is being pushed towards the kerb, then I am spun round, then the lorry is pushing me sideways along the A23, with the lorry tight against my driver's door (and most of the offside). I end up being turned right round the wrong way.

The driver was totally professional, calm and organised. He was mainly concerned about my welfare and made lots of calls from his cab. Photos and details were taken. We both behaved like grown ups, mainly relieved that we were both ok.

I speak to my insurers and explain the circumstances. They say "let us make some phone calls and see if we can get you some good news". 3 hours later a phone call from Eddie Stobart Head Office. "We are so sorry for what happened to you this morning. We totally accept responsibility and we will arrange to take you car away and put it back how it was and we will confirm all this in writing. Also I am offered a hire car at their expense.

Getting the parts could be a challenge for them (!) but it looks like mainly doors and wings and a bumper. So now my insurance company will just be "noting for information".

Oh and by the way, I was able to drive the car home, albeit gingerly (thank you Mr Toyota). There were no signs of pulling to one side or other, even marginally. I guess it helped it was a big flat lorry almost exactly at right angles to me.

We'll see what happens next but have been very impressed so far by their reaction.

• Like 3

You are lucky with the company being well known. I had a right mare in a similiar situation because the driver of the lorry involved didn't own the cab that he was driving so couldnt provide the insurance, and the company named in the livery didnt own the cab either so had to pass me to a third party who did etc, they then wouldnt provide details before confirming with the driver etc. All in it added a good 3 weeks to the process just chasing for details!

When an Asda delivery van wrote off our Focus despite me contacting them and saying that we had a witness of the incident they denied it saying no vans went down our road at that time. When the same delivery driver had to deliver to the witnesses address and she collected his name and formally identified him they accepted it but then still dragged their heels. After many calls and frustration, I just put a short post up on Twitter hashtagging them and it was all sorted within a week. Not all large companies sound as decent as these guys!

When an Asda delivery van wrote off our Focus despite me contacting them and saying that we had a witness of the incident they denied it saying no vans went down our road at that time. When the same delivery driver had to deliver to the witnesses address and she collected his name and formally identified him they accepted it but then still dragged their heels. After many calls and frustration, I just put a short post up on Twitter hashtagging them and it was all sorted within a week. Not all large companies sound as decent as these guys!

This is what you almost expect to happen (ie. Corporately to deny everything). It also seems that the Eddie Stobart driver had been totally truthful about what had happened (he seemed like a really decent guy). It would seem that their brand means something to them.

As far as I'm aware Eddie Stobart underwrite their own insurance due to the size of the company, as they take a lot of pride in their reputation i'm not surprised they have done this.

Glad you are ok and the Corollas getting fixed, can't be many left on the roads now

Thanks Ewen and everyone else for your comments. Prior to the scrappage scheme there were like loads of them. Now I only see a decent one come for sale about once a month. They were made to an incredibly high standard (e.g. SS exhaust from new). Having said that they were expensive at the time. We bought it in 1992 for £11,586 for a 1.3 basic liftback auto. Seems like good value over time though.

Rare event to hear good news about a coming together that is hopefully going to be resolved without argument, but keep an eye on that "noting for information" by the insurance co in case they try to use that as an excuse to raise your premium next time round.

No doubt the fact ES underwrite their own insurance means their drivers do not have go into auto pilot to deny responsibility, unlike everyone else who immediately worry about insurance cover/cost at next renewal....

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're okay but I have to say, so it was you that delayed my trip home via the Purley way! :lol:

Cheers Dip. I'm only guilty if you were coming home at 7.50 in the morning in the "wrong" direction :)

I have spent many unhappy hours on the Purley Way over the years.

I'd be very surprised if ES Group underwrite their own insurance. They'd be utterly crazy if they did, and I don't think they're that bonkers.

Made me check (see the "wheels-good deal" section here:

http://content.yudu....esources/18.htm

So not their own company then.

Oh well looks like another myth busted :)

Incidentally two other things.

One, surprisingly, I felt pangs of sadness when I thought it was going to the salvage yard in the sky - we bought it from new - and yes, it's not the most exiting car on earth - but it has been flawlessly reliable and has done a lot of hard work in those 23 years. It was serviced properly, washed and polished but not pampered in any other respect. I am big fan of things that work properly irrespective of how "flash" they are.

Second, pretty much everything still works. Both offside doors are somewhat concave (!) yet the central locking (by key) still works. The mirror has been smashed to smithereens but the remains still operate via the little joystick on the inside. The drivers door is somewhat closer to the dashboard than it was :lol: The only thing is the window will only go down about one inch (tut,tut).

The Eddie Stobart man has already been round to have a look and take pictures. Naturally it's beyond "economic" repair but it is repairable. The main thing is that the basic structure is sound. Front and rear wings can be done by a panel beater and the two doors sourced separately. They are going to write to me with their proposals.

• 3 weeks later...

Eddie Stobart wrote to me and formally confirmed they were responsible for the accident. There were 5 panels damaged including 2 doors. Attempts to work out a local but economic repair have fallen on stony ground. Even getting the doors 2nd hand has become a big problem (without buying a whole running car). Have decided to accept their very sensible/reasonable cash offer for it go to salvage and me to buy another one. Off looking at some replacements tomorrow. There aren't that many decent ones left to look at :lol: so it's easy in that sense.

My insurance company have confirmed that my no claims bonus won't be affected.

• Like 1

That's probably the best outcome you were ever going to get and a pretty fast resolution so hats off to Eddie Stobart and good hunting, of course you could always take this opportunity to get another Z (it had to be said as you are on this forum !!!)

• Like 1

Eddie Stobart wrote to me and formally confirmed they were responsible for the accident. There were 5 panels damaged including 2 doors. Attempts to work out a local but economic repair have fallen on stony ground. Even getting the doors 2nd hand has become a big problem (without buying a whole running car). Have decided to accept their very sensible/reasonable cash offer for it go to salvage and me to buy another one. Off looking at some replacements tomorrow. There aren't that many decent ones left to look at :lol: so it's easy in that sense.

My insurance company have confirmed that my no claims bonus won't be affected.

That's good of them, how generous was the cash offer compared to the value of the car? I guess it's cheaper for them in the long run rather than court time & insurance etc etc.

• Like 1