Star Wars - The Force Awakens Discussion *SPOILERS*

marzman

So am I right in saying Luke started training a new batch of Jedi but Ben Solo (Kylo Ren) turned to the darkside and slaughtered them all?.... then Luke gave up and disappeared. I just think it's set 40 years from Return of the Jedi, surely he would have created an army of Jedi during that time and some would have survived?

So am I right in saying Luke started training a new batch of Jedi but Ben Solo (Kylo Ren) turned to the darkside and slaughtered them all?.... then Luke gave up and disappeared. I just think it's set 40 years from Return of the Jedi, surely he would have created an army of Jedi during that time and some would have survived?

Maybe he did. Maybe he trained them all and then dropped them on different planets throughout the galaxy as one-person sleeper cells and that's why Rey has force powers. She was just too young to remember the training. He knew it was too dangerous to keep them all together with such a high force-concentration so he spread them out. B)

Maybe he did. Maybe he trained them all and then dropped them on different planets throughout the galaxy as one-person sleeper cells and that's why Rey has force powers. She was just too young to remember the training. He knew it was too dangerous to keep them all together with such a high force-concentration so he spread them out. B)

That's feasible, I hope we find out in the next film, need some new powerful Jedi, including Rey, I think she's going to be up there with Luke.

went to see star wars today. i thought it was ok but it didn't blow me away. i thought the father son thing had been done and done better in the first 3, usually all the other jedi needs loads of training but its like that woman woke up and could do everything, it took 3 films to destroy the death star that was 10 times smaller and in this film took 20 mins to destroy the planet. so it was a lot like the first 3 movies rolled into 1 and not done as well. and did mark hamil even get paid........he didn't say one word and hos only contribution was to turn round and take his hood down!

im a big star wars fan so if im missing something please let me know

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Slightly off the beaten path but, did anyone see a documentary on the history of Star Wars last night? It was pretty good and gave some pretty interesting facts of how the characters were changed in the process of making Star Wars. Apparently Han solo was supposed to be a green alien originally and they did 100s of sketches of the millennium falcon and never got to an agreed design. They had a break at McDonalds and when one of the designers bit into his hamburger, he thought that's what the Millennium falcon should look like.

Yes I watched it, Spike TV?! Just chanced across it really. Fascinating stuff. How the Force was not actually part of the movie originally and that Darth Vadar and Obi Wan were the same character, how he wanted to base it on a cross between a western and old WWII dogfight movies etc. Amazing how close it was to not actually happening at all.

Yes I watched it, Spike TV?! Just chanced across it really. Fascinating stuff. How the Force was not actually part of the movie originally and that Darth Vadar and Obi Wan were the same character, how he wanted to base it on a cross between a western and old WWII dogfight movies etc. Amazing how close it was to not actually happening at all.

Yeah!! on spike. T'was pretty good I thought.

Watched it last night and it was pretty good.

Good chance to get rid of some of the old characters whilst introducing the new ones who I think played the parts very well. Wasn't so keen on the general of the first order, did not really find him that much of an imposing character.

I'd rather hammer nails into my fun bag than watch this movie.

I just imagined you saying that in a Wookie-like voice ;)

Watched the film today and really enjoyed it. Completely agree with HiddenWomble about the film :)

i dont know why I dont like them so much, always loved star trek just couldnt bring myself to watch the rest after the first two.

I thought the movie was brilliant. As someone already mentioned; I was a bit miffed at how easily the 2 kids could pick up a lightsaber and successfully hold of Kylo Ren with zero training. It was literally only a few hours before that Rey wasn;t 100% sure how to use a blaster and suddenly she's turned into Zorro? The same goes for how quickly she developed her force powers. She didn't have to do any front-flips through the jungle whilst carrying a shrivelled frog on her back. Gutted doesn't even come close.

Secondly; Kylo Ren looks like a bitch. He actually looks like the bastard child of Severus Snape. They shouldn't have removed the mask.

There's a fan theory floating about that Rey is actually the daughter of none other than.... Obi Wan Kenobi. It's quite easy to find the story on google. Although all of the father/son/sister stuff is getting a bit bland.

Lastly; The First Order are basically Nazi Germany. Even General Hux is pretty much the 'is he/isn't he?' Space Hitler.

That'll do for now!

That'll do for now!

huzzah finally watched the film so can finally comment on this thread! overall, pretty enjoyable, even if it is just a remake of the first film. quite a few plot holes, namely regarding the death planet thing... the empire/new order have seriously got to start making better shieldied crafts, if it can be blown up by a few tiny x fighters and some insider help. although point taken that when its just absorbed the energy of a sun that its a bit volatile, but even so, you'd think they'd have learnt fro the first two deathstars.

secondly, the resistance has seriously got to up its long range radar - you'd think it would be quite hard to miss a massive death planet drifting into your system, they should have seen it a few lightyears away, unless it can move at lightspeed, which i somewhat doubt.

personally, thought the bad guy was pretty good... way better than anakin skywalker was, he looked pretty much exactly like i thought he would when he took his mask off.

and lastly i thought Rei's acting was actually a little lacklustre - i think its the curse of disney to have teenagers in leading roles, who just arent as good actors as more experienced people.

still, looking forward to the next one, and how a deathsun (trademark pending) can be destroyed by a mouse chewing through a cable. Almost as bad as blofelds base that is destroyed by a single lucky shot to a gas main, bad guys in films really need to up their construction and failsafes.

shes pretty much an exact cross between natalie portman and keira knightly, but strangely that doesnt make me like her... good on disney for using unknown actors though - its very hard to watch, say, a will smith film without constantly going 'thats will smith!'

hopefully she'll be better in the next two films, guess we're stuck with her now.

