Scotts Project 370Z

Scott TMN

Hi there mate, avid reader of your thread! Car looks awesome. Such a shame I couldn't have seen it at trax :/

Made me nervous now as I also have a fairly noticeable whine when under load. Should I prepare my wallet

Thanks a lot mate. Yeah I'm so gutted I couldn't make it! And I wouldn't know to be honest, I wouldn't say mine is under load, more low speed deaccelerating. And havnt actually linked any problems to it yet anyway, just keep an eye on it I guess. Hopefully it's just normal!

Those seats are great I like them in black

I'm going to get a set when I recover from house purchase

Sorry to see your having issues

Thanks mate, and if you do you shouldn't be disappointed with the seats! :)

This car is truly stunning and shows just how much money, time, and love you have put into this build

Thanks a lot Man, that's nice to hear that it shows :) change the wheels at id be at the point where I want it to be visually :)

Edited by Scott_f91

So update, though nothing exciting... managed to swap out the other solenoid on saturday. Only just got out in it properly for a road test, half hour into it... doing it again. :rant::surrender: :surrender:

A previous conversation with Sly, I had learnt that this is everything changed related to the code now. Short of the replacement solenoids not operating properly either.. :surrender:

Edited by Scott_f91

Nightmare Scott :(

Massively!

Put a sticker over it

Proper jdm style :)

Proper Jdm style would be at least driving right! Lol

£2.5k later and nearly 8 weeks without being able to properly drive it isn't good! Will give sly a call tomorow, think it's going to have to go back!

• 1 month later...

So update on the whole still not working saga. So end of October, got the Z back to Slys. Didnt trust the car atall, and knew it would be just my luck that I'd break down on the dartford bridge, so got it transported there instead..

79DC8CD6-4CE2-4ABC-B3D2-D761FCACE754_zpsk9sk9y4l.jpg

Made for a cool picture on the Kaizer facebook page.

E2313F75-6C82-4BAA-A196-C4C3C16236B1_zpsknhe0dtg.jpg

After a few weeks of having it and testing it, Sly couldnt replicate the low oil pressure error, however, the car did keep going into limp mode, sometimes bounce at 3k (maybe what was happening with me on my recent test drives?) and sometimes even falling out of gear. I knew my gearbox hasnt been 100% as I tend to get slip between 4-5 in manual mode, if i come to a stop its like it goes into neutral, then lurches me forward as I try to set of again, and I have even had it get stuck into what I suspect to be 3rd before untill I reset the car. Anyway this time for Sly, it threw 2 error codes on the gearbox, 1 of which basically listing every solenoid under the sun and the other being a G sensor. We agreed it would be cheapest and easiest for me 2 source a used box.

Luckily last Friday I managed to find one from a damaged 2010 roadster, with only 2400 miles on it for a good price, that arrived today, so fingers crossed!!

• 1 month later...

So another update..

0215239B-FBEE-4A11-AEF4-EDEB5993168D_zpsvudvqrks.jpeg

Gearbox in and tested, gearbox seems good, but original problem STILL there!

Spent some time researching in to what can be left as possible causes.. Found an interesting post explaining how that below 3500 the vvel is at minimum lift, and its after that that it starts stepping up. For this to work there needs to be good oil pressure (about 100psi).

Sly did pressure test it, but I wondered if this was at idle or through the rev range, where the pressure would increase, and any seals or gaskets leaks may become more apparent. Also producing the original error code of low oil pressure where a leak is not holding the pressure.

So seals or gaskets being 1 option, crank position seemed to be coming up as an option. The crank PS needs to be in perfect sync with the cam position sensors, faulty sensors have produced similar symptoms for others and no error codes, though the guy that had this had a much more intermittent issue than me. Mine is every time without fail after about 20-30 mins of driving (once the oil has warmed and changed viscosity maybe?)

Spoke to Sly about my findings and he said all seals and gaskets are fine, as they were checked and replaced when we did the timing chain chasing this problem the first time round. This put my mind at ease that at the time the infamous oil gallery gaskets were changed for the upgraded ones. We left it that I will start sourcing some sensors.

A while ago Adrian sent me this pic, a pic he got from Litchfield. This particular example of a dodgey is on a GTR with 30k miles, producing the same issue. I showed a mate this picture again, the same mate that helped me change the VTC solenoids over ages ago, said he was pretty sure mine was like that. So I gave sly a call saying hes pretty sure my seal was split. Sly said he'll check but they are split seals anyway, similar to that of a seal on a piston so it may be that, but hell check anyway.

5115D7E9-2CB6-4CF6-A1A1-498695E72313_zpsihjmnd0u.jpg

Anyway next day Sly calls saying hes found the problem, when they took the vtc cover offer to check the seals they found wear on the shaft bit itself.. not sure how or why. But definitely looking like it to be the cause, everything else seems ok.

How it should be

ADAF622E-9545-4181-9637-B31C0032540C_zpsbbpl5slx.jpg

And mine :surrender:

56DF6222-B4DA-4D38-B96C-10F5B52349B3_zpsjbhs7vhh.png

As you can see there is a fair bit of wear, Sly said they missed it before as it looks machined, its only when they see another example of how its supposed to be that it was obvious.

So I set about sourcing another cover as I didn't fancy nissan prices of £1200 :scare:

6315F75E-BBD0-4D5A-A529-0AB43FD8C182_zpse2le1vsz.png

Thankfully found one in the states for a very good price, so that's on the way, probably not arriving untill the end of the month however. Fingers crossed once this is fitted that will be the end of my problems, just want to get in the car again and enjoy it!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So it's back! 4 and half months since the intitial breakdown so safe to say I'm pleased it's finally back and working.

Went to pick it up from sly on the Friday. New part fitted, new gearbox fitted and MOT. Stopped off at bluewater on the way home to let the traffic calm down a bit..

CE2BAC98-9842-4ED1-B765-A517F30C1FE6_zpsu3k2kufi.jpg

E60EC08A-60CC-483B-8C09-9675096074FE_zps9mxhji9n.jpg

And finally home. First time the zed had been to my new house, whilst it was away I set about giving the garage a lick of paint ready for its arrival, hoping I'll squeeze it in ok. Thankfully I did :)

DC40B235-EA93-4D1C-85DF-13D141098AFF_zps94duqt2q.jpg

768FF2B4-47DF-425D-9853-868A98A59D32_zpsbei00ids.jpg

When out Saturday for a little drive, this time trying to have a bit more confidence in it, and all seems well. Having not driven properly for ages it felt like a rocket ship! Haha only little niggle now is I still have a little rattle up front somewhere. Hopefully I can enjoy it now :D

• Like 4

Cheers guys! Really hope it's the end of it now. Only concern is it doesn't do it again as we don't know what caused it. Everything else looks fine though... Hopefully the weather is nice enough to go for a drive Saturday! Then I think I'll pull the trigger on some new wheels :)

glad you got it sorted in the end after a long wait :thumbs:

I have been without my Zed for 3 weeks now and feels like an eternity :sleep:

Hurry up then man! Been following your build, really looking forward to seeing it complete!

FINALLY SCOTT!!!

Time to organise another zed meet I think!!

Definatley mate!

• 3 months later...