PS hope Han Solo remains dead - i like harrison ford, but he was never going to be able to pull off an old man version of Han Solo. Same with Carrie Fisher, all of the things that made Leia so good in the original films had vanished. Hopefully Mark Hamill will be able to pull off an old man Luke more in fitting with the original films.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally went to see this last night and, I have to say, I was pretty disappointed! :(

I could tell it was a J.J. Abrams film simply from the plot-recycling of the classic SW films:

Everyone chasing a droid...

On a desert planet...

Escaping the stormtroopers in the Falcon...

Han Solo in a cantina scene...

The main bad guy being all in black... with a helmet... and a funy voice...

Having to perform a rescue from the bad guys' base...

The parent/child dramatic meeting (on a gangway!)...

The X-Wings having to approach through a metal canyon...

In the gigantic death-dealing planet!

Honestly, what?! I mean, it was an enjoyable film in itself, but I don't think it brought anything overly new to the franchise at all.

If I'm brutally honest, I much preferred Revenge Of The Sith. Whilst it had it's flaws, it was a film with originality, whereas The Force Awakens just reminded me of Abrams' takes on the Star Trek franchise (especially Into Darkness).

There were some good points: Harrison Ford managed to pull off being an older Han Solo, in my opinion... and Ridley and Boyega did pretty well with their roles (although if Boyega's character had been brainwashed and programmed from infancy to be a stormtrooper, it didn't seem to take long for him to break free of that and start wisecracking a la Fresh Prince Of Bel Air!)

I thought Rylo Ken's character was a poor one and not a particularly intimidating villain, and I sure as hell can't figure out which of his parents he takes after cos he looks nothing at all like either of them! :lol:

Carrie Fisher looked and sounded pretty uncomfortable on screen and even C3PO seemed fairly out of character based on his previous depictions. I didn't like how Luke Skywalker was viewed as being "a myth" when it only been, what, 30 years since the fall of the Empire?

And I'm almost positive that Luke's last lightsabre (in ROTJ) was a green one! He lost his father's blue one at the end of Empire and made himself a new one for ROTJ... yet the one that calls to Daisy Ridley is blue... am I meant to believe that the blue 'sabre was somehow recovered from Bespin...? Or will it be revealed that he made himself another blue one after the end of ROTJ...?

This has turned into a bit of a rant, hasn't it! :lol: Oh well, here's my list of SW films ranked from best to worst:

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Revenge Of The Sith

Return Of The Jedi

The Force Awakens

Attack Of The Clones

The Phantom Menace

I'll get back to doing some work now..... :thumbs:

• Like 1

Saw this a few weeks ago . Made following points - Contrary to what you think I do like the Star Wars movies but not a fanatic.

The new bad guy is no Darth Vader he's more Dark Helmet ( Spaceballs for you young 'uns) If you are going to be bad - be very bad - stop pussying around and the lack of faith in the good/bad thing is disturbing.

Not exactly original is it ? Lots of powerful bad guys are beaten by a few plucky good guys who blow up the biggest weapon used by said bad guys against overwhelming odds ( never tell me the odds) I guess if its worked twice before why not really squeeze every last drop and go for the treble ?

Overall though was entertaining if somewhat predictable. I am of a certain age that saw the originals in the cinema and The Empire Strikes still far and away the best IMO. I guess it was all so new to what we were used to at that time. The Star Wars Franchise is a monster but too big a gap between the movies until now, but would say the Marvel movies are probably more fun to watch. Looking forward to Dead Pool in 3 weeks far more than I was for Force Awakens.

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

I agree, if I'd never seen the other movies I probably would have thought it was pretty good. I'm all for having a bit of a trip down memory lane, but my memory isn't so bad I can't remember the other movies and thinking "this is the same bloody thing!". Some of the acting I thought was fairly poor as well, when Han got killed, the look on the new young actors faces was pretty comical.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Not sure about Batman v Superman - will probably go see, I did enjoy Zack Snyders take on the Superman story but Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne will take some getting used to after Christian Bale. Its DC playing catchup - their own version of the Avengers, which incidentally brings up Captain America CIvil War due for release in May - that also looks very good but interested to see how much of the comic lore is used - here's the potential spoiler - in the comics Steve Rogers forms a breakaway Avengers team after all Super Heroes have to register with the US Government - he refuses and goes underground and is eventually killed (temporarily - it is comic fiction!) and Bucky Barnes ( The Winter Soldier and his best mate) picks up the shield becomes Captain America at Nick Fury's request

I'm really looking forward to Batman v Superman. I can only go from the trailers but it looks quite a dark movie with both Batman and Superman looking quite dark, complicated and sinister rather than squeaky clean. Plus the introduction of Wonder Woman might add a new element. Still, it could turn out to be utter pants. Captain America Civil Wars looks great also. Then you have Suicide Squad which could be interesting